Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Pre-draft Press Conference
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I don't pay attention to anything written by Tony Lombardi because his stuff mostly leans towards sensationalism but something he said yesterday about the press conference caught my eye:

http://russellstreetreport.com/might-ozzie-be-stepping-down/

Quote:
Ozzie doesn’t interrupt the conclusions of press conferences. He participates because it’s part of his job but he will never be labeled as media savvy or even media friendly. He’s much more comfortable collaborating with his staff, studying film and taking the pulse of league GM’s around the league.

For him to keep everyone’s attention after we all believed the presser to be over is out of character and that combined with what he said above left me wondering if 2014 is Ozzie’s swan song.

Time will tell but the thought was unavoidable.

The article quoted what Newsome actually said. I could see there being some truth to this. When the press conference was over you could tell nobody expecting anything else to be said and it caught everyone by surprise. It was kind of odd.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it. He's only 58. He could probably keep doing it for a long time. It's a pretty huge leap from thanking his staff to him retiring.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it is, it just really stuck out to me when it happened yesterday. Newsome probably could keep doing it for a long time but I believe next season would be his 20th year running Baltimore's front office (not sure how much authority he had in Cleveland) and he might just be ready to retire. If I was betting on it I would definitely say he's not retiring but it's something to keep an eye on.
r_sayle

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye I got that feeling yesterday that it could be his last draft for the Ravens. I know he could continue doing his job for some time but didn't I hear/ read somewhere that he wanted to go back to Alabama and do some work for them before he retired.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I agree it is, it just really stuck out to me when it happened yesterday. Newsome probably could keep doing it for a long time but I believe next season would be his 20th year running Baltimore's front office (not sure how much authority he had in Cleveland) and he might just be ready to retire. If I was betting on it I would definitely say he's not retiring but it's something to keep an eye on.

When I read it (didn't hear it live), it kind of sounds to me almost like he kind of let Eric DeCosta maybe take more charge in this go-round which is why he's reiterating his trust in his staff.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I can't see it. He's only 58. He could probably keep doing it for a long time. It's a pretty huge leap from thanking his staff to him retiring.

There have been rumors floating about him going back to Alabama in some capacity for about ten years now, and he never really said he wouldn't do it at some point, so there's that. He'd probably get a pay raise too.

Even if he didn't do that, it wouldn't surprise me if he woke up one day he just decided he wanted to retire. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would spend his last moments in the office watching film.

At some point, you'd think he'll have to step aside for DeCosta, or he;s eventually going to move on like Savage and some others did.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could definitely see Ozzie stepping down soon. With his health scare last year and everything we always read about, it wouldn't surprise me.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed they got a little defensive when CK's injury/Alabama bust risk was brought up. I think he's going to be a steal for someone, but he lacks the versatility we probably want to pair with KO.

They don't think they have a shot at any of the top 4 tackles, which is sad because I was warming up to Zach Martin.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Byrne-Identity-Bird-Attacks-Ravens-Scout-At-Manziel-Visit/2942d631-cc57-4371-aeb1-5a8d0ac5c756?mobile-id=822686&media-type=N

Quote:
(Newsome and DeCosta did not bite on the opportunity to add three draft choices in 2010. “We took Ed Dickson in the third round and turned around and took another tight end, Dennis Pitta, in the next round. Almost unprecedented to take tight ends in back-to-back rounds,” Eric explained. “Soon after we drafted Dennis, the [an East Coast team] called and said, ‘You nailed us. We wanted Pitta. Our coach loves Pitta. You have to trade him to us.’

“The guy repeated that his head coach had to have Pitta and questioned how we could take Dennis after drafting Dickson and having Todd Heap on our roster. I said, ‘Make an offer.’ They offered two fourth-round picks, and Ozzie said, ‘See if they’ll go one more fourth.’ They said no, but then called back a little later and said: ‘OK, you’ve got the three [choices], let’s make the deal.’ We discussed it and refused. We loved Pitta, too. And, the three guys they drafted in the spots they offered us are no longer in the league.”

One more nugget regarding the possible trade of Pitta: When the team called back and said it would give the three choices, the guys in our draft room were watching John Harbaugh on ESPN. Harbs was doing an interview via satellite from another room in our building and had just said how much we loved Pitta. Ozzie looked up and said chuckling, ‘We ain’t trading him now.’)

That does surprise me a bit. But it does correlate with what DeCosta said during the press conference about liking a specific player more than multiple guys that they could get by trading back for more picks. To be honest I think there's just as good of a chance that the team sticks at 17 as there is of them trading down.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang. How did the Browns get so many draft picks? Sad

They could put a decent team around Manziel.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

FWIW... when I read the articles, it seemed like the team was being a little more "open" with things than in the past, which struck me as odd... then I sort of got the feeling all on my own that this was Ozzie's last ride... and then I read the above story.

So I don't know, this just might be it. We'll see. I kind of get the feeling that Ozzie is the type to just ride off into the sunset.. without making an announcement about him riding off into the sunset. So I think if this IS it, we won't know until he's already beyond the horizon.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Byrne-Identity-Bird-Attacks-Ravens-Scout-At-Manziel-Visit/2942d631-cc57-4371-aeb1-5a8d0ac5c756?mobile-id=822686&media-type=N

Quote:
(Newsome and DeCosta did not bite on the opportunity to add three draft choices in 2010. “We took Ed Dickson in the third round and turned around and took another tight end, Dennis Pitta, in the next round. Almost unprecedented to take tight ends in back-to-back rounds,” Eric explained. “Soon after we drafted Dennis, the [an East Coast team] called and said, ‘You nailed us. We wanted Pitta. Our coach loves Pitta. You have to trade him to us.’

“The guy repeated that his head coach had to have Pitta and questioned how we could take Dennis after drafting Dickson and having Todd Heap on our roster. I said, ‘Make an offer.’ They offered two fourth-round picks, and Ozzie said, ‘See if they’ll go one more fourth.’ They said no, but then called back a little later and said: ‘OK, you’ve got the three [choices], let’s make the deal.’ We discussed it and refused. We loved Pitta, too. And, the three guys they drafted in the spots they offered us are no longer in the league.”

One more nugget regarding the possible trade of Pitta: When the team called back and said it would give the three choices, the guys in our draft room were watching John Harbaugh on ESPN. Harbs was doing an interview via satellite from another room in our building and had just said how much we loved Pitta. Ozzie looked up and said chuckling, ‘We ain’t trading him now.’)

That does surprise me a bit. But it does correlate with what DeCosta said during the press conference about liking a specific player more than multiple guys that they could get by trading back for more picks. To be honest I think there's just as good of a chance that the team sticks at 17 as there is of them trading down.

As soon as I read "East Coast team", I was pretty sure it was Philly. Turns out they filled the very specific criteria of having 3 fourth round picks after Pitta was taken. They didn't really do much to conceal the team.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Dang. How did the Browns get so many draft picks? Sad

They could put a decent team around Manziel.

I thought their plethora of picks in 2011 was going to help them make a turn around quickly. Then they picked Richardson and Weeden.

Browns gonna Brown. Honestly, I hope they take Manziel because I think he's going to be a backup in 5 years.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Kind of disappointed that when they said they wanted to upgrade the QB position, they weren't talking about the starting QB. Laughing

Between this and some of your commentary over in the Earl Thomas thread, I am starting to trend back into believing you're in character or something...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: