Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade The Lions Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honalulufan20

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Grade The Lions Draft Reply with quote

Overall Grade: B/B-

Honestly, I don't think this draft puts the Lions over the hump to become a play-off team. This season hinges on whether or not Matt Stafford can go back to his 2011 form.

Overall, the Lions did add talent, but maybe strayed from their win-now strategy.

Draft Grades-

1- 10- Eric Eborn TE UNC
GRADE: C+
Alternative: Cleveland trade back or Haha Clinton-Dix/Calvin Pryor

-I'm just not sold on any Tight End being worth a Top 10 pick. I wouldn't have traded the 10th pick for Graham or Davis, so assuming Ebron is even worth being mentioned with those names, he's still not worth a Top 10 in my opinion.

Just looking at Ebron alone, he only reached the End-Zone 3 times this season. Even if he were a WR, that production isn't worth Top 10.

I feel like Ebron is mostly hype over measurables and athleticism than pure talent.

Clinton-Dix or Pryor would have filled a need with two productive players with lower floors than Ebron, and higher ceilings.

2- 40- Kyle Van Noy OLB BYU
GRADE: A
Alternative: Same pick

-Van Noy was a good pick. Productive player that fits a need and will impact our defense. Great pick.

3-76- Travis Swanson C Arkansas
GRADE: C+
Alternative: Dri Archer

-The only redeeming quality about this pick was that we got our center for the next 9-10 years after this season.

Archer would've added an entirely different dynamic to our offense and special teams. Comparisons to Darren Sproles are accurate, but Archer may have more potential than that. Would've fixed multiple needs and made an immediate impact. Could've filled or lessoned the need at the slot receiver and given Lombardi an offensive weapon similar to what he had with the Saints.

4- 133- Nevin Lawson CB Utah State
GRADE: B
Alternative: Same pick or Vinny Sunseri

-Lawson could be a very good slot corner and gives depth if Bentley goes down to injury, which he has in the past. The fact that he plays corner elevates this grade.

Sunseri may have raised this grade assuming the Lions had done what they did in the first 3 rounds (Ebron, KVN, Swanson)

4-136- Larry Webster DE Bloomsburg
GRADE: B

-Great measurables, potential to develop. Good athlete that showed great production.

"B" grade because it may have been a bit of a reach. Not sure if they could've gotten him later.

5-158- Caraun Reid DT Princeton
GRADE: A+

-Unbelievable production at DT. Great sleeper pick.

6-189- TJ Jones WR Notre Dame
GRADE: B+
Alternative: Same Pick

-Nothing wrong with this pick. Good production.

7-229- Nate Freese K Boston College
GRADE: B-
Alternative: Gator Hoskins TE/FB

-Probably could've signed Freese as a UDFA. Fits a need with a good and accurate leg, so no complaints.

Hoskins also went undrafted, but was highly courted by teams before deciding to sign with the Miami Dolphins. Great production and a versatile weapon that could line up all over the field.

Alternative Proposed:
1- Haha Clinton-Dix S
2- Kyle Van Noy OLB
3- Dri Archer HB/WR/KR/OW
4- Nevin Lawson CB
4- Larry Webster DE
5- Caraun Reid DT
6- TJ Jones WR
7- Gator Hoskins FB/TE

Last edited by Honalulufan20 on Sun May 11, 2014 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of us graded it in the draft haul thread

I will just quote my response from there

Quote:
Think my final grade is a B-

Ebron- C-
Van Noy- A
Swanson- B
Lawson- C+
Webster- A-
Reid- A
TJ Jones- C
Freese- C

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably go with a C+. I (and everyone else) seem to forget that a C is average, so every team always ends up in the A/B range.

I liked our draft a lot, but I didn't think that we got any exceptional value or true superstars like we have in the past few years.

So my C+ isn't a bad grade. I liked the draft, especially the first three picks. It just wasn't a home run.
Montana badboy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
I would probably go with a C+. I (and everyone else) seem to forget that a C is average, so every team always ends up in the A/B range.

I liked our draft a lot, but I didn't think that we got any exceptional value or true superstars like we have in the past few years.

So my C+ isn't a bad grade. I liked the draft, especially the first three picks. It just wasn't a home run.

I think that's a fair analysis, though I never like to grade drafts until after the season, even that is probably too soon. This year Van Noy reminds me of the Warford pick from last year, a player that I keyed in on before the draft that I was thrilled to get, hopefully he has the same type of impact.

[quote="LionsFTW"]I would throw my $1300 50 inch plasma in the garbage if we drafted Fairley.[quote]
oda

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't grade it because they haven't played a season in the NFL yet. Am I happy with the picks? Yeah I'm fine with the selections, though, I had my heart set on Watkins, but what are you going to do, right?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D+

I do think the ten spot was one of the worst spots in the draft should have traded up or down either way could have greatly increased player value.

Love the Van Noy and Reid selections but other questionable calls bring down the value a lot, I think this would have improved our team the most:

1) Kyle Fuller DB
2) Kyle Van Noy OLB
3) Louis Nix III DT
4) David Yankey OG
4) Vinnie Sunseri S
5) Jared Abberderis WR
6) Seantrel Henderson OT
7) Michael Sam DE

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaze King wrote:
D+

I do think the ten spot was one of the worst spots in the draft should have traded up or down either way could have greatly increased player value.

Love the Van Noy and Reid selections but other questionable calls bring down the value a lot, I think this would have improved our team the most:

1) Kyle Fuller DB
2) Kyle Van Noy OLB
3) Louis Nix III DT
4) David Yankey OG
4) Vinnie Sunseri S
5) Jared Abberderis WR
6) Seantrel Henderson OT
7) Michael Sam DE

I would prefer switching Fuller with Clinton Dix and the switch Sunseri to a CB. Also not sure how Sam fits our system but would have been ok with it in the 7th.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Rockcity

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every single pick felt like a reach to me. to have this long and not have a better plan than that is just wow.all that talk about moving around...none of it felt bpa..I feel we only slightly got better and did nothing but put more pressure on our qb bc a top ten te pick..im still pretty pissed myself. that was a good draft damit. this is a D draft

can't wait for a gm
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, this team has improved but whether or not we improved enough to make the playoffs comes down to the coaching staff and in-house improvements.

Can Caldwell improve discipline, can Caldwell/Lombardi help Stafford play consistently with the ability he has flashed, can Austin develop of the talent on hand/utilize players to their maximum capacity.

If the coaching staff can do those things the Lions are in good shape. If not, it will be more of the same.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grade: Inc.

I'm optimistic, but it's ridiculous to grade right now. Let's see how the new coaching staff develops these guys.

I will say, however, that the Lions look like they got three starters, though counting the kicker is cheating a little bit, so in that regard they did what any sucesful drafting team aims to do. But there's no way to predict how well these players will do because we don't know entirely how they will all fit.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
My grade: Inc.

I'm optimistic, but it's ridiculous to grade right now. Let's see how the new coaching staff develops these guys.

I will say, however, that the Lions look like they got three starters, though counting the kicker is cheating a little bit, so in that regard they did what any sucesful drafting team aims to do. But there's no way to predict how well these players will do because we don't know entirely how they will all fit.

Agreed, last year Slay was an instant starter and no one mentioned Waddle after the draft. Now its the opposite. I think they added some solid talent, and will be interesting to see how they develop. I am excited for the development of last years class and the one prior as well with the new coaching staff.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not overly enthused about the draft although there are a few players that we picked up I had mocked to us.

Ebron- B - We re-signed Pettigrew, have Fauria on the roster and the guy we drafted late last year. Mayock has said he's a top 10 talent which might be the case. However, I feel like we should have traded down even at a reduced value. If he is as talented as projected, he could be a big difference maker on this offense. I'm a bit torn. I think he'll contribute but not at a Top 10 level.
Van Noy- B+ I like that we grabbed him in round 2. I don't like that we had to trade up to get him.
Swanson- C - I haven't done enough work on the centers. I did see a guy we've seen mocked to us in Larson drop out as a UDFA. So it makes this pick seem a little bit like we reached on it. Raiola is also here for at least another year, so his contribution will be little to none barring injury.
Lawson- C+ - I like the player and had mocked him to us before. I do think this is a bit high for him though.
Webster- A - I don't know much about him but to grab a guy who ranks only second to Clowney for athleticism doesn't sound too bad to me.
Reid- A - I have mocked him to us before. I like the pick and think he has a strong chance to be a solid depth/rotational guy if not compete for a starting spot in the next 2 years
TJ Jones- B+ - He doesn't have the size but he has excellent hands and route running. He'll be a great fit in the slot. I like the pick as I had mocked him to us before.
Freese- C+ - We took a kicker, so that's a plus. I don't know much about him although I have read he is consistent. Not sure about his leg strength.

Overall, I give this draft a B-. Ebron is the keystone to whether this will be a successful one or not. We did bring in three starters and drafted for depth, however I'm not overly convinced we really improved the team. We didn't get a WR outside of Jones, we drafted a developmental CB and we didn't take a safety.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: