Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best Seahawks Draft Class Ever

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which year is the best Seahawks Draft Class?
2012 - Wilson & co.
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
2010 - ET finds a home
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
2001 - Hutch and Porkchop
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1990 - Kennedy in the Hall
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other - Please Post
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Best Seahawks Draft Class Ever Reply with quote

The draft is still over a week away and I've read too many mock drafts so I thought I'd start something a little different.

What is the best Seahawks draft class ever?

I posted a few that I thought were among the Top5 but please feel free to suggest some others.

Chronological order: (Did not list full draft, just notable picks)

2012 - (1) Bruce Irvin, (2) Bobby Wagner, (3) Russell Wilson, (6) Jeremy Lane, (7) JR Sweezy
- Obviously Wilson is the highlight and leading the Hawks to their first SuperBowl victory means he carries this draft class but they also added solid pieces. If Irvin ends up being a bigger contributor I think this could be the leader in the club house.

2010 - (1) Russell Okung, (1) Earl Thomas, (2) Golden Tate, (4) Walter Thurmond, (5) Kam Chancellor, (6) Anthony McCoy
- An extremely strong class with starters and pro bowlers. Earl Thomas was just voted our best player on a poll we did on FF and guys like Tate, Thurmond, Chancellor and Okung have been very productive.

2001 - (1) Steve Hutchinson, (2) Ken Lucas, (3) Heath Evans, (4) Floyd Womack, (5) Alex Bannister
- This list has two of my favourite all-time Seahawks on it so I included them even though the overall class was pretty lackluster (Koren Robinson was our other Rd1 pick).

1990 - (1) Cortez Kennedy, (2) Terry Wooden, (2) Robert Blackmon, (4) Chris Warren
- A Hall-of-Fame player in Kennedy. Blackmon and Warren each made it to at least one Pro Bowl. Warren was also twice named to the NFL All-Pro team. A short list but an impressive one.

Honorable Mention
1997 - Shawn Springs & Walter Jones in Round 1. We had two 1st round picks that year thanks to robbing the Bears of a 1st Rounder in exchange for Rick Mirer and traded up to get Springs and Jones.

Discuss!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty tough. Wilson will probably go down as one of the best hawks of all time. My guess is he win multiple Super bowls. But as of right now, I don't know why you don't have the 97 draft as a choice. Big Walt is the best OT in NFL history. But the 2012 draft landed us a top 5 QB in round 3 and a top 5 MLB in the 2nd. So that's my vote.

The hawks are the best team in drafting value in later rounds over the last 4 years. Hands down. I really hope this continues this year because this is such a deep draft. Maybe the 2014 draft will net us nothing but studs.
imani

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2010, without a doubt.

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
chpjns15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it probably doesn't contend with the others up here, 2011 was really solid as well.

Best corner in the game in round 5 (Sherman), Solid linebacker in round 4 (Wright), and a Super Bowl MVP in round 7 (Malcolm Smith). Now thats value.

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chpjns15 wrote:
While it probably doesn't contend with the others up here, 2011 was really solid as well.

Best corner in the game in round 5 (Sherman), Solid linebacker in round 4 (Wright), and a Super Bowl MVP in round 7 (Malcolm Smith). Now thats value.

I thought about 2011 as a contender but I thought the whiffs on Carpenter, Moffitt and Durham left a bad taste in my mouth. Malcolm Smith may have been the SuperBowl MVP but A) He's not who I would have voted for and it's not close and B) He's not much more than a back-up at this point in his career although he's filled in admirably.

Bigjoe0075 wrote:
This is pretty tough. Wilson will probably go down as one of the best hawks of all time. My guess is he win multiple Super bowls. But as of right now, I don't know why you don't have the 97 draft as a choice. Big Walt is the best OT in NFL history. But the 2012 draft landed us a top 5 QB in round 3 and a top 5 MLB in the 2nd. So that's my vote.

The hawks are the best team in drafting value in later rounds over the last 4 years. Hands down. I really hope this continues this year because this is such a deep draft. Maybe the 2014 draft will net us nothing but studs.

I had '97 as an honorable mention for obvious reasons. I think it was the best draft in the sense that getting a 1st for Rick Mirer was the best trade this team has ever made. I just don't think two players qualifies as a "class". It was the best first round ever - much better than Okung & Thomas. I just wasn't ready to make it the best class since none of the other players really had an impact (Carlos Jones, Itula Mili & Eric Stokes).
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
Dools=hawks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
2010, without a doubt.

Lets hope 2014, but i agree 2010 ended up with a lot of your core. 2010-2012 were essential 2013 appears to be a down year but lets hope we can make those player great aswell

WINTER IS COMING
Dools=hawks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have a couple guys that could be really good for us from 2013

Big year:
Christine Michael
Tharold Simons

Potential:
Jordan Hill/ Jesse Williams

Solid:
Michael Bowie
Luke Wilson

It was pretty incomplete last year

WINTER IS COMING
hawkman98272

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said 2012, but I could go either or with 2010. Finally got a QB that could do what we needed with our defensive pieces, Bobby was the last major piece we needed for our defense, and Irvin has been inconsistent, but shows flashes of being worth that 15th overall pick.

IDOG_det

#JDI
Tooki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even call Bruce inconsistent (at least last year), he was pretty productive when he did rush the passer.

My pick is 2010. Earl and Kam are among the best at their positions, Russell Okung is a legit LT and depth guys like Golden Tate and Walter Thurmond just had great years.
SoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dools=hawks wrote:
I think we have a couple guys that could be really good for us from 2013

Big year:
Christine Michael
Tharold Simons

Potential:
Jordan Hill/ Jesse Williams

Solid:
Michael Bowie
Luke Wilson

It was pretty incomplete last year

It will never be mentioned in our all-time greats however. I agree though that Michael has big potential and I'm actually pretty anxious for when he is called up to the starters role. I think Simon could be good but I wouldn't expect a ton. Ideally he will have proved himself worthy enough of taking over the #2 role down the road when we might not be able to resign Byron Maxwell. Jordan Hill, IMO, can be a great replacement for Clinton McDonald in that pass-rushing UT role. Personally don't think Williams, Bowie, or Willson are long-term impact players for us, but we'll see. A guy you didn't even mention who I think is going to be better than most of the guys we've mentioned is Alvin Bailey.

Anyways, I agree with imani that this is pretty easily 2010. They hit a home run on more picks than not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: