Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Arizona Cardinals Season Prediction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will the Cardinals make the Playoffs this Season?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 10 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

mtdowner

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: 2014 Arizona Cardinals Season Prediction Reply with quote

Okay Cards fans, the major offseason events are over. We added some nice pieces in FA and some potential starters and contributors through the draft. We were a 10-6 team last season and the best team to not make the playoffs. We've still got plenty of offseason left, but did we get better enough to get over the hump and make the playoffs? This time last year many thought we were about a 5 win team. But I think it's safe to say we'll have a more positive outlook going in to this season.

Biggest Changes

1. Improved OL. We brought in LT Jared Veldheer through FA and we'll be getting LG Jonathan Cooper back from injury. Our left side should be very nice. I think we saw a bit of a different QB when Carson had some time to throw. I think we'll still see some stupid picks regardless, but I think his total # should go down. Our right side and center is still questionable. We've got two guys we like in Watford and Massie but the jury's still out on them.

2. Improved Secondary. We all know how bad we were against opposing TE's. Yeremiah Bell had his infuriating moments throughout last season. We drafted SS Deone Buccanon in round 1 who I believe will be the day 1 starter replacing Bell. The organization seems to think he can help slow TE's. Jerraud Powers was better than Bell but still had his terrible moments. We brought in pro-bowler Antonio Cromartie to man the #2 CB spot. He had an off year in 2013 though was playing through an injury. Many expect him to play more like his very good 2012 form rather than his poor 2013 form. FS/NB Tyrann Mathieu is coming off a major knee injury and his health could very well determine just how good our secondary can be.

3. Lost Karlos Dansby in FA. Dansby was playing at a DPOY level after Daryl Washington came back from his suspension. He was a huge playmaker and a major factor in the success of our team. He has moved on to the Browns. 2013 2nd round pick Kevin Minter has some big shoes to fill. On top of that, DWash may be suspended again to start the season depending on how Goodell treats his off the field incident.

I think one of the biggest differences for our team last year was that we beat the teams we were supposed to beat. Classic Cardinals would occasionally beat the tough teams and frequently lose to the terrible ones. That wasn't the case last year. Many of our losses came against teams within our division. Which brings me to my next point.

We are playing in the BEST division in the NFL. We may have gotten better but arguably so did every other team in our division. The 49ers and 'Hawks are 2 of the top 3 teams in the NFL. The Rams will have Bradford back and have a very very talented defense.

So, did we get better enough to make the playoffs? Predict our record and discuss our playoff chances.
TheMachONE

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Childish Gambino"]Funny the day you born that's really your death sentence[/quote]
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle 12-4
*San Francisco 10-6
Arizona 9-7
St Louis 9-7

The Rebuild Has Begun...
mtdowner

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
Seattle 12-4
*San Francisco 10-6
Arizona 9-7
St Louis 9-7

I agree Seattle is the clear cut division leader again. But you've predicted that the Cards are worse record wise than last year. Do you disagree that we've gotten better or do you just think we've got a more difficult schedule?

Not saying I disagree because I still get the feeling we're a 9-10 win team as well. My biggest concern despite making some improvements, is that Palmer holds us back from being an elite team.
holeman1

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we can split the division, go 3-1 Vs the AFC West and NFC East then win against the Lions and Falcons we would have a 11-5 record, not too bad.

I expact Seattle and San Fran to not go above 12-4 because they are facing a tough season too, the Rams should be sleepers because they have monster offensive and defensive lines after the draft.

Seattle: 12-4
San Fran: 11-5
Arizona: 11-5
St. Louis: 10-6 (assuming Bradford stays healthy and does his job well)

looking at all of these teams, I see a war going on, everyone is going to fight tooth over nail as this division is going to go surprising close, expect a lock on three NFC West teams making it to the playoffs this season.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
Seattle 12-4
*San Francisco 10-6
Arizona 9-7
St Louis 9-7

I agree Seattle is the clear cut division leader again. But you've predicted that the Cards are worse record wise than last year. Do you disagree that we've gotten better or do you just think we've got a more difficult schedule?

Not saying I disagree because I still get the feeling we're a 9-10 win team as well. My biggest concern despite making some improvements, is that Palmer holds us back from being an elite team.

I actually think Palmer will be better next year. He showed significant improvement in year 2 with the Raiders but I see other things working against us. Mainly the games where we'll be missing Washington/Mathieu plus Dansby was coming off his best season ever. Add the tough schedule and I think we'd be a playoff team in any other division.

The offense needs to average 26-27 PPG which is possible without the turnovers...

The Rebuild Has Begun...
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it stands right now; I'd say 7-9 is our worst case.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floor of 7-9
Ceiling of I'd say 13-3 (Far fetched but it could happen)

Realistically speaking we lose at least one of two to both 9ers and Seahawks and we probably lose to the Broncos

As for the if (50/50) games: Both Rams games, Chargers, Philly

Games that are lose able but I see us as the favorite: Dallas, KC, Atlanta, Giants, Detriot

Games I can't see us losing: Skins and Oakland

In the end I say we go 1-3 against 9ers and Seahawks, win both Rams games, lose to the Broncos. Lose to either Philly or Diego.

11-5

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Diego: W
@ New York Giants: W
San Francisco: L
@ Denver: L
Washington: W
@ Oakland: W
Philadelphia: W
@ Dallas: W
St. Louis: W
Detroit: W
@ Seattle: L
@ Atlanta: W
Kansas City: W
@ St. Louis: L
Seattle: L
@ San Francisco: L

Final Record: 10-6

I have us going on a 6 game win streak starting in week 6. The last 3 games of the season are going to make or break us. I think every team in the division is going to be fighting for a playoff spot. It will most likely take a minimum of 11 wins to finish 2nd in our division and get the 1st wildcard spot. I think the Panthers regress because of their lack of weapons and stable OL. So I think 10 wins will be good enough for the 2nd wildcard spot which will go to either us or the Rams.

I don't see any easy wins on our schedule but the nice thing about our road games is that outside of the divisional games the only game I don't like our chances in is the Denver game.

So we get in the playoffs with the 2nd wildcard spot.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how much weight this holds but Fanaika and Sowell are taking 1st team reps at RG and RT respectively in mini camp.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
Don't know how much weight this holds but Fanaika and Sowell are taking 1st team reps at RG and RT respectively in mini camp.

As they probably should be, experience. Not a surprise to me

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still dont believe in Palmer so going with no still.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
I still dont believe in Palmer so going with no still.

I think we'll see a bit of an improved Palmer with our improved OL. Last year was Palmers highest INT total as well as highest sacked total. I'm not sure whether there's a correlation there or not because I didn't really see a trend in his past seasons although sacks aren't always the best indicator of they amount of pressure a QB gets.

I think one of his biggest problems is he'll decide where he's throwing the ball pre-snap and force it to that receiver despite them being covered. That is an issue I don't see him fixing.

But the Saints game for instance he got so rattled by the pressure that we had no chance of winning that game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: