Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Free Agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsorc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Maybe they don't feel that swearinger fits the new D

I disagree with that assesment. Both Lewis and Clemons are FS who do well in coverage but struggle against the run. If anything, they are complements to Swearinger instead of replacements. My understanding is that Crennel runs primarily cover 3 while Wade was running quite a bit of cover 2. We lacked a true FS and now we brought two of them in. I would not be surprised if Manning is moved to SS to compete with Swearinger with the FS depth chart now having both Clemons and Lewis. Shilo Keo is definitely gone after this 2 signings.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Maybe they don't feel that swearinger fits the new D

I disagree with that assesment. Both Lewis and Clemons are FS who do well in coverage but struggle against the run. If anything, they are complements to Swearinger instead of replacements. My understanding is that Crennel runs primarily cover 3 while Wade was running quite a bit of cover 2. We lacked a true FS and now we brought two of them in. I would not be surprised if Manning is moved to SS to compete with Swearinger with the FS depth chart now having both Clemons and Lewis. Shilo Keo is definitely gone after this 2 signings.

This is exactly how I see it as well. Swearinger at SS, Clemons at FS, Manning as the primary backup as well as a nickel/sub package player, and Lewis as a backup/ST guy. Keo is definitely on the bubble if not gone.

ADOPT-A-TEXAN: CJ "Polish Hat" Fiedorowicz
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all of the D linemen in FA are gone. Not sure what Rick Smith's plan is here.

I think if we aren't able to find a way to trade down that we're counting on landing a quality leftover or two once first and second cuts happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure we only have Watt, Crick, and Powe under contract. We're going to need 2-3 D linemen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
Almost all of the D linemen in FA are gone. Not sure what Rick Smith's plan is here.

I think if we aren't able to find a way to trade down that we're counting on landing a quality leftover or two once first and second cuts happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure we only have Watt, Crick, and Powe under contract. We're going to need 2-3 D linemen.

I think Crick can step up and start at DE for us and do well. I am not sure about Powe

I think the plan has to be to adress the D-Line in the first 3 rounds of the draft....add a starter and then in 4-6 add either a 2nd NT or 3rd DE

Picking Clowney or Mack in round 1 would help us out at 2 positions. give us a starting OLB and allow Reed to move to ILB
Carrer marks:
992 catches 13,381 yards 63 TDs
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:

IMHO we will select 2 DL players in draft (NT and rotational DE). We will also probably look to add some players post June 1.

Also, IIRC Richard Seymour had his most productive years under RAC and is currently a FA. Wink He was looking for $5m to play last October. I am thinking he may have reduced his asking amount since no one bit last season.
1 missed goal line FF (stupid refs Wink )
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Free agent RB Andre Brown is visiting the Texans Monday.
With Ben Tate now in Cleveland, the Texans have a hole behind Arian Foster. The uninspiring Brown is 27 and injury prone, but would still be an upgrade on in-house options Dennis Johnson and Jonathan Grimes. Brown, who has drawn scant interest on the open market, would not be expensive.

I was thinking that he might be an option at the beginning of the off-season. However, his injury history and my belief that the organization wants a younger #2 back convinced me otherwise.
1 missed goal line FF (stupid refs Wink )
treece300e

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not exactly Free Agency, but the 49ers are shopping LaMichael James. Depending on the price they are asking, I'd be very interested to see him with the Texans. I think he's a perfect complement to Arian and Andre, and is a good return man. He could be used similar to how the Patriots have used Woodhead, and has the tools to take the ball the distance. I don't think he was a good fit with the 49ers power running offense, but I believe he could do well here.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341957/article/lamichael-james-reportedly-on-49ers-trade-block
texandominance

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:

I think Crick can step up and start at DE for us and do well. I am not sure about Powe

I think the plan has to be to adress the D-Line in the first 3 rounds of the draft....add a starter and then in 4-6 add either a 2nd NT or 3rd DE

Picking Clowney or Mack in round 1 would help us out at 2 positions. give us a starting OLB and allow Reed to move to ILB

We should stop with this. It is very difficult to make that transition. I can only think on one player who did it successfully. Reed just made the transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB a few years ago and asking him to make an even tougher change is too much to ask.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

We should stop with this. It is very difficult to make that transition. I can only think on one player who did it successfully. Reed just made the transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB a few years ago and asking him to make an even tougher change is too much to ask.

I do somewhat agree. Texans fans seem to think that the way to "fix" ineffective players is to demote them to perceived lesser value positions. Move CBs who can't cover to S, move Tackles who can't pass protect to Guard, move OLBs who can't pass rush to ILB, move DEs who can't pass rush to DT, move slow S's to LB, move small LBs to S, move WRs who can't run to TE, and whatever Casey was good at to FB. This concept ignores that those "lesser" jobs still have specific needs and skillsets and it doesn't always hold true that being better at one aspect of a position makes a player better suited for the totality of the position which is why moving ineffective RBs to FB rarely works as the mental makeup of FBs is just different than former HBs who often were the "stars" of their teams at other levels of football and poor candidates for selfless grunt work in giving up your body to make another look good.

I assume this thought process is due to the "successful" transition of Glover Quin which ignores that in the Texans defense he was ideally cast as a nickel which he still played most downs since we brought in a 3rd safety to take his SS spot. Simple fact is that Glover Quin really didn't have the speed or coverage chops to be a CB when he was drafted and at 6' 0" 210 he had the typical S build, and most teams viewed him as a safety coming out (in case you forgot, the one season he was asked to cover #1's or #2's along with Kareem Jackson, the Texans nearly broke the all-time record for pass yards given up).

The oft repeated Kareem Jackson to FS transition ignores the size requirements of the position and completely ignores his primary weakness which is deep coverage which is BOTH a speed and technique problem. He has poor recognition skills which is the basis of the FS position since they have to often decide BOTH to diagnose run/pass and who to cover and his playing speed has never lived up to his clocked speed. At 5' 10" with a slight frame he would be one of the smallest safeties in the league which would be a liability in run support and I think being the last line of defense would only add to his primary liability in being amongst the league leaders in penalty yards given up. Seriously, trying to fix a guy who has given up nearly 400 yards in penalties the past 3 seasons by asking him to participate in covering the deepest routes on most plays makes about as much sense as asking Matt Schaub to run a spread offense.

As for Reed, the challenge for me is that he is somewhat redundant with Cushing in that he is a high motor player, good tackler, with a high football IQ, but like Cushing lacks the NFL caliber moves to be an effective pass rusher. He's not fast enough to be a situational pass rusher like Barwin was originally, but unlike Cushing he's not effective in getting off blocks to be a huge factor in run defense and he is generally useless in pass coverage which has been a major problem with our #2 ILBs. What you have is the quintessential "tweener" who really doesn't have an ideal role, although I do think he would be a preferred option as Cushing's backup which should have at least been tried last year once things fell apart. Alternatively, if Clowney becomes the primary pass rusher at WLB, an argument could be made that Reed would be a preferable SLB to Mercilus since Whitney does little else than rush the passer, so you bump him back to the situational role. I think it would be much preferable to have a speedy ILB with coverage skills than basically Cushing-lite especially if the leg injuries impact Cushing's ability to cover (Arthur Brown was the ideal candidate last year who as usually was taken one pick before us).

BTW - I am curious who you feel the "one" successful OLB to ILB move in the pro's was as I'm striking a blank aside from Cushing. FYI - I don't really consider position moves from college to pros to count much as "learning a new position" especially 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB since the type of college DEs who are drafted as 3-4 OLBs are essentially being drafted for the same job of rushing the passer which is restricted to athletes with the speed to drop into coverage a few times per game.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

As to the original post, I also don't understand the assumption that Crick is in line for the DE spot which completely ignores that we have changed schemes and already have Watt who will presumably not be asked to merely fill gaps and occupy 2 blockers, but rather will continue to be a primary pass rusher. Crick made his name at Nebraska racking up sacks inside with everyone focused on Suh, but struggled mightily once Suh left as he's not athletic enough to be a pass rusher on his own and is undersized both as a DT and 3-4 DE. Ask yourself why any defense bother to have 2 blockers focus on Crick? My biggest concern is that with Antonio Smith gone, we have lost our best run stopper on the line and with Mercilus' deficient run stopping ability at OLB, the prospect of having them on the same side is a recipe for disaster vs. any run Cushing can't get to.

As far as I'm concerned, a true bulky 3-4 DE is a huge draft priority ideally handled in the 3rd-5th rounds along with NT. I still think letting Antonio walk was a huge mistake especially with subsequent moves to free up cap space this year and will have a major impact on JJ's effectiveness. I am all for moves to trim the fat, reload, certainly anticipated a certain amount of moves to allow the coaching staff to put their stamp on the team, but with both Antonio and Manning we have severely cut into the meat of the defense that already needed to fill glaring holes at CB, NT, and ILB and currently are faced with the prospect of starting inferior talent like Crick at DE, and still looking at borderline roster players like Keo and Pleasant seeing plenty of snaps as #3 safety while downgrading from Manning to Clemons at FS.

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the above two posts, it seems like we are repeating history in bringing in an offensive minded coach who is allowing the defense to be gutted by a glorified accountant in Rick Smith who looks at age and price alone and seemingly has no comprehension of how to build a roster through any method other than creating massive holes and hoping that a draft pick or low end roster fodder can fill it. You CANNOT build a COMPLETE team with draft picks alone as at best you are getting 2-3 starters per draft and there are at least 25-30 critical roles to fill which ain't happening unless you are already set at 15-18 of them, so you can reasonably fill the 8-10 holes before a new 4-5 year rookie contract cycle blows up the financial side like the 2011-12 offseasons that purged most our few defensive draft successes in the 06-09 cycle (Mario, Ryans, Barwin, Quin plus Winston) to keep the nucleus of Schaub, AJ, OD, Arian, Meyers, and Duane Brown together.

It also renders a BPA philosophy ineffective as it appears that again the BPA is going to be a pass rusher which is just keeps us on this treadmill where we are letting guys like Mario, Barwin, Antonio walk and spending 1st and 2nd rounders on Watt, Reed, and Mercilus which just keeps you stuck in neutral (Clowney will just push Reed or Mercilus off the roster in 2015 as we resign Watt). The only time this defense took a leap was when Antonio, Joseph, and Manning were added IN ADDITION to draft picks and even then, the offense was lacking critical components with a #2 and #3 WR, right side of the line, and that's IF you think Schaub could have taken us to the promised land while the offense was firing on all cylinders and the holes at CB, ILB, NT, and S wouldn't have still been exploited by the elite offenses.

As it stands, I am highly doubtful that AJ or Arian will be around or still effective when this team is ready to compete again, so I'm not even certain that trading down a few slots and grabbing Watkins and Ebron to pair with a 2015 franchise QB wouldn't make more sense than another redundant pick like Clowney would be. Hopkins is fine as a #2, but just like he was 2nd fiddle to Watkins at Clemson, he is ideally paired with a deep threat but we are increasingly moving to a phase of AJs career where he needs to be the possession guy which continues to show how Rick Smith keeps chasing his tail.

I know O'Brien hasn't even coached a down yet, but with each passing week this offseason, it becomes clearer to me that keeping a weak GM like Rick around feels like we have just given in to the death spiral of perpetual "rebuilding" like other floundering franchises lacking a true "plan" like Cleveland, Oakland, St. Louis, Jax, Detroit, Tampa, Minny, and Buffalo who not surprisingly join us in the top 10 this year (the Redskins earned a spot right down with us and I think the Jets and Dolphins also deserve a spot as teams perpetually stuck in this rebuilding doom loop). I'm sure things will feel a bit better after the draft, but it is pretty hard to get excited about repeating a plan that seemingly is designed to get us back to 6-10 this year and maybe 8-8 in 2015 meaning we will have squandered the entire career of a hall of famer like AJ. Forgive me if I'm not excited about parading his unfulfilled career around like the Astros did with Bagwell and Biggio (or the Oilers with Earl and Moon). AJ deserves to be our Olajuwon with a few rings to go with the individual accolades.

biggio7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo, I agree with a lot of what you said. It makes sense. I'm worried that if they don't JJ some help, he'll be the AJ of the defense forever. Clowney has all the hype but I'd rather Mack. Yeah, it's crazy thinking of drafting Mack #1 but if LB is a huge need, why not draft the best one? Mack rushed a lot but he also has and can play all over the field. His instincts, personality, work ethic etc, make me want him more than Clowney. I don't see the Texans taking him but I'd prefer it. How do you feel about Mack?

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Mack but I don't think you can justify taking him #1. I think Clowney, Robinson, and Watkins are all better values. With a trade down Mack would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some reports that the Chiefs may be willing to unload Brandon Flowers. He isn't cheap, but clearly he is an ideal fit for Crennel's D as he was arguably the 2nd best corner in the league to Revis during their time together (08-12). He has 3 years left on his $49 million deal and seems to be a bad fit for their new d, so I suspect we could get him for a 3rd day draft pick since they would be primarily motivated to get out from his salary. I refuse to believe that great corners suddenly lose it at 28 years old, so I think this is primarily a scheme fit issue and could be EXACTLY what we need. I think he would essentially be our #2, but would be like Quin (but a massive upgrade) in the old days and switch down to cover the slot with Kareem taking the #2 in nickel (since most teams love going to the slot on 3rd down). He's a perfect hybrid of J. Joe and Kareem as a banger but with excellent man to man cover skills (unlike Kareem). Make it so, Rick!

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4733/brandon-flowers

treece300e

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Some reports that the Chiefs may be willing to unload Brandon Flowers. He isn't cheap, but clearly he is an ideal fit for Crennel's D as he was arguably the 2nd best corner in the league to Revis during their time together (08-12). He has 3 years left on his $49 million deal and seems to be a bad fit for their new d, so I suspect we could get him for a 3rd day draft pick since they would be primarily motivated to get out from his salary. I refuse to believe that great corners suddenly lose it at 28 years old, so I think this is primarily a scheme fit issue and could be EXACTLY what we need. I think he would essentially be our #2, but would be like Quin (but a massive upgrade) in the old days and switch down to cover the slot with Kareem taking the #2 in nickel (since most teams love going to the slot on 3rd down). He's a perfect hybrid of J. Joe and Kareem as a banger but with excellent man to man cover skills (unlike Kareem). Make it so, Rick!

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4733/brandon-flowers

I came in here to post almost word for word what you did, Apollo. With the litany of 3rd day picks, I really think we should try to work something out to bring in Flowers.

Are we able to extend or restructure his contract if we trade for him? I feel like the Raiders were able to do so with Schaub's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: