You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Needs: WR>TE

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Needs: WR>TE Reply with quote

I am of the opinion that we need a #2 WR more than a replacement for TE. Joe Horn is on the downside of his career, and Devery Henderson is a great slot WR...but nothing more than that at this point in his career. If we are banking on Devery taking the #2 spot next season...I think that we will be making a very bad mistake. Look at his statistics this season and you will find that his big games came when he was a #3 or #4 WR...and did practically nothing when he was looked to be a #1 or #2. He is the type of guy who doesn't have great hands and doesn't run great routes, but can beat CBs deep as a slot guy. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if the Saints took a WR with their first round pick. There is some incredible talent at WR that should be available when the Saints pick, for this will be a pretty deep WR class this season. I think that spending a 1st or 2nd rounder on a WR is much more merited than selecting a 1st or 2nd round TE. The Saints did fine with Billy Miller starting last season. The Saints run so many 3 and 4 WR sets that a TE isn't a high priority.
Gator_Saint28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the saints also did fine with terrance copper as their 2nd reciever..... but i totally see where you are coming from... i would love to get bowe or rice... either would be nice
draftspot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of your post, except that billy miller is not a solid option at TE, and would not have started if the other 2 guys on the depth chart in front of him were injured. I've been calling for TE Scott Chandler Iowa as a 2nd round pick, b/c he's an overgrown receiver, and like you said this is a very good receiving class, so we can still get a very solid prospect in round 3. Jason Hill, Rhema McKnight, Steve Smith, Ryne Robinson may be available in the 3rd. But I don't see how we can't go defence with the corners and lbs that are projected to be at the bottom of the 1st. Just my .02
GeauxLSUTigers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somewhat agree, except that I believe Henderson could be a number 2 reciever (maybe Im a homer...) soley on his ability to stretch the field; therefore, we need guys who can go over the middle for the tough catch. Now, whether that turns out to be a big time TE (even a Heath Miller or Jason Witten type would be great, in that they are good at both sides of being a TEand are more readily available than the Shockey types) or a WR, we need somebody just for this task (Im not even throwing in the fact that Colston might turn out to be a bit injury prone, though I really friggin hope not).

1958, 2003, and 2007 National Champions!
Raves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree WR is a more important than TE as 1st round should be CB/LB/DT(If a great one falls) followed by the other of CB or LB in the 2nd. though the 3rd we have both Rhema McKnight and Steve Smith available with about 4.4-4.5 speed with great hands as McKnight had the best stats at ND while Smith also performed at a high level.
saints25

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of steve smith and rhema mcknight i would easily pick steve smith he is a great receiver and an excellent route runner
CHITWN_Bear_25

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, This is where Reggie truely shines as our safety valve.

Reggie alone could be a slot reciever on various sets, he might have better hands then anyone not named colston or horn.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHITWN_Bear_25 wrote:
Honestly, This is where Reggie truely shines as our safety valve.

Reggie alone could be a slot reciever on various sets, he might have better hands then anyone not named colston or horn.

I think that he has just as good of hasn't as either. Bush is a freak. If he was an inch or two taller he would be in the running of best WR in the NFL. He has that good of hands.
mrnasties NO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to disagree with miller not starting because he wasn't a descent TE
billy miller didn't start because he isn't a blocking TE. In the beginning of the season our line was suspect and still is bress is just a great quarter back who know when to get rid of the ball. peyton love big blocking TE and billy miller wasn't that
jeffryred

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Defense Reply with quote

I believe that the only linebackers worth taking at #27 are Patrick Willis and Paul Posluszny. There is a good chance either one will be gone. Then I would look to nab Aaron Ross, CB. If we get the above LB in the first I think it is essential to grab a good corner in the second. Either Chris Houston or Daymeoin Hughes would be my first choices but we would have to trade up to get them. Failing that, Eric Wright might be available at #58 when we pick.
Third round is where the Saints nab a wideout, but I think we need one who will complement Colston. I agree that Devery Henderson only projects as a #3 wideout for now. Copper is decent but does not have much speed. I would love to grab Craig Davis from LSU but he may go late second or early third. Aundrae Allison is another possibility but each may require a trading up if the Saints don't trade up in the second. God forbid if Johnny Lee Higgins were available. He may become the next Steve Smith. But, we can only go for these in the second round realistically unless we trade up in the third. And, CB is the higher priority, unless that is satisfied in the first round. What if we grab Lance Briggs or Adelius Thomas in free agency? Then, there is no LB pressure until late rounds.
Another second rounder I think we should look to take if he is undrafted and our pick is close is Justin Harrell DT from Tennessee. He could get his head and body together and be a very good one like Henderson in Jacksonville. If we wait till the third, Kareem Brown DT or in the fourth Clifton Ryan.
I also hope the Saints go for a QB in the fouth or fifth rounds. But all of this is too early. We need to see what free agency brings. (hopefully a starting corner or linebacker) There may be trades as well prior to the draft. We need to hear how well Tommy Polley, Rob Ninkovich, and Roman Harper are recovering from injury. And, whether the Eagles re-sign Donte Stallworth which would give the Saints two third rounders.
So, let us watch and wait. If the Saints got help at LB and CB in free agency, I could see them pursue a Dwayne Bowe, Sidney Rice or Robert Meachum, but until then, sit tight.
Valkyrus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saints fan here from Wisconsin. I say the Saints should sign TE Eric Johnson and draft Robert Meacham WR Tenn, 1st rd. Defense can be adressed in FA. Adalius Thomas anyone?
mattmatt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valkyrus wrote:
Saints fan here from Wisconsin. I say the Saints should sign TE Eric Johnson and draft Robert Meacham WR Tenn, 1st rd. Defense can be adressed in FA. Adalius Thomas anyone?

yes, if D is addressed in FA which I think that CB and LB will be addressed I would be all about getting some more offensive weapons. If the D is addressed then the Saints will be in a position to draft Best Player Available which has worked out nicely for the Saints in the past. (Will Smith, Duece McAllister, Reggie Bush)

I would love to see Robert Meacham or DeWayne Bowe in Black and Gold.

Keato

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: