Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2014 Draft Discussion Thread II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catcheryea

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRO wrote:
I don't think we will have to worry about QB unless Sam gets hurt again. Had he finished last year out we probably would have gone 9-7 and Sam would have been extended. But he did get hurt so he will have to pick up where he left off and prove himself again.

Unless Sam finally proves that he is our franchise QB, I fell like he's gone. That includes if he has a similar season to last year where he played fairly well but got hurt. Anything below a good season and we cut ties. I just hope if that's the case and we go 7-9 again, we keep Fisher and Snead because they have been nothing but good for this franchise.

Jaboo2Rams

I am the Cinnabon of posters.
M_Phillips

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Silver's article about the Rams War room will come out tomorrow. Apparently had Clowney dropped to second they wouldn't have traded down and they Had Clowney and Robinson rated higher then Watkins. They told him a day or two prior to the draft they wouldn't not be drafting him.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely too early to tell, but next year in the first, i think we take either:
OLB/FS/WR in the 1st. A RT will be addressed in round 2 or 3. All the pundits that say Long will be gone after next year are insane. He'll only count 8mill against cap and will be what 29-30. He'll be a Ram for two more years min. Fish wont let him leave. Our defense is fine for years to come. Jake Long on the other hand, unless he has a dominant pro bowl year next year, could be a cap casualty unless he restructures.

Bottom Line: this team will be fine for plenty of years to come, I hope you guys are as excited as I am
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest wild card in this draft for us is Maurice Alexander. When we selected him, I said "who?". For me, it's a matter of trusting the FO, who has made a few bonehead moves (Quick, Pead, Watkins) but other than that has made excellent selection after excellent selection. I think if Alexander reaches his full potential, he could become a Kam Chancellor type player.

His addition makes me wonder one thing though:
Does he step in at SS and we move McDonald to FS? Or does McDonald stay at SS and McLeod stays at FS?
Thoughts fellas?

^El Ramster^
Golden_Knight5

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEASToftheEAST4 wrote:
The biggest wild card in this draft for us is Maurice Alexander. When we selected him, I said "who?". For me, it's a matter of trusting the FO, who has made a few bonehead moves (Quick, Pead, Watkins) but other than that has made excellent selection after excellent selection. I think if Alexander reaches his full potential, he could become a Kam Chancellor type player.

Does he step in at SS and we move McDonald to FS? Or does McDonald stay at SS and McLeod stays at FS?
Thoughts fellas?

McDonald is a natural SS, bigger, very physical, great in the box and very good against the run, his game is not FS.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden_Knight5 wrote:
BEASToftheEAST4 wrote:

Thoughts fellas?

McDonald is a natural SS, bigger, very physical, great in the box and very good against the run, his game is not FS.

Neither are FS, but G. Williams likes using box safeties to be aggressive and blitz/ play man on the back and TE's.
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Golden_Knight5 wrote:
BEASToftheEAST4 wrote:

Thoughts fellas?

Neither are FS, but G. Williams likes using box safeties to be aggressive and blitz/ play man on the back and TE's.

This is why I ask. While I realize that both McDonald and Alexander are your prototypical SS, our scheme has emphasized that our safeties are "interchangeable" rather having a distinct FS/SS.

^El Ramster^
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEASToftheEAST4 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
Golden_Knight5 wrote:
BEASToftheEAST4 wrote:

Thoughts fellas?

This is why I ask. While I realize that both McDonald and Alexander are your prototypical SS, our scheme has emphasized that our safeties are "interchangeable" rather having a distinct FS/SS.

Yeah, I just look at the best plays when he was in New Orleans and it was all heavy blitz packages and if the safeties (Harper and Jenkins) werent blitzing or playing spy on the back, they were playing from depth and breaking HARD in man anticipating the pass to come out quickly due to pressure.

I might just be foolishly hopeful, but I have a good feeling about Alexander. I really did want HaHa or Brooks, but I like this kid more than Pryor or Ward. Also Joyner in the slot in Williams D is gunna be a beast.

Overall Im just excited to watch our defense now that we have one of the best and most aggressive D Coordinators in the game. We may not know what we will get offensively, but our defense should be STOUT.
Rrrrrrrams

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't have a fs or ss, we have interchangeable safties.
gregg williams will use his s as deep as no one else in the nfl. at least thats what he said last week.
i bet thats why buchannon was the only saftey top 30 visit.
thats the kind of safeties this organisation wants.

btw
two more udfa

tavarius wilson, northern alabama, lb
abasi salimu, nichols state, ot
SJax39

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of worried about how many touches Stacy is gonna get with the drafting of Tre. I feel like he's earned lead back duties, but if he starts off slow, it could be the Mason show.

Now I just need to decide whether to keep Stacy or Gronk in fantasy... Confused

[b]CLOWNEY WILL NOT MAKE IT PAST #2
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge thing that makes Kam Chancellor the guy we all know is Earl Thomas. Thomas's absolutely insane range and coverage ability allows Chancellor to play the run and lay the wood on guys because he knows Earl has his back. You put Chancellor on a defense like ours with the safeties we've had over the past few years and his play would decline dramatically, IMO.

Saying that in reference to Mo Alexander being a "Kam Chancellor type player".... He won't be that on this team.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Sam jersey are number two sellers of all rookies so far. Sold more than clowney and was drafted two days after... Thats crazy!!

MMoses

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wasn't a really Sexy draft, but it was an NFC West draft, we got bigger, stronger and faster in the trenches and added another running back who can help Stacy carry the load.

We drafted to beat our league opponents at their own game

El Ramster on the sig
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted this on the NFL Draft forum, but also will leave it here:
St. Louis Rams

1.2, Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
He was the 2nd best player in the draft, so going BPA is a strategy that often needs no defense. However, he was also the absolute perfect fit for St. Louis. While Robinson is raw in pass protection and hand-placement, he goes to a team with one of the best OL coaches in football that can help quickly get him up to speed on fundamentals. If that wasn't enough, he's also not going to be thrown into the fire on the outside, instead we're going to start him a LG. Given his power blocking ability, he should be a force there from day 1. If Jake Long doesn't come back to what he was, we'll them be able to kick him outside next year. Long term, he's an impact LT who can be as good as he wants going to a team that has the staff to coach him up and the open slots to ease his learning curve. I can't imagine a better fit.

1.13, Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt
Good luck blocking our DL. Donald is a freak athlete at the 3-tech spot, and is likely going to get consistent one on one matchups with a RG. His weaknesses are that he can get overpowered sometimes when double-teamed and that he's not a 2-gap type DT, but the Rams are only going to ask him to shoot the 3-gap and if you double team Donald, Robert Quinn, Chris Long, and Michael Brockers are going to destroy you. He was a polished player who can come in and be a DROY contender right away, was great value (among the top 6 or 7 guys available), and our scheme masks his weaknesses perfectly.

2.9, Lamarcus Joyner, Slot CB, FSU
2 things to grade here - the trade up to get him (we threw Buffalo a 5th) and the pick itself.

First, the trade up. While I'm normally a fan of trading up, especially in deep drafts, the Rams saw a drop off in talent after Joyner and wanted to move ahead of Tennessee, who they suspected was taking him. Considering Tennessee immediately bailed out of that spot afterwards, it appears they were right. Given that the compensation isn't high (we gave a 5th round pick up), you have to like the move. Good research and execution by the Rams FO to get the guy we wanted.

The pick itself makes perfect sense. We had a glaring need at nickel back since Courtland Innegan aged roughly 15 years last offseason, and Joyner is one of the best. He's undersized, but is an explosive, physical player who will fit right into Gregg Williams' scheme and should start from day 1. A team in desperate need of secondary help got it, and didn't reach to do it.

3.11, Tre Mason, RB, Auburn
Apparently, this was a BPA pick. The Rams believe in their WR core, and Gregg Williams' defense doesn't require a rangy FS playing CF over the top, so with all their other needs addressed, they went with a luxury item. It's good value to get one of the 5 or so best HBs in the draft in the 3rd, and this does help address the fact that the Rams had very little depth at RB beyond Zac Stacy. I think this is the first pick that isn't a grand slam in this draft, but is still a solid double.

4.10, Mo Alexander, S, Utah St
When the first time you can use the phrase 'reach' is in your 4th round writeup, you did something right. This is a Gregg Williams pick through and through - Alexander does one thing right, and that's lay the lumber. He's also been given some praise for range, and while he's raw with off-the-field concerns, there's a chance he could develop into a starter. If not, he's a special teams guy.

6.12, EJ Gaines, CB, Missouri
Gaines adds really solid corner depth and is great value in the 6th - he probably should have gone at least a full round earlier. When you're talking about the 188th pick overall, being able to address depth at a position like DB is a win.

6.38, Garrett Gilbert, QB, SMU
Gilbert has a lot of tools, but bombed out and Texas before having success in the run-and-gun SMU offense. While he won't ever be a starter, he could develop into a solid backup, and you have to like his upside more than some of the SEC backups that everyone was hyping.

7.11 and 7.26, Mitchell Van Dyk, OT, Portland St. and C.B. Bryant, S OSU
Practice squad guys.

7.34, Michael Sam, DE, Missouri
A much bigger pick in terms of impact than for just football reasons, Sam is still a nice value pick in terms of football ability. He's got a high motor and some bend, was outrageously productive in college, and could see time as a practice squad type guy or in subpackages when we need to rush the passer.

7.35, Demetrius Rhaney, C, Tennessee St.
It's pick 250. I have no idea. But does it matter?

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
M_Phillips

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuickFeet10 wrote:
Michael Sam jersey are number two sellers of all rookies so far. Sold more than clowney and was drafted two days after... Thats crazy!!

I don't understand how when we don't even know what number he will be and it has him as number 10 when we know he can't be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 54 of 60

Jump to: