Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KG's Off-Season #4: Final Attempt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: KG's Off-Season #4: Final Attempt Reply with quote

*My final mock off-season. Below are the links to the previous three I've done…

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=536249

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541308

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=545295

2014 NFL Draft:

*TRADE: STL sends #2 to JAX for #3 and #105

1] WR Sammy Watkins (6’1 / 211) - Clemson

- In this scenario, I have HOU trading out of the #1 spot, or taking Clowney, or trading him in a pre-arranged deal. Either way, he’s not available at our pick. Knowing this we’re able to convince JAX we might just stand pat and take Khalil Mack (who they're looking to secure for Bradley’s defense). They offer a 3rd to swap picks and we move back a spot. We pull the trigger on Sammy Watkins to give us that #1 type, all around WR we lack...

*TRADE: STL sends #13, #75 and 2015 4th to MIN for #8

1] Jake Matthews (6’6 / 309) - Texas A&M

- We see an opportunity to move-up for a reasonable price. Minnesota doesn’t seem to be targeting a QB at #8 and have been linked to moving up/down in the draft.We’re able to land yet another premiere prospect that not only help the O-line right away, but set us up for the future at LT...

2] CB Phillip Gaines (6’0 / 193) - Rice

- We’ve shown a lot of interest in him, like most teams. His stock has settled now and he looks to be a mid-late 2nd round guy. He has everything you want in a coverage CB...

4] FS Walt Aikens (6’1 / 205) - Liberty

- This class isn’t heavy with FS talent. It does posses some really intriguing and talented CBs that could be converted easily. Aikens is one of those guy. He has the size and physicality to play the spot and has experience at the position...

4] QB AJ McCarron (6’3 / 220) - Alabama

- Sounds more and more likely we’ll be taking a QB somewhere in the early to mid rounds (2-5 range). We’ve met with McCarron and shown interest. He’s a guy that could be a very reliable back-up long-term...

*TRADE: STL sends #153, #226 and #241 to NE for #140

4] OG Brandon Thomas (6’3 / 316) - Clemson

- We decide to jump up and grab a guy that we have expressed a ton of interest in. The injury causes him to slide down the board some, but not far enough to make it to our next pick. He should be ready to go in 2015 and compete for a starting job...

6] DT DeAndre Coleman (6’5 / 315) - California

- A big-bodies and long DT prospect. He’s exactly the type of DT Wauffle loves. He’ll provide depth and another big-body inside against the run to spell Brockers...

6] FB Trey Millard (6’2 / 249) - Oklahoma

- An immensely athletic and talented FB who slides down the board because of the injury. He could be a nightmare match-up at the next level...

7] CB Travis Carrie (6’0 / 206) - Ohio

- Snead loves to double-dip at positions. Can never have enough good coverage CBs with size…

7] DT Chris Whaley (6’3 / 288) - Texas

- This guy is a Henry Melton clone (Melton was a UT we were looking at in FA). He’s still working his way back from an injury, but he’s got talent…

2014 Depth Chart:

QB: Sam Bradford / Shaun Hill / AJ McCarron
RB: Zac Stacy / Benny Cunningham / Isaiah Pead / Daryl Richardson
FB: Trey Millard
TE: Jared Cook / Lance Kendricks / Corey Harkey
Z-WR: Sammy Watkins / Stedman Bailey
X-WR: Chris Givens / Brian Quick / Kenny Britt
SLOT: Tavon Austin
LT: Jake Long
LG: Jake Matthews / Brandon Thomas
C: Scott Wells / Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold / Brandon Washington
RT: Joe Barksdale

DE: Robert Quinn / Eugene Sims
DT: Michael Brockers / DeAndre Coleman
DT: Kendall Langford / Alex Carrington / Chris Whaley
DE: Chris Long / William Hayes
OLB: Alec Ogletree / Daren Bates
MLB: James Laurinaitis
OLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar / Ray-Ray Armstrong
CB: Janoris Jenkins / Brandon McGee
CB: Trumaine Johnson / Phillip Gaines
SLOT: Rodney McLeod / Greg Reid
FS: Walt Aikens / Cody Davis
SS: TJ McDonald / Matt Daniels

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker

TommyC376 on the sig...
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very happy with this result. Only thing I might change is a running back instead if one of the DT taken. I don't know much about the FS taken but that, in my mind is the one position we need to address with a rookie starter for sure.

Sig courtesy of SJax39

Adopt a Ram
Sam Bradford
159-262 1687 yards 14 TD 4 INT
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very happy with this result, although there are a couple things id do differently. Nice job man, everything makes sense.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVRamsFan wrote:
I would be very happy with this result. Only thing I might change is a running back instead if one of the DT taken. I don't know much about the FS taken but that, in my mind is the one position we need to address with a rookie starter for sure.

I think we're pretty happy with what we have on the roster already at the RB position...

Agreed on the FS, they've got to get someone. I think Aikens would be excellent value in the 4th and despite coming from a small school he could transition quickly...

TommyC376 on the sig...
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
I would be very happy with this result, although there are a couple things id do differently. Nice job man, everything makes sense.

Thank you. BTW, I gotta say (as someone who knows the effort behind finding the pics for mocks, like you do in yours as well) I appreciate mocks with pics and clean lay-outs. Just makes it more inviting and fun...

Wink

TommyC376 on the sig...
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a lot man. Love trading up! Rams have the Ammunition to trade up and get two elite players in this draft. I know a lot of people want to just stock pile picks for the future, but when you have the opportunity to take two players of that caliber, you go for it. Getting Matthews and Watkins would be a major win for us. Haven't seen Walt Aikens play, but the selection makes sense. Love the McCarron pick.

Also, I think we have another 7th rounder. not sure.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:
I like it a lot man. Love trading up! Rams have the Ammunition to trade up and get two elite players in this draft. I know a lot of people want to just stock pile picks for the future, but when you have the opportunity to take two players of that caliber, you go for it. Getting Matthews and Watkins would be a major win for us. Haven't seen Walt Aikens play, but the selection makes sense. Love the McCarron pick.

Thanks for the comment. This the draft to move up, especially when you have a chance to land two prospects that are difference makers and would be top five picks in almost any recent draft...

holt_bruce81 wrote:
Also, I think we have another 7th rounder. not sure.

I showed that we originally had (4) 7th round picks. I traded away the two non-compensatory ones in the move-up for Brandon Thomas. Should leave us with just those two...

TommyC376 on the sig...
FRO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really really like it. The first round really does a ton for our offense. Gaines is a great second round pick. Great size and athleticism coupled with a productive college career. Taking Thomas to redshirt is a great move. If we get this draft I'm a very happy man.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRO wrote:
I really really like it. The first round really does a ton for our offense. Gaines is a great second round pick.

If we came out of this draft with these two, it would only make the RG3 trade that much sweeter...

TommyC376 on the sig...
FRO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
FRO wrote:
I really really like it. The first round really does a ton for our offense. Gaines is a great second round pick.

If we came out of this draft with these two, it would only make the RG3 trade that much sweeter...

Watkins fills a huge need. We haven't had a WR get over 800 yards since 2007 when Holt did it. Bradford has had a WR get over 700 yards. A trio of Watkins, Austin, and Bailey would be dynamic. All three can play all the WR spots. Then Matthews would have been the first pick last year. The kid has loads of talent. He will be a great pro.

What I love about your first round is it gives Bradford a chance. The kid has a ton of physical talent, he has just been surrounded by slugs. With that trio of young WRs, Cook and Kendricks at TE, Stacy and Cunningham at RB, and an offensive line with Long, Matthews, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale. Bradford will have the opportunity to be the QB he is capable of.

The defense has some good young talent, I want Clowney and hope he is there at 2, but with Gregg Williams on board our defense has already improved. Gaines is a very good CB prospect.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the outcome (Watkins/Matthews), but I'd take Matthews at #3 and then either trade up for Watkins or Evans. I'd prefer Evans for the record.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
I love the outcome (Watkins/Matthews), but I'd take Matthews at #3 and then either trade up for Watkins or Evans. I'd prefer Evans for the record.

For the record, I prefer Evans as well for the Rams, but they're both very good talents and would each help our QB and WR core immensely...

Reason I have us trading up for an OT instead of a WR is simply because of quantity at the top. We could definitely do it your suggested way as well and I'd be plenty happy...

TommyC376 on the sig...
iRaMs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally love every pick in this draft. Fills needs and adds a lot of depth to positions where we are lacking.

The only one I'm not really familiar with is the Safety form Liberty. I haven't seen anything on him. Gaines has really jumped up my boards lately. Just seems like the perfect CB for us.

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to come back to comment once more and say how awesome it would be to come out of the draft with this result. There is definitely a chance Matthews will fall, probably not past buffalo at 9, but it is possible and regardless I think a move up to get him would be worth it.

Is it draft day yet??
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Had to come back to comment once more and say how awesome it would be to come out of the draft with this result. There is definitely a chance Matthews will fall, probably not past buffalo at 9, but it is possible and regardless I think a move up to get him would be worth it.

Is it draft day yet??

I'm hoping we'd seriously take a look at moving up to get Matthews if we end up not taking an OL witht he 1st picks...

Potentially coming away with 2 of the blue chip prospects would be the makings of a great draft on it's own...

TommyC376 on the sig...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: