Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FFMD '15 Development Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 8216
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but you could have two shark tank spreadsheets. One that is locked and can't be edited, but just pulls the data from the actual shark tank spreadsheet. It basically just mirrors the data from what is happening on the real spreadsheet. This spreadsheet would be available for the general posters to view, and would allow GMs to post this link in their war rooms. This would keep any average joe from going in an editing the spreadsheet.

The actual shark tank spreadsheet link would only be sent to GMs. GMs may share this link with their AGM but no one else.
_________________

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dhunt2402


Moderator
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 22783
Location: The District
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Just a thought, but you could have two shark tank spreadsheets. One that is locked and can't be edited, but just pulls the data from the actual shark tank spreadsheet. It basically just mirrors the data from what is happening on the real spreadsheet. This spreadsheet would be available for the general posters to view, and would allow GMs to post this link in their war rooms. This would keep any average joe from going in an editing the spreadsheet.

The actual shark tank spreadsheet link would only be sent to GMs. GMs may share this link with their AGM but no one else.


You can actually control who can edit Google Docs by limiting editing permission to certain users. We'd just need to get GMs to submit their email addresses, and it would work with just one spreadsheet.
_________________

Deadpulse on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 8216
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Just a thought, but you could have two shark tank spreadsheets. One that is locked and can't be edited, but just pulls the data from the actual shark tank spreadsheet. It basically just mirrors the data from what is happening on the real spreadsheet. This spreadsheet would be available for the general posters to view, and would allow GMs to post this link in their war rooms. This would keep any average joe from going in an editing the spreadsheet.

The actual shark tank spreadsheet link would only be sent to GMs. GMs may share this link with their AGM but no one else.


You can actually control who can edit Google Docs by limiting editing permission to certain users. We'd just need to get GMs to submit their email addresses, and it would work with just one spreadsheet.
Alright nevermind then.
_________________

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 8216
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is to address my idea for a FFMD awards ceremony at the end of the whole process. The only way these awards will be taken seriously is if the FFMD staff takes them seriously and promotes them to the participants as being a big deal. If we can get people interested in earning these awards it could help us solve some of our behavior issues (complaints, overspending in free agency, dumb trades).

Also, I donít want there to be any awards singling out FFMD Staff, like best mod or best writer or anything, because everyone involved puts a lot of effort into making it a success and I donít want to leave anyone out.

The awards themselves should be decorative Sigs created by some of our posters who are much more adept at art than myself.

So here it is:

FFMD Awards

Premise:

The FFMD is a game designed as an interactive offseason experience for the entire Footballísfuture community. The FFMD is supposed to be fun, and a little friendly competition can add to the enjoyment of the process. However, there is an added emphasis on sportsmanship and cutting back on complaining this year that will be heavily weighed in these awards (Everyone SHOULD receive a perfect score on Sportsmanship, if you donít it will HEAVILY hurt your score). So enjoy yourself and compete your best, but remember to prioritize sportsmanship, after all this just a game.

Awards Council:

The Awards Council will consist of the Mod in charge of FFMD, the Mod in charge of Free Agency, the Mod in charge of the draft, a member of the trade council, and a FFMD writer. If one person fulfills more than one of these roles than a second writer will be added in his place. All five members shall be fans of different teams, elsewise a replacement will be found.

Timeframe:

Awards will be announced within 3 days of the end of the FFMD Draft.

Awards and grading parameters:

FFMD Winner Ė The Lombardi Award

- This is the top award a team can receive. The team with the top overall performance in FFMD will be considered the Winner of this yearís FFMD.
Grading parameters:

100 points = perfect score, points listed below are the most that can be awarded for each criteria

1. Free Agency Ė 15 points
2. Draft Ė 15 points
3. Trades Ė 15 points
4. War Room Creativity Ė 15 points
5. Participation Ė 15 points
6. Sportsmanship Ė 25 points

Best Free Agency Ė The Ron Wolf Award

1. Talent acquired Ė 10 points
A 10 point maximum can be earned for acquiring talented players in free agency.

2. Needs fulfilled Ė 10 points
10 point maximum for filling a teamís needs via free agency

3. Value Ė 10 points
10 point maximum for acquiring players at what is considered good value for the price paid.

4. Sportsmanship Ė 20 points
20 points for following the FFMD rules during free agency. These rules include all official rules on bidding and free agency practices as well as general sportsmanship shown to other teams. Also included is support from a teamís war rooms, if a GM goes rogue against his own war roomís wishes it will be deducted here. Finally, excessive complaining will deducted from this score. Play by the rules and all teams will earn a perfect score for Sportsmanship.

Best Draft Ė The Bill Walsh Award

1. Talent acquired Ė 10 points
A 10 point maximum can be earned for acquiring talented players in the draft. Judges will take into consideration where the players are picked as to whether these players were the top talent at the spot taken.

2. Needs fulfilled Ė 10 points
10 point maximum for filling a teamís needs via the draft

3. Other Ė 10 points
10 point maximum for ďotherĒ. This category will take into consideration draft day trades, acquisition of additional picks, or acquisition of higher picks via selling your own.

4. Sportsmanship Ė 20 points
20 points for following the FFMD rules during the draft. These rules include all official rules on posting draft picks and trades as well as general sportsmanship shown to other teams. Also included is support from a teamís war rooms, if a GM goes rogue against his own war roomís wishes it will be deducted here. Finally, excessive complaining will deducted from this score. Play by the rules and all teams will earn a perfect score for Sportsmanship.

Best Trade Ė The Jimmy Johnson Award

All trades throughout the entire FFMD process will be considered. The award will be a judgement call of the council. The council will take into consideration the price paid, the acquisitionís value added to the team, as well as a heavy emphasis on war room support of the trade. Any team that shows poor sportsmanship or excessively complains about a trade will be disqualified from this award.

FFMD MVP Ė The Tony Dungy Award

This award will be given to a non FFMD league staff member (All Team staff members are eligible including GMs), and will be given by the council to a member of the forum who went above and beyond to improve the experience of the FFMD. Obviously anyone displaying any form of poor sportsmanship or excessive complaining will be disqualified from this award.

Most Creative War Room Ė The Al Davis Award

This award will be given to the team with the most creative war room. The council will take into consideration the creativeness of the war room itself, including the OP and accompanying original posts. Also, the creativity of the teamís actions throughout FA and the draft should be taken into consideration. Poor sportsmanship or excessive complaining by a team will disqualify them from this award.

Best Participation in a War Room Ė The Joe Gibbs Award

The council will give this award to the war room with the best overall participation throughout FFMD. Items the council will take into consideration are total page count in the war room threads, number of posters actively participating in the FFMD, and anything additional a member of the war room may provide to the FFMD overall. Also taken in consideration will be the collective collaboration of all posters in a FFMD in trying to work together. Any problems with sportsmanship or excessive complaining by a team will disqualify them from this award.
_________________

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 14289
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First @ Mknight, I know dhunt countered your idea about 2 spreadsheets but I just wanted to say that I do think that was a good idea none the less .

I like your award ideas, though I wouldn't be against a "dunce mock" addition lol.
_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 8216
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
First @ Mknight, I know dhunt countered your idea about 2 spreadsheets but I just wanted to say that I do think that was a good idea none the less .

I like your award ideas, though I wouldn't be against a "dunce mock" addition lol.
There will be room to add additional fun awards, this was just my first draft. I also considered "best interviewee" for those who participate with the writers, and "best newcomers" or something like that which would be awarded to 3 people, for the best posters who had never participated in the FFMD before.
_________________

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dhunt2402


Moderator
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 22783
Location: The District
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
First @ Mknight, I know dhunt countered your idea about 2 spreadsheets but I just wanted to say that I do think that was a good idea none the less .

I like your award ideas, though I wouldn't be against a "dunce mock" addition lol.


Yeah I didn't mean to shoot it down, it was a good point and a real issue. I just didn't know if you knew that Google Docs allow you to accomplish it with one sheet.
_________________

Deadpulse on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 8216
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
First @ Mknight, I know dhunt countered your idea about 2 spreadsheets but I just wanted to say that I do think that was a good idea none the less .

I like your award ideas, though I wouldn't be against a "dunce mock" addition lol.


Yeah I didn't mean to shoot it down, it was a good point and a real issue. I just didn't know if you knew that Google Docs allow you to accomplish it with one sheet.
I did not. Actually the way you suggested is better because its protected to certain individuals only.
_________________

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ny92jefferis


Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 2415
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- There has to be some kind of restrictions on talent agency bidding because allowing all of them to be bid on at the same time would be chaos. Even with only 8 players per tier my team was bidding on 2-3 players per tier which is A LOT of work in 24 hours. The workload would be impossible if it were more.

- I don't understand how just timestamping your bid in the forum is any more work than it is now. Going on the google doc, and being able to immediately see who the high bid is saves me 90% of what my time was in the Shark Tank (digging through pages and pages of quote trees looking for bids). If all I have to do is enter my bid on google docs then timestamp it on the forum that is 100 times easier than it has ever been.


Perhaps Iím not seeing the big picture here but the way Iím seeing it is, I jump in the google doc and see that Tommy Boy has a bid on him. I place my bid becoming the high bidder. I then return to the forum to timestamp my bid. Return a moment later to realize he has another bid on him only moments after I left, I up my bid, then return to the forum to post my timestamp. Iím seeing double work, and Iím still not sure how much time I have to make that bid without ctrl + f to determine the time remaining. If the timestamped worked like we would like, I wouldn't be so reserved with this concept. I just donít see how that changes anything other than just having a record of who is available to bid on. Perhaps, you could explain the simplicity of this to me because Iím just not seeing it.

Quote:
From a participation standpoint, the Shark Tank before was chaos. It was nearly impossible to keep my war room up to date on what was going on and get them involved. Now I can just post the google docs link and everyone in my war room can stay fully up to date on everything that is going on. That saves me A TON of time, as I don't have to be constantly answering questions as to what is going on. That time saved I can be using talking in our war room about FA strategy.


I found the same problems with our war room. As lead capper, Iíd see some quality players get the axe or see that there were still some quality players that were available and would send our war room a heads up this guy is going for cheap we should make him an offer. Which showed me unless youíre monitoring it continuously, its very easy to miss out again I donít see how this doc would permit that unless the timestamp is linked to the players bid without having to post in the forum this information. Again aside from being able to show the war room which players are available I donít see how this is slowing the auction down to any degree.

Quote:
- Whether its 12 hours or 24 hours, someone could always make a last second bid. If you make it 24 hours I would be worried that the Shark Tank drags on way too long and that people lose interest.


Take the example I provided a few post back with Edelman. It took 4 days or so for him to final sign, the fix for this is to reduce the amount of money before the player is removed from the Shark Tank Agency and placed in the Talent Agency. I just donít see the logic is this. The shark tank is designed to promote a high bid wins, but with the talent agency looming over it the potential for an increased number of pitches is required so while youíve spent a couple days of auction bidding on the player in a high bid wins, there is now a greater chance that youíll still end up having to write a pitch and lose out because of a hometown discount, or his mom lives in New York.
Still not sold on the shark tank concept even with the spread sheet again it would be great if all this could be explained in greater detail.

Quote:
- You can't have a single free agency because of pitches, and contract structures. Asking teams to create a pitch on every free agent would be tedious. But you can't eliminate pitches either because there are people who enjoy them and it is a great way to get war rooms participating more (I've already discussed this). You're stating that you can still have pitches for certain levels of FAs, but then say that no matter what the players will go to the highest bidder. Then what would be the point in doing pitches at all?


Explain to me why the pitch is such an important part of making a contract?

My understanding is it is designed to sway the acting agent to accept a lesser offer based on scheme, hometown discount, previous team, etc. But how is that being measured? How much does it actually help sway a bid? For example the Giants bid 14 million on an offensive tackle called X. X receives another bid by Miami for 11 million. X grew up in Florida, has family there and a dog named spike that has arthritis. X loves the beach and bikinis. Knowing this information but based on that would 11 million be enough to win over the 14 million being offered by the cold weather bad for his dog and he wonít be seeing bikinis except for about one month of the year. If Miami is awarded the player donít you suppose that there might be some complaining because the Giants did offer 3 million more annually, however if the Giants win the bid, theyíll assume that it was because they offered more money. Does Miami have a lot of room to complain when itís clearly obvious that the Giants simply outbid them by 3 million annually? You get rid of the pitch, and in the long run the complaining would follow along with it, thatís my opinion though.

Quote:
As far as contract details, it would be very tedious to have to calculate multi-year contracts on all free agents. The simplicity of the 1-year contracts in the Shark Tank make the sheer volume of contracts being signed possible.


The spread sheet I created earlier for blind bids, makes calculating the multi-year contracts with easy and void of errors to boot. Itís also received in an easy format for the league office to copy and paste over to not only the master sheet to determine high bidder but it makes updating the team roster pages easy as well.

Also, the talent agency and shark tank to be viewed as a single unit; Iím not picking up whatís being put down. Youíve got two different names, two entirely separate set of rules for each one. One is blind bidding the other is auction, I see two things not one; neither of which are necessary unless the deal breaker is maintaining the separated blind bidding and auction bidding styles.

Look I get that you and dhunt arenít sold and probably wonít be sold on the single free agency concept of mine but if Iím building and putting the man hours into this at least wait until we test it before passing judgment. This model has worked for me in the past without any issues and it is a much smoother workload for both the GM and the staff running it.
_________________

Thanks IDOG_det

CLICK HERE TO JOIN MY GM MOCK DRAFT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 8216
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
Quote:
- There has to be some kind of restrictions on talent agency bidding because allowing all of them to be bid on at the same time would be chaos. Even with only 8 players per tier my team was bidding on 2-3 players per tier which is A LOT of work in 24 hours. The workload would be impossible if it were more.

- I don't understand how just timestamping your bid in the forum is any more work than it is now. Going on the google doc, and being able to immediately see who the high bid is saves me 90% of what my time was in the Shark Tank (digging through pages and pages of quote trees looking for bids). If all I have to do is enter my bid on google docs then timestamp it on the forum that is 100 times easier than it has ever been.


Perhaps Iím not seeing the big picture here but the way Iím seeing it is, I jump in the google doc and see that Tommy Boy has a bid on him. I place my bid becoming the high bidder. I then return to the forum to timestamp my bid. Return a moment later to realize he has another bid on him only moments after I left, I up my bid, then return to the forum to post my timestamp. Iím seeing double work, and Iím still not sure how much time I have to make that bid without ctrl + f to determine the time remaining. If the timestamped worked like we would like, I wouldn't be so reserved with this concept. I just donít see how that changes anything other than just having a record of who is available to bid on. Perhaps, you could explain the simplicity of this to me because Iím just not seeing it.

Quote:
From a participation standpoint, the Shark Tank before was chaos. It was nearly impossible to keep my war room up to date on what was going on and get them involved. Now I can just post the google docs link and everyone in my war room can stay fully up to date on everything that is going on. That saves me A TON of time, as I don't have to be constantly answering questions as to what is going on. That time saved I can be using talking in our war room about FA strategy.


I found the same problems with our war room. As lead capper, Iíd see some quality players get the axe or see that there were still some quality players that were available and would send our war room a heads up this guy is going for cheap we should make him an offer. Which showed me unless youíre monitoring it continuously, its very easy to miss out again I donít see how this doc would permit that unless the timestamp is linked to the players bid without having to post in the forum this information. Again aside from being able to show the war room which players are available I donít see how this is slowing the auction down to any degree.

Quote:
- Whether its 12 hours or 24 hours, someone could always make a last second bid. If you make it 24 hours I would be worried that the Shark Tank drags on way too long and that people lose interest.


Take the example I provided a few post back with Edelman. It took 4 days or so for him to final sign, the fix for this is to reduce the amount of money before the player is removed from the Shark Tank Agency and placed in the Talent Agency. I just donít see the logic is this. The shark tank is designed to promote a high bid wins, but with the talent agency looming over it the potential for an increased number of pitches is required so while youíve spent a couple days of auction bidding on the player in a high bid wins, there is now a greater chance that youíll still end up having to write a pitch and lose out because of a hometown discount, or his mom lives in New York.
Still not sold on the shark tank concept even with the spread sheet again it would be great if all this could be explained in greater detail.

Quote:
- You can't have a single free agency because of pitches, and contract structures. Asking teams to create a pitch on every free agent would be tedious. But you can't eliminate pitches either because there are people who enjoy them and it is a great way to get war rooms participating more (I've already discussed this). You're stating that you can still have pitches for certain levels of FAs, but then say that no matter what the players will go to the highest bidder. Then what would be the point in doing pitches at all?


Explain to me why the pitch is such an important part of making a contract?

My understanding is it is designed to sway the acting agent to accept a lesser offer based on scheme, hometown discount, previous team, etc. But how is that being measured? How much does it actually help sway a bid? For example the Giants bid 14 million on an offensive tackle called X. X receives another bid by Miami for 11 million. X grew up in Florida, has family there and a dog named spike that has arthritis. X loves the beach and bikinis. Knowing this information but based on that would 11 million be enough to win over the 14 million being offered by the cold weather bad for his dog and he wonít be seeing bikinis except for about one month of the year. If Miami is awarded the player donít you suppose that there might be some complaining because the Giants did offer 3 million more annually, however if the Giants win the bid, theyíll assume that it was because they offered more money. Does Miami have a lot of room to complain when itís clearly obvious that the Giants simply outbid them by 3 million annually? You get rid of the pitch, and in the long run the complaining would follow along with it, thatís my opinion though.

Quote:
As far as contract details, it would be very tedious to have to calculate multi-year contracts on all free agents. The simplicity of the 1-year contracts in the Shark Tank make the sheer volume of contracts being signed possible.


The spread sheet I created earlier for blind bids, makes calculating the multi-year contracts with easy and void of errors to boot. Itís also received in an easy format for the league office to copy and paste over to not only the master sheet to determine high bidder but it makes updating the team roster pages easy as well.

Also, the talent agency and shark tank to be viewed as a single unit; Iím not picking up whatís being put down. Youíve got two different names, two entirely separate set of rules for each one. One is blind bidding the other is auction, I see two things not one; neither of which are necessary unless the deal breaker is maintaining the separated blind bidding and auction bidding styles.

Look I get that you and dhunt arenít sold and probably wonít be sold on the single free agency concept of mine but if Iím building and putting the man hours into this at least wait until we test it before passing judgment. This model has worked for me in the past without any issues and it is a much smoother workload for both the GM and the staff running it.


- The GM will have to enter the time he entered the bid on the spreadsheet as well as timestamping it on the forum. You'll be able to quickly and easily browse the spreadsheet for all free agents, their current bid, and when their time expires. The saves a world of time.

- I don't understand the need to "slow the auction down" when I'm already saving time by not having to dig through pages and pages of quote trees. The efficient manner of the spreadsheets will allow me to interact on things that matter, like FA strategy rather than having to constantly update my war room what is happening (I can now just link the spreadsheet to the war room).

- In reference to your Edelman example, I've already expressed that my opinion is to raise the number of players in the Talent Agency. This would hopefully significantly reduce the number of players in the Shark Tank that get bid on extravagantly. I would also, as you suggested, eliminate the rule where player get kicked to agents in the Shark Tank. There should be a clear separation between the Talent Agency, which incorporates multi-year contracts and pitches and the Shark Tank.

- Yes, pitches are important because players in real life often sign for reasons other than top dollar. It also gives teams without a ton of cap space a chance to sign players. I believe an example would be Dallas signed Henry Melton this FFMD with a great pitch and not a huge contract offer (something that actually happened in real life). Pitches are also extremely important because they increase participation for the war room. I believe this is where we might have a disconnect because your experience is as the league capologist vs. a GM. I was able to get my war room members involved on pitches because not everyone understands contracts and cap issues. I got guys involved that aren't math wizards and they loved it!

- You talked about the spreadsheets making multi-year contracts easy, and I agree to an extent. It makes it easy for us, because in general the people posting in this thread are amongst the most informed and well versed posters as far as contracts/cap stuff goes. The Shark Tank is simple enough for everyone, 1-year contracts where the number bid is the exact number they will count against the cap (minus the 51 rule).

- I disagree on combining the Talent Agency and Shark Tank not because of the details that run them, but because I have a fundamental difference of opinion with you regarding this manner. Pitches MUST remain. There should be multi-year contracts in TA, but not the ST.

- Your post seems to have a lot of sarcasm in it. I hope you're not getting too frustrated because unfortunately this is going to be a really long process. I think you might have a really different perspective on things being the league capologist vs. a GM. Obviously everyone is very appreciative of all the hard work you've put in with the spreadsheets and other input you've provided. You're the biggest asset this process has in terms of redefining the logistics of the FFMD.

- I know this might dishearten you but your ideas are very good, they just need to be dumbed down. I'm not condemning the people on this forum, its just that anytime youre talking about the volume of people the FFMD has things have to be kept simple.
_________________

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ny92jefferis


Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 2415
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- The GM will have to enter the time he entered the bid on the spreadsheet as well as timestamping it on the forum. You'll be able to quickly and easily browse the spreadsheet for all free agents, their current bid, and when their time expires. The saves a world of time.


Ok, this makes more sense. I must of missed the part where the time stamp is placed in the spread sheet. With that said, why the need to have it in the forum as well?

Quote:
- I don't understand the need to "slow the auction down" when I'm already saving time by not having to dig through pages and pages of quote trees. The efficient manner of the spreadsheets will allow me to interact on things that matter, like FA strategy rather than having to constantly update my war room what is happening (I can now just link the spreadsheet to the war room).


If the timestamp issue is resolved as mentioned above, then yes it would save time but it wouldn't slow it down.

Quote:
- In reference to your Edelman example, I've already expressed that my opinion is to raise the number of players in the Talent Agency. This would hopefully significantly reduce the number of players in the Shark Tank that get bid on extravagantly. I would also, as you suggested, eliminate the rule where player get kicked to agents in the Shark Tank. There should be a clear separation between the Talent Agency, which incorporates multi-year contracts and pitches and the Shark Tank.


Agreed, increasing the talent agency would pull in theory reduce the drawn out bidding, I would also suggest increasing the bumps from 50k or whatever it was currently set to 200k. These small bids just do nothing but drag it out. If Iím game planning, I donít want to sit on a player bidding 50k every couple hours for two days, I want to know quickly if Iíve got the player or not so I can start game planning for other things.

Quote:
- Yes, pitches are important because players in real life often sign for reasons other than top dollar. It also gives teams without a ton of cap space a chance to sign players. I believe an example would be Dallas signed Henry Melton this FFMD with a great pitch and not a huge contract offer (something that actually happened in real life). Pitches are also extremely important because they increase participation for the war room. I believe this is where we might have a disconnect because your experience is as the league capologist vs. a GM. I was able to get my war room members involved on pitches because not everyone understands contracts and cap issues. I got guys involved that aren't math wizards and they loved it!


Dallas isnít the best example, if they had game planned a bit more they could of saved themselves several million in space in fact I think I worked it out to where they would have been in the clear over 10 million. I think even the restructured deal on Ware was flawed, I canít remember for certain. Its late and Iím not feeling like looking it up. The Henry Melton deal with his injury and other the off the field issues surrounding him at that time, Dallas signed him to a extremely cap friendly deal. I havenít read the pitch, if youíve seen it please share.
Iím not saying Iím not a fan of the pitch, Iíve worked the pitches for our war room this last time, writing them was a lot of fun, writing them has never been the issue with me. My deal is that if Iím sending in the pitch, I want to know what is being measured and how much weight is being put on that. The example I shared with the Giants and Miami at what point does the dollar outweigh the pitch? These are things that need to be clarified for me to jump on board with the pitch. I didnít find it fair at all when before our war room even submitted the extension pitch in, after tagging Linval Joseph, that the agents were already denying it. We still sent the pitch in with a solid contract offer knowing full well that regardless what we did it was getting denied. While you donít agree with the statistical based formula for determining a playerís APY, I value it over the opinion of an agency that is already denying the offer before its even been submitted. So if the pitch is going to stay then there needs to be some strict guidelines as to the weight that is being applied to the pitch and this information needs to be available to the public.



Quote:
- You talked about the spreadsheets making multi-year contracts easy, and I agree to and extent. It makes it easy for us, because in general the people posting in this thread are amongst the most informed and well versed posters as far as contracts/cap stuff goes. The Shark Tank is simple enough for everyone, 1-year contracts where the number bid is the exact number they will count against the cap (minus the 51 rule).


Things would definitely be easier for us all if every contract was a one year deal. However, I think we would both agree that realism is removed by doing so. I see a way that with the blind bidding and the spread sheet that lays out the structure of the contract, it does all the calculations, the only thing the GM has to do is type in the length of the contract, the signing bonus, and the base salary for each year of the length of the contract, I donít think it gets much easier. I know not everyone knows how to create a contract, I saw that first hand with the questions I got asking that I look to make sure it was good before sending it in to the agents. All the errors some caught by the agents or GMís others that went unnoticed.

Quote:
- I disagree on combing the Talent Agency and Shark Tank not because of the details that run them, but because I have a fundamental difference of opinion with you regarding this manner. Pitches MUST remain. There should be multi-year contracts in TA, but not the ST.


I appreciate that you are saying itís a matter of opinion and not selling it as fact. I did make the suggestion that with some of the top talent that a pitch could be worked into the system. IMO, I just dislike the idea of having two different styles of a free agency. Each one carries their own set of rules, which means time being spent to figure both processes out. Look through the various threads, youíll see confusion within both agencies.

Quote:
- Your post seems to have a lot of sarcasm in it. I hope you're not getting too frustrated because unfortunately this is going to be a really long process. I think you might have a really different perspective on things being the league capologist vs. a GM. Obviously everyone is very appreciative of all the hard work you've put in with the spreadsheets and other input you've provided. You're the biggest asset this process has in terms of redefining the logistics of the FFMD.


There might have been a bit of sarcasm in there but it wasnít directed toward you. Iím feeling the same sarcasm coming my way. I will say that yes, Iím a bit frustrated as well, youíre looking at an idea with the shark tank spread sheet, which I appreciate that, but I donít think youíve taken the time to fully grasp the other concept of having the single mock and perhaps thatís my fault for not displaying it correctly or for not having the bugs worked out with the formulated APY before submitting it. I know that you guys think Iím new to this stuff because I havenít been on this site for very long, but Iíve been running mocks for some time, years ago that is, but with a very similar blind bidding approach that Iíve suggested here. When I ran the mocks years ago, it was just a single office in the back. I was forced to make excel work for me so that I could manage it all, in a timely manner. Its why when I was given the ok by the mods to take over Scarís position for lack of participation I changed all the formulas within the team rosters to make it simple for me. Otherwise it would have been a full time job keeping up with all the transactions for each team. I think with these changes I had maybe 3 errors with the rosters being off and they were minor errors. When I look at something Iím looking at it from all angles not just one perspective of Capologist or GM but Iím looking at what it takes to work the back end, and how that effects the GM keeping focus on what these changes do to realism, complexity, time management, strategizing and fun. We had several capologist sign up under scar. Myself, wayne and CharisMa with scar running it. Scar expected the need to have himself and 3 other people helping him run the league office. I donít think that way; I look at it as what would it take for one person to run it and if I get lucky and get some people to help out great. There wereÖ.well that information has been deleted recently, not sure why but its gone. I think there was something like 4 Trade council guys or something like that and however many agents. My point is that they planned to have x amount of people expected to maintain the system but there was a significant amount of members that signed up that didnít follow through. Planning on having more agents or cappers or just more staff in general could back fire just as it did with this last mock run where less than a week into it the lead Mod and capologist vanished, followed by short appearances of a few other mods to keep it afloat. My concept ensures that a short staff can run the entire thing if a similar even should unfold.

Quote:
- I know this might dishearten you but your ideas are very good, they just need to be dumbed down. I'm not condemning the people on this forum, its just that anytime youre talking about the volume of people the FFMD has things have to be kept simple.


Thatís why Iím pushing my proposal so hard, it is simple. Sure its difficult in building it prior to the start of the mock but its design makes it simple for the end user as well as the people running it. Iím not sure if its because its something completely different or what exactly but the concept takes the complexity out of it all, yet it retains some form of realism, it forces the GMís to strategize with their war room, the pace of the game isnít so fast that you miss something. For example youíve got the current process with you slowly work the talent agency for about a week, then it shifts gears to warp drive for the shark tank, then you drop it into neutral for the draft. My proposal, puts everything in cruise control.

_________________

Thanks IDOG_det

CLICK HERE TO JOIN MY GM MOCK DRAFT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 14289
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
First @ Mknight, I know dhunt countered your idea about 2 spreadsheets but I just wanted to say that I do think that was a good idea none the less .

I like your award ideas, though I wouldn't be against a "dunce mock" addition lol.


Yeah I didn't mean to shoot it down, it was a good point and a real issue. I just didn't know if you knew that Google Docs allow you to accomplish it with one sheet.


Nah I know that, I was just sayin' I think he did a good job providing a solid idea, but I do agree that your counter makes a lot of sense.
_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ny92jefferis


Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 2415
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these talks dead in the water? Or just the draft slowing it down?
_________________

Thanks IDOG_det

CLICK HERE TO JOIN MY GM MOCK DRAFT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 14289
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
Are these talks dead in the water? Or just the draft slowing it down?


I'm just thinking, like me, we've been busy with the draft and the awesome weather.
_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ny92jefferis


Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 2415
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
This post is to address my idea for a FFMD awards ceremony at the end of the whole process. The only way these awards will be taken seriously is if the FFMD staff takes them seriously and promotes them to the participants as being a big deal. If we can get people interested in earning these awards it could help us solve some of our behavior issues (complaints, overspending in free agency, dumb trades).

Also, I donít want there to be any awards singling out FFMD Staff, like best mod or best writer or anything, because everyone involved puts a lot of effort into making it a success and I donít want to leave anyone out.

The awards themselves should be decorative Sigs created by some of our posters who are much more adept at art than myself.

So here it is:

FFMD Awards

Premise:

The FFMD is a game designed as an interactive offseason experience for the entire Footballísfuture community. The FFMD is supposed to be fun, and a little friendly competition can add to the enjoyment of the process. However, there is an added emphasis on sportsmanship and cutting back on complaining this year that will be heavily weighed in these awards (Everyone SHOULD receive a perfect score on Sportsmanship, if you donít it will HEAVILY hurt your score). So enjoy yourself and compete your best, but remember to prioritize sportsmanship, after all this just a game.

Awards Council:

The Awards Council will consist of the Mod in charge of FFMD, the Mod in charge of Free Agency, the Mod in charge of the draft, a member of the trade council, and a FFMD writer. If one person fulfills more than one of these roles than a second writer will be added in his place. All five members shall be fans of different teams, elsewise a replacement will be found.

Timeframe:

Awards will be announced within 3 days of the end of the FFMD Draft.

Awards and grading parameters:

FFMD Winner Ė The Lombardi Award

- This is the top award a team can receive. The team with the top overall performance in FFMD will be considered the Winner of this yearís FFMD.
Grading parameters:

100 points = perfect score, points listed below are the most that can be awarded for each criteria

1. Free Agency Ė 15 points
2. Draft Ė 15 points
3. Trades Ė 15 points
4. War Room Creativity Ė 15 points
5. Participation Ė 15 points
6. Sportsmanship Ė 25 points

Best Free Agency Ė The Ron Wolf Award

1. Talent acquired Ė 10 points
A 10 point maximum can be earned for acquiring talented players in free agency.

2. Needs fulfilled Ė 10 points
10 point maximum for filling a teamís needs via free agency

3. Value Ė 10 points
10 point maximum for acquiring players at what is considered good value for the price paid.

4. Sportsmanship Ė 20 points
20 points for following the FFMD rules during free agency. These rules include all official rules on bidding and free agency practices as well as general sportsmanship shown to other teams. Also included is support from a teamís war rooms, if a GM goes rogue against his own war roomís wishes it will be deducted here. Finally, excessive complaining will deducted from this score. Play by the rules and all teams will earn a perfect score for Sportsmanship.

Best Draft Ė The Bill Walsh Award

1. Talent acquired Ė 10 points
A 10 point maximum can be earned for acquiring talented players in the draft. Judges will take into consideration where the players are picked as to whether these players were the top talent at the spot taken.

2. Needs fulfilled Ė 10 points
10 point maximum for filling a teamís needs via the draft

3. Other Ė 10 points
10 point maximum for ďotherĒ. This category will take into consideration draft day trades, acquisition of additional picks, or acquisition of higher picks via selling your own.

4. Sportsmanship Ė 20 points
20 points for following the FFMD rules during the draft. These rules include all official rules on posting draft picks and trades as well as general sportsmanship shown to other teams. Also included is support from a teamís war rooms, if a GM goes rogue against his own war roomís wishes it will be deducted here. Finally, excessive complaining will deducted from this score. Play by the rules and all teams will earn a perfect score for Sportsmanship.

Best Trade Ė The Jimmy Johnson Award

All trades throughout the entire FFMD process will be considered. The award will be a judgement call of the council. The council will take into consideration the price paid, the acquisitionís value added to the team, as well as a heavy emphasis on war room support of the trade. Any team that shows poor sportsmanship or excessively complains about a trade will be disqualified from this award.

FFMD MVP Ė The Tony Dungy Award

This award will be given to a non FFMD league staff member (All Team staff members are eligible including GMs), and will be given by the council to a member of the forum who went above and beyond to improve the experience of the FFMD. Obviously anyone displaying any form of poor sportsmanship or excessive complaining will be disqualified from this award.

Most Creative War Room Ė The Al Davis Award

This award will be given to the team with the most creative war room. The council will take into consideration the creativeness of the war room itself, including the OP and accompanying original posts. Also, the creativity of the teamís actions throughout FA and the draft should be taken into consideration. Poor sportsmanship or excessive complaining by a team will disqualify them from this award.

Best Participation in a War Room Ė The Joe Gibbs Award

The council will give this award to the war room with the best overall participation throughout FFMD. Items the council will take into consideration are total page count in the war room threads, number of posters actively participating in the FFMD, and anything additional a member of the war room may provide to the FFMD overall. Also taken in consideration will be the collective collaboration of all posters in a FFMD in trying to work together. Any problems with sportsmanship or excessive complaining by a team will disqualify them from this award.



The awards is a good idea but its built around the concept of "shut up and play". There are some that just like to complain I agree, heck you probably think I'm one of them...haha.

Just don't think this is the answer to get the complaining to stop or minimize it, if anything I think it would just create less participation. If they can't voice their opinion without being reprimanded for it, which is really what we're calling "complaining" then I think you would be losing even more participates with this approach.

We shouldn't be looking for ways to muzzle or mask the issue but finding out why are so many complaining in the first place and look to get it corrected.

I do think there should be awards passed out but not for the teams that complain the least.
_________________

Thanks IDOG_det

CLICK HERE TO JOIN MY GM MOCK DRAFT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 42 of 61

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group