Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2014 Draft Prospects thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
I keep seeing posters use Marlon Brown as a reference point, so I figured I would ask. If everyone knew last year what we know about Brown now, where do you think he would have been drafted. For simplicity, let's say all other draftees are unknowns.

In hindsight? I would think in the 4th-5th rounds.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
I keep seeing posters use Marlon Brown as a reference point, so I figured I would ask. If everyone knew last year what we know about Brown now, where do you think he would have been drafted. For simplicity, let's say all other draftees are unknowns.

Mid-third round. Although, I wouldn't actually take him over Brandon Williams, because BW will be a stud.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/One-On-One-Ozzie-Reveals-Ravens-Draft-Plans/375ccc8e-b15c-468c-9d9f-901687beb2f2?mobile-id=823074&media-type=V

Pretty good watch. When asked what positions the team needs to address Newsome immediately responded with inside linebacker. Man, I hope that means depth. He also said that a tight end is a possibility even though Pitta re-signed and Daniels was brought in.

Newsome also mentioned that there is a very good chance that they draft a receiver because of the depth of the class and how many draftable players they have rated at that position. He was talking about how he couldn't say if the team would get a true complimentary piece to Torrey but if the opportunity presented itself for them to try and get one with their first four or five picks they would take it.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/

Quote:
The courting of potential UDFA’s is well underway with scouts and coaches around the league contacting the players they hope to get a chance to sign after the draft. The Baltimore Ravens have sent a quick 25-second video which features a message from head coach John Harbaugh to a number of players.

Several sources tell me the number one target for the Baltimore Ravens in round one is tight end Eric Ebron, a player they’ve coveted for quite some time. Could Ebron slide to the 17th pick? I was told earlier this evening the New York Giants maybe souring on Ebron due to many of the personality red flags we’ve reported on this site since November. The other obstacle for the Ravens are the Pittsburgh Steelers, a team we’ve mentioned several times as a suitor for Ebron.

I’m told to expect the Ravens to grab a running back by the time the fourth round closes out. Two names I’ve heard connected with the team for a while are Jeremy Hill of LSU in round two or possibly Terrance West in the fourth frame. Hill has been drawing rave reviews from scouts for his underrated pass catching skills. The Tennessee Titans and Atlanta Falcons are another pair of teams hot after Hill.

This is Tony Pauline's blog (I think). I'm not too familiar with him or his credibility but hey it's something.

It's still hard for me to get behind Ebron as an option in the first round. As a prospect I'm a fan and like him quite a bit but the value for first round tight ends generally isn't great and lately a lot of them have been closer to busts than successes. I hate that line of thinking because the failures of past players shouldn't have any influence on how Ebron (or any first round tight end) will end up but I still can't help but feel there's something to it. Then there's the whole fit on the team with pitta thing. As much as Kubiak likes to run two-tight end sets he hasn't ever really had an offense where both tight ends are featured in the passing game.

Man, if they take Jeremy Hill in the second round I think this will be the last year Ray Rice is a Raven. That would be investing a lot in supposedly one of the lowest valued positions in the NFL. The thought scares me a bit. West in the 4th round is different and I'd like that.
mcdni

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we don't invest in a RB until the comp pick in the 3rd at the earliest. I think there is too much value at other positions in this draft to be taking a RB any earlier. There should be a few decent backs available at the end of each round from the 3rd to the 5th.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdni wrote:
I hope we don't invest in a RB until the comp pick in the 3rd at the earliest. I think there is too much value at other positions in this draft to be taking a RB any earlier. There should be a few decent backs available at the end of each round from the 3rd to the 5th.

Agreed. I've warmed up to the idea of going RB with the comp 3rd and take Terrance West... he's the only back I'd take that early tbqh.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Draft Insider Tony Pauline reports the Ravens "covet" North Carolina TE Eric Ebron, and he's their "No. 1 target
."

Maybe a smokescreen. But I'd be surprised if he is their guy.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/

Quote:
The courting of potential UDFA’s is well underway with scouts and coaches around the league contacting the players they hope to get a chance to sign after the draft. The Baltimore Ravens have sent a quick 25-second video which features a message from head coach John Harbaugh to a number of players.

Several sources tell me the number one target for the Baltimore Ravens in round one is tight end Eric Ebron, a player they’ve coveted for quite some time. Could Ebron slide to the 17th pick? I was told earlier this evening the New York Giants maybe souring on Ebron due to many of the personality red flags we’ve reported on this site since November. The other obstacle for the Ravens are the Pittsburgh Steelers, a team we’ve mentioned several times as a suitor for Ebron.

I’m told to expect the Ravens to grab a running back by the time the fourth round closes out. Two names I’ve heard connected with the team for a while are Jeremy Hill of LSU in round two or possibly Terrance West in the fourth frame. Hill has been drawing rave reviews from scouts for his underrated pass catching skills. The Tennessee Titans and Atlanta Falcons are another pair of teams hot after Hill.

This is Tony Pauline's blog (I think). I'm not too familiar with him or his credibility but hey it's something.

It's still hard for me to get behind Ebron as an option in the first round. As a prospect I'm a fan and like him quite a bit but the value for first round tight ends generally isn't great and lately a lot of them have been closer to busts than successes. I hate that line of thinking because the failures of past players shouldn't have any influence on how Ebron (or any first round tight end) will end up but I still can't help but feel there's something to it. Then there's the whole fit on the team with pitta thing. As much as Kubiak likes to run two-tight end sets he hasn't ever really had an offense where both tight ends are featured in the passing game.

Man, if they take Jeremy Hill in the second round I think this will be the last year Ray Rice is a Raven. That would be investing a lot in supposedly one of the lowest valued positions in the NFL. The thought scares me a bit. West in the 4th round is different and I'd like that.

Usually when I read "inside sources" thoughts into the Ravens... I find that sometimes I can actually see Ozzie thinking in that way" (Well I conceive of him thinking in that manner). Almost like a radar. And thus I attribute that source as being accurate and credible.

This on the other hand doesn't pass my radar test. It just sounds like ideas he's strewn together and pass it off as a "source". Perhaps I could've been with him until he mentioned the taking Jeremy Hill in the 2nd crap. I can't buy that when a) He wasn't one of the names we heard mentioned that interviewed with the Ravens at the combine. b) I haven't heard from any other Ravens sources about any apparent interest in Hill and c) Hill's tape just isn't that good for someone we would "covet with our 2nd round pick". I see a 5th round back (in this stacked class) at best. And I'm not saying the Ravens are going to agree with my evaluation of the guy... but I do know they're not idiots.

A 2nd round back is the new 1st round back (FTMP) and this class is deep enough where you might argue that a 3rd round back is the new late 1st round back (and I'd argue that it is with a guy like Terrance West). So no way could I believe the Ravens would be foolish enough to have Hill ranked high enough on their board to covet him in the 2nd. No way this guy is ranked higher than Terrance West, Andre Williams, etc.

He has to gear down just to make a cut... he's an absolute horrific fit for an offense that calls upon the back recognizing the crease, making one decisive cut, and hitting the hole. He's not agile. He's strictly a power back in a man blocking scheme IMO. He reminds me of LeRon McClain when we used him at RB. That's not a 2nd round back. Put me on suicide watch if we actually draft this guy in the 2nd round over talents like Jordan Matthews, Troy Niklas, Dominique Easley, Stephon Tuitt, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebron? Yea, not buying it.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id love it if we take Ebron. Dudes going to be a matchup nightmare and I think a top 5 TE in a couple years.

Not a fan of Jeremy Hill.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Ebron talk seems to have really taken off, and I have to say, I'm not wild about it. A few months ago, I really liked Ebron and would be delighted if the Ravens picked him.

But since then, I've been swayed to the idea that TE isn't a position you need to address with such a high pick, and Ebron's measurables don't really blow me away. I was less than impressed with his movement at the Combine, and he seems to have a bit too much of an attitude for my tastes.

Also, the Ravens have Pitta and Daniels, and I still hold out hopes for Furstenburg and for Juszczyk as a HB catching passes. Rather than a superstar, I'm happy with a committee of reliable guys at TE.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I watched some more of Brandon Coleman tonight and I cannot stress how bad his quarterback play was. For a guy his size and with how long his legs are he moves really well. I kind of see a better version of Marlon Brown. Like Brown I don't think Coleman attacks the ball in the air like his size should suggest but I'm still a big fan regardless.

To be honest my favorite realistic value wide receiver pick for the Ravens right now is Coleman in the third round at 79 or 99. It rivals the possibility of Jordan Matthews at 48, and I think everyone knows how much I like him as a prospect too.

I meant to respond to this awhile back, but I don't like the Marlon Brown comparison for Brandon Coleman.

Coleman is a far superior athletic specimen. Marlon Brown is simply an intermediate and redzone target. Very much like a Kelly Washington. But Brandon Coleman has the speed to be a deep target and is fluid for a guy that size and thus can be a little more dependable on short routes IMO.

That said, hindsight bias probably has me say that Marlon Brown doesn't give me the same concerns over his mental fortitude. One of my biggest concerns with Brandon Coleman, and why I stopped driving his bandwagon months ago was my so called psych analysis of him. He almost quit the Rutgers football team during his redshirt year because he didn't think he fit in... which tells me that perhaps football isn't a true passion of his... that he just does it because he's good at it. What happens if he struggles as a rookie? Does he have the mental toughness to battle pass that wall and keep moving, developing, and getting better? Will he quit? Or maybe it's that he's too selfless. He has the size, athleticism, and skillset to be able to dominate... even with Gary Nova tossing him the ball.. and even while battling through post-surgery... but did he struggle due to a lack of toughness, did he struggle because he didn't have the confidence to demand the ball more, or was it all just abysmal QB play along with incredible defensive focus that had him struggle?

But I digress. Coleman reminds me more of a poor man's Vincent Jackson/Calvin Johnson. He just has more to his game than Brown. And Coleman's potential is that of a top 5-10 WR in the league... if he was able to utilize his size/athletic gifts to its fullest. I see Brown as mostly being all that he can be. A nice intermediate threat, I'd say his optimal potential might be someone like Eric Decker. Great size, nice hands, but doesn't have the athleticism necessary to completely be considered a top 20 WR.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:

Ozzie Newsome answered your question. He said Marlon Brown and Mellete would be 3-5th round picks in this draft. I'd assume the higher end for Brown, and he possibly might be being generous to boost the ego of players already on our team.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
I meant to respond to this awhile back, but I don't like the Marlon Brown comparison for Brandon Coleman.

Coleman is a far superior athletic specimen. Marlon Brown is simply an intermediate and redzone target. Very much like a Kelly Washington. But Brandon Coleman has the speed to be a deep target and is fluid for a guy that size and thus can be a little more dependable on short routes IMO.

That said, hindsight bias probably has me say that Marlon Brown doesn't give me the same concerns over his mental fortitude. One of my biggest concerns with Brandon Coleman, and why I stopped driving his bandwagon months ago was my so called psych analysis of him. He almost quit the Rutgers football team during his redshirt year because he didn't think he fit in... which tells me that perhaps football isn't a true passion of his... that he just does it because he's good at it. What happens if he struggles as a rookie? Does he have the mental toughness to battle pass that wall and keep moving, developing, and getting better? Will he quit? Or maybe it's that he's too selfless. He has the size, athleticism, and skillset to be able to dominate... even with Gary Nova tossing him the ball.. and even while battling through post-surgery... but did he struggle due to a lack of toughness, did he struggle because he didn't have the confidence to demand the ball more, or was it all just abysmal QB play along with incredible defensive focus that had him struggle?

But I digress. Coleman reminds me more of a poor man's Vincent Jackson/Calvin Johnson. He just has more to his game than Brown. And Coleman's potential is that of a top 5-10 WR in the league... if he was able to utilize his size/athletic gifts to its fullest. I see Brown as mostly being all that he can be. A nice intermediate threat, I'd say his optimal potential might be someone like Eric Decker. Great size, nice hands, but doesn't have the athleticism necessary to completely be considered a top 20 WR.

Oh I definitely think that Coleman has more upside than Brown, but to me what he looked like on tape was somewhat similar to how Brown looked with the Ravens this year. Coleman moves better and is a bigger target but is sort of the same in that neither is/was overly physical or uses their height to their advantage on a consistent basis. I'll add this caveat though - the quarterback play at Rutgers was so bad that I question how limited that made Coleman look as opposed to what he actually doesn't do well. I highly doubt his quarterback could place the ball in a position for him to just go up and get it whenever he wanted. If I were to make a comparison for Coleman based on what I think he could be if his potential is reached it would be a slightly poor man's AJ Green.

As for the mental stuff I try to stay away from that. We have far too limited knowledge on those matters in most cases. Well-documented character concerns and such are different but when you're talking about the psyche I can't get a good feeling about labeling anything as a negative.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Oh I definitely think that Coleman has more upside than Brown, but to me what he looked like on tape was somewhat similar to how Brown looked with the Ravens this year. Coleman moves better and is a bigger target but is sort of the same in that neither is/was overly physical or uses their height to their advantage on a consistent basis. I'll add this caveat though - the quarterback play at Rutgers was so bad that I question how limited that made Coleman look as opposed to what he actually doesn't do well. I highly doubt his quarterback could place the ball in a position for him to just go up and get it whenever he wanted. If I were to make a comparison for Coleman based on what I think he could be if his potential is reached it would be a slightly poor man's AJ Green.

As for the mental stuff I try to stay away from that. We have far too limited knowledge on those matters in most cases. Well-documented character concerns and such are different but when you're talking about the psyche I can't get a good feeling about labeling anything as a negative.

Yeah, Gary Nova is pathetic.. And initially I convinced myself that such was why Coleman probably struggled, but... there has to be something more.

I just find it hard to believe that he has as much athleticism and size as he does and he can't even crack 800 yds receiving. Kenny Britt did it with poor QB play (granted, not as bad) and you look at a guy like Jordan Matthews who produces with below average QB play.

Perhaps I'm overthinking Coleman's psyche... but I don't get the benefit of interviewing coaches, friends, family, enemies... and the prospects themselves. So I watch interviews, I read articles, and I try to form an opinion of who these prospects are. That feeling tells me that Jordan Matthews is incredibly passionate about football. And with Coleman it tells me that his passion for the game might not be as high as one would probably want it to be for a player with his gifts... and that Coleman might end up underachieving because he's unwilling to put in the kind of dedication that say, Torrey Smith does.

Now if the Ravens can alleviate my concerns or downright disprove them, then I definitely would love to take Coleman no questions asked. His potential is through the roof.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: