Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DB424's Final 2014 Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which falling talent are you wishing for the most?
Cyrus Kouandjio
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stephon Tuitt
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Jordan Matthews
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: DB424's Final 2014 Mock Draft Reply with quote

TL;WR? Here's a mock draft synopsis for this mock:
1. Trade down...
2. Cyrus Kouandjio, RT
3. Stephon Tuitt, DL
4. Trade up...
5. Jordan Matthews, WR
6. Terrence Brooks, FS
7. Pierre Desir, CB
8. Jerrick Mckinnon, RB
9. Khairi Fortt, ILB
10. Logan Thomas, QB

DB424's Final 2014 Baltimore Ravens Mock Draft
Quote:
TRADE!!!
(Props to aewell on the trade idea- though adjusted)

SF receives:
1st- 17th = 950 pts = Darqueze Dennard

BAL receives:
1st- 30th = 620 pts
2nd- 61st = 292 pts
Value = 912 pts

Baltimore would like to move down in the draft. Heck most teams want to move down. However we also aren't in a position where we can really move down just a few picks because... well, most teams directly behind us will be content to wait for a talent to fall to them. The 49ers are in need of a talented corner. With Darqueze Dennard still on the board, they move up to take arguably the most talented corner in the draft.

1st Round- 30th Pick
Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
6'7" 322 lbs, 35 5/8" arms, 10 1/4" hands
40 dash- 5.59s; Bench- 21 reps; Vertical Jump- 31" (ProDay); Broad Jump 8'10" (PD); 3 Cone- 7.71s; Short Shuttle- 4.84s

In 2013 the Ravens fielded one of the worst OLs in not just franchise history, but in NFL history. They were pathetic at run blocking and below average in pass protection. Improving the line was a strong point of emphasis heading into this offseason. The front office traded for OL, Jeremy Zuttah, to start at center in our ZBS. Kelechi Osemele has had back surgery to get himself back to his 2012 level of play. The front office resigned LT, Eugene Monroe whom they traded for midseason. And they still have Marshall Yanda as a probowl caliber option.

The only position left needing to be addressed along the OL is LG/RT- as Kelechi Osemele can play either slot. So enter Cyrus Kouandjio. Prior to the NFL combine where he sported an arthritic knee and poor athleticism in shorts... CK71 was considered a top 15-20 pick. Since then his stock has fallen and now there's a chance he could fall to the 2nd round.

Long, tall, with quick feet and a strong punch... Kouandjio is one of the best pass protectors in this draft. While he has quick feet for his size, he is uncoordinated and tends to allow defenders to get into his frame too often. He has the skillset to dominate in pass protection, but doesn't consistently have execution. Kouandjio, is very stout at the POA in the run game and can move a pile. He should at the very least insert a rush of adrenaline to our depressed 2013 run game. As a RT he shouldn't see as many speed/balance rushers, that have given him fits in the past. It should help that he's only 21 years old and will get a chance to battle Elvis Dumervil, the kind of pass rusher that has given him fits, in practice. CK71 can play LT for us in a pinch as well, in the event that Monroe is unable to play and thus offers us that versatility going forward.

2nd Round- 48th Pick
Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame
6'5" 304 lbs, 34 3/4" arms, 10" hands
40 dash- 5.01s (pre-surgery scout workout); Bench- 31 reps; Vertical Jump- n/a; Broad Jump n/a; 3 Cone- n/a; Short Shuttle- n/a

Stephon Tuitt is long, strong, and athletic. He has played base end, DT, as well as both 1 and 2 gap 5-techniques for Notre Dame's defense. That's versatility. Coming off his disruptive 2012 campaign Tuitt was considered a 1st round talent and has since fallen to 2nd round consideration largely due to durability concerns and the effects of his 2012 surgery on his 2013 campaign.

When healthy, Tuitt is the total package at 5-tech. Able to be stout against the run while presenting good speed to impact passing lanes and rush the passer. Tuitt has the size, athleticism, and production you look for. He should compete with Canty and Williams for an immediate starting spot and at least see plenty of time in a rotation. Tuitt successfully provides us with an extra DL body in the event of a Ngata and/or Canty injury... as well as offers a talented young player to groom for the eventual decline/parting ways/retirement of Haloti Ngata and Canty.

As a bonus, Tuitt offers the kind of inspiring story that will likely make for a Red Star label come draft day. And that label definitely seems to make the team more likely to target a player.

Quote:
TRADE!!!
IND receives:
2nd- 61 (292 pts)
6th- 194 (13.8 pts)
Value = 305.8 pts

BAL receives:
2nd- 59 (310 pts)

2nd Round- 59th Pick
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
6'3" 212 lbs, 33 1/4" arms, 10 3/8" hands
40 dash- 4.46s; Bench- 21 reps; Vertical Jump- 35.5"; Broad Jump- 10'0"; 3 Cone- 6.95s; Short Shuttle- 4.18s; Long Shuttle- 11.84s

Jordan Matthews is a well known option around these parts. Personally I think he presents 1st round talent. But whether its DraftCountDown or CBSsports Draft Rankings, Matthews stock appears to be in that late 2nd round range. If this remains true to life come draft day, the Ravens... with an additional 2nd round pick could become very interested suitors. Even trading ahead of the Carolina Panthers to make sure they land him. Sure we have Steve Smith on the team and have Marlon Brown as well. Matthews offers a combination of size, route running, athleticism, and maturity that would certainly see him as a player that can immediately produce as a rookie in a niche role that expands as he continues to prove himself. Matthews very much practices and "plays like a Ravens". Thus he makes a lot of sense as our selection. He has been compared to Jordy Nelson, AJ Green (poor man's version), Miles Austin, and Terrance Williams (Baylor)... if we can get either of those type of talents on the Ravens, Matthews would be well worth his selection. I see a player with a high floor and a mid level ceiling to be a top 10-15 WR option.

3rd Round- 79th Pick
Terrence Brooks, FS, FSU
5'11" 198 lbs, 31" arms, 9" hands
40 dash- 4.42s; Bench- 11 reps (PD); Vertical Jump- 38"; Broad Jump 10'2" (PD); 3 Cone- 7.01s (PD); Short Shuttle- 4.56s (PD); Long Shuttle- n/a

Terrance Brooks fits quite well alongside Matt Elam. Brooks is exactly the kind of athletic safety that Ozzie envisioned as a need early this offseason. In fact, Brooks might just be the most athletic safety option in this draft. Brooks has been utilized by the Seminoles as a versatile defensive back that has seen time up in the box to challenge the run as well as providing single deep responsibilities. While Brooks isn't as experienced/technically refined as a Jimmie Ward or HaSean Clinton-Dix, he does offer great athleticism and upside at the next level.

3rd Round- 99th Pick
Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
6'1" 198 lbs, 33" arms, 9 5/8" hands
40 dash- 4.59s; Bench- 11 reps; Vertical Jump- 38" (PD); Broad Jump 11'1"; 3 Cone- 6.86s; Short Shuttle- 4.30s; Long Shuttle- 11.60s

Did anyone else see that a small school D2 prospect was excelling at the senior bowl and immediately think to themselves, "I bet he's on the Ravens radar"? The Ravens have made it a habit of looking to find talent in small spaces in the past. Drafting Adalius Thomas out of Southern Mississippi, Edgerton Hartwell from Western Illinois, Lardarius Webb in the 3rd round out of Nicholls State, Brandon Williams last year from Missouri Southern. Desir offers an athletic and competitive cover option that is mature for his age. He proved at the senior bowl that he could hang with the big boys and excel. He has the tools the Ravens could use for a boundary corner option and the ability to present playmaking hands to the equation. The Ravens have some depth options at corner but could use another talented option for the nickel corner competition as well as stronger depth behind Webb and Smith, who have both proven to be injury prone in the past.

4th Round- 134th Pick
Jerrick McKinnon, RB, GSU
5'9" 209 lbs, 30 1/4" arms, 8 5/8" hands
40 dash- 4.41s; Bench- 32 reps; Vertical Jump- 40.5"; Broad Jump 11'0"; 3 Cone- 6.83s; Short Shuttle- 4.12s; Long Shuttle- n/a

The Ravens could see some time this season without Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce has always been incredibly frail. So the Ravens will likely be interested in finding a talented RB option. I'm sure the Ravens will certainly be looking to target Towson RB, Terrance West... and if available at this juncture, I see him being the pick. However that maybe a little idealistic to hope for. But no matter Jerrick McKinnon offers sleeper level capability. He displays incredible athleticism on tape and proved to be one of the most athletic participants at the NFL combine. He combines exception speed, quickness, and power into one package. He looks like an ideal back to operate in Kubiak's ZBS. For quite some time the Ravens have truly lacked that type of RB that can be a homerun hitter, since young Jamal Lewis, in fact. But McKinnon could be that guy. I think he compares to Jamal Charles the prospect. Fast, strong, runs between the tackles... is decisive and has the explosiveness and a 2nd gear that makes him very difficult to contain. Give him a crease and it could be off to the races. He might not be a workhorse back, but with Rice and Pierce on the team for at the very least the next year plus... McKinnon will be in a RB stable to keep him fresh.

4th Round- 138th Pick
Khairi Fortt, ILB/OLB, Cal
6'2" 248 lbs, 33 5/8" arms, 10 1/8" hands
40 dash- 4.70s; Bench- 30 reps; Vertical Jump- 36"; Broad Jump 10'0"; 3 Cone- 6.86s; Short Shuttle- 4.30s; Long Shuttle- 11.60s

Fortt projects to be an ILB in our 34 defense. Athletic, strong, quick, and with some nice instincts, he should immediately come in and compete with Arthur Brown and Josh Bynes for a starting spot. Even though it's unlikely he would beat out Brown, Fortt would offer an athletic LBer option that we would groom to be the eventual replacement for Daryl Smith. In the meantime, his athleticism and strength would definitely help to benefit our special teams units.

5th Round- 175th Pick
Logan Thomas, QB, VT
6'6" 248 lbs, 34 1/4" arms, 10 7/8" hands
40 dash- 4.61s; Bench- n/a; Vertical Jump- 35.5"; Broad Jump 9'10"; 3 Cone- 7.05s; Short Shuttle- 4.18s; Long Shuttle- n/a

Last, but not least, the Ravens see the physical tools of Logan Thomas along with his size and sturdiness and they have to see a QB option that if developed correctly could perhaps be a) flipped for a much greater pick or b) offer them a gifted backup QB option. Thomas, while very raw, offers sort of a mean average of what it would be like to combine Joe Flacco and Tyrod Taylor. Thomas has the type of arm that should allow him to make all the throws that Taylor struggles with. So while Thomas is inconsistent and raw, if Flacco goes down... and there is no veteran backup that can be a game manager option, Thomas could offer us our best chance at competing. He's inconsistent, but in that inconsistency comes highs that have him look like a top QB prospect. If Flacco goes down we're probably SOL anyway, so we might as well roll with the possibility of a guy who can string together a prolific performance just based on talent and getting into a groove. Thomas has that ability. We'd be rolling the dice on him, but that's better than having a backup who has limited passing ability or a game manager with a noodle arm that limits our offense.

As always feedback is and would be much appreciated and I hope you've enjoyed this mock draft.

Last edited by diamondbull424 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions, and both revolve around the trade up in round 2 on which I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

1: Who is left after Jordan Matthews on the WR board if we don't make that trade with Indy?

I know you love Matthews (and I voted for him in the poll), but would it be wiser to just squat on the pick and get a Davante Adams, Donte Moncrief, or the potentially freefalling Marquise Lee? I think if we did the latter, we could add an additional TE prospect in either round 5 or 6 (Logan Thomas should still be available with our 6th rounder if we hold on to it). Carolina may prefer one of the aforementioned alternatives to Matthews, so we might not even need to trade up to get him, but any of them would be comparable talents as well.

2: Is Terrence Brooks the best FS prospect for the team in your mind, and do you think it's dangerous to wait until the middle of the 3rd round to get our FS?

If you believe Brooks to be the best fit, then I have no real commentary on the player selection. But if Jimmie Ward or Deone Bucannon are more highly rated, wouldn't they be better selections in round 2, and then we can address WR at a later pick? The WR class is extremely deep, and I'm sure a good talent would fall into round 3 or even later. I'm not so sure that the same thing can be said of the S class, and I fear that there could be a run in the 2nd-early 3rd rounds that leaves us empty handed if we wait until pick 79 to grab one.

Overall, I do like the quality and depth added to the team. I really like Tuitt and Desir picks, and if we could pull off this draft, it would be a phenomenal coup and arguably Ozzie's best work.

That said, my only real criticism is that I am a little iffy on the McKinnon selection because, despite his speed and athleticism, he's a convert to the position and hasn't really demonstrated that he can do a lot of the things that RBs are asked to do in the NFL (blocking, screens, etc.). I might be more inclined to take a less athletically gifted RB with more of a concept of those things like Lorenzo Taliaferro or Marion Grice, who are both also pretty well suited for the zone run game. Neither will be the homerun hitter that McKinnon could turn out to be, but they are also more known commodities and would represent very good value in rounds 5-6.

Other than that one minor criticism, like I stated previously, I really would be impressedd with something close to this draft haul.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
I have a couple of questions, and both revolve around the trade up in round 2 on which I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

1: Who is left after Jordan Matthews on the WR board if we don't make that trade with Indy?

I know you love Matthews (and I voted for him in the poll), but would it be wiser to just squat on the pick and get a Davante Adams, Donte Moncrief, or the potentially freefalling Marquise Lee? I think if we did the latter, we could add an additional TE prospect in either round 5 or 6 (Logan Thomas should still be available with our 6th rounder if we hold on to it). Carolina may prefer one of the aforementioned alternatives to Matthews, so we might not even need to trade up to get him, but any of them would be comparable talents as well.

2: Is Terrence Brooks the best FS prospect for the team in your mind, and do you think it's dangerous to wait until the middle of the 3rd round to get our FS?

If you believe Brooks to be the best fit, then I have no real commentary on the player selection. But if Jimmie Ward or Deone Bucannon are more highly rated, wouldn't they be better selections in round 2, and then we can address WR at a later pick? The WR class is extremely deep, and I'm sure a good talent would fall into round 3 or even later. I'm not so sure that the same thing can be said of the S class, and I fear that there could be a run in the 2nd-early 3rd rounds that leaves us empty handed if we wait until pick 79 to grab one.

Overall, I do like the quality and depth added to the team. I really like Tuitt and Desir picks, and if we could pull off this draft, it would be a phenomenal coup and arguably Ozzie's best work.

That said, my only real criticism is that I am a little iffy on the McKinnon selection because, despite his speed and athleticism, he's a convert to the position and hasn't really demonstrated that he can do a lot of the things that RBs are asked to do in the NFL (blocking, screens, etc.). I might be more inclined to take a less athletically gifted RB with more of a concept of those things like Lorenzo Taliaferro or Marion Grice, who are both also pretty well suited for the zone run game. Neither will be the homerun hitter that McKinnon could turn out to be, but they are also more known commodities and would represent very good value in rounds 5-6.

Other than that one minor criticism, like I stated previously, I really would be impressed with something close to this draft haul.

For question 1, that's sort of a two part answer... The first part of the answer is that I used DraftCountDown's latest 3 round mock draft as my baseline for prospects being available. Obviously though the butterfly effect would mean that the Ravens changing selections or performing trades would establish different variables and alternatives successfully effecting other teams, but yeah...

So the true answer to your question, the WRs that were off the board were:
Sammy Watkins (4)
Mike Evans (10)
Kelvin Benjamin (22)
Brandin Cooks (23)
Odell Beckham Jr (27)
Marqise Lee (30)... Butterfly effect starts...
Cody Latimer (36)
Donte Moncrief (46)

So while Davante Adams might have still been available, I'm not nearly as high on him as I am Jordan Matthews. He's more limited athletically, I see less speed. There have also been some slight work ethic concerns brought to the table IIRC. He's not as tall nor as long. If the price to get the prospect you REALLY want vs settling for someone you view as inferior is only a 6th round pick... while having 8 other picks to work with... I say do it.

I initially weighed the idea of exchanging our 6th with Indy for our initial 7th... however, they were already losing out on the trade by a few points. I'm sure they'd want as much as they can get... and we would be desperate enough in this situation to move up to get our guy... why wouldn't they hold out for all they can get? I wouldn't blame them.

FWIW, I initially would have used that 7th round pick to select Alex Bayer, however, I changed my mind about what might be fair to Indy. And Bayer just might make it to UDFA status where we could pursue him heavily.

Also, I don't think Logan Thomas makes it that long. I know we could perhaps look towards a TE at that spot, but Tyrod Taylor isn't someone I'm confident in as our backup and he needs competition. Logan Thomas presents all the physical tools to the equation. Some team is going to take him a little earlier than expected... and if the choice is between a TE that competes with Matt Furstenburg to at best be #3 on our depth chart... or a potential backup QB... I take the backup QB. In a year if we still need a TE because Furstenburg fails and we can't find a veteran option, I'd be okay with using a more premium selection on someone that fits the bill. But the difference between a 5th round TE and an UDFA option probably wasn't going to be as big a gap as what should prohibit us from taking a backup QB or standing pat to see if our WR will fall past a needy team.

For question two, I think Jimmie Ward and Calvin Pryor are better FS prospects than Terrance Brooks for "us". I rank Terrance Brooks similarly to HaSean Clinton-Dix and Deone Bucannon. Clinton-Dix is the better player ATM, but I see JAG status with him with a lower ceiling. Bucannon profiles as more of an in the box type, but could certainly operate in a left safety, right safety dynamic because of his playmaking ability in coverage. He's not strong in pure man coverage, but has nice instincts in a zone IMO. Terrance Brooks probably presents the lowest floor of that bunch, but certainly the highest ceiling as well. With the right coaching, I see the athleticism and feel for the game that could perhaps reach All Pro status. I don't find that ceiling likely, more likely I see him settle as an above average FS option, but I believe if we're going to miss out on Jimmie Ward, Brooks is probably the next best "fit" for our secondary... and he presents the athleticism necessary to "swing for the fences". I think the 3rd round is the round where you look to take players with high ceilings and see what happens.

In terms of why not target Jimmie Ward earlier? Well truth be told, I initially trading down and selected Ward. However... then I put on my thinking cap harder. Drafting Ward would mean we're plugging perhaps our biggest need with the best fit and best talent at that position in the draft, yes... but there are also other safeties that I believe could be available later on. Whereas besides Cyrus Kouandjio and Joel Bitonio there aren't many OTs that I would really feel comfortable being a starter along our OL. I felt the dropoff was greater in talent and that there were fewer options. I saw Ward and Kouandjio as similarly ranked talents. Thus I felt more comfortable taking the player that left more talent on the board for us to pounce on. Between Joyner, Bucannon, Ward, etc. I could feel comfortable with either... while all being on the board allows us to monitor the position and potentially trade up in the event that the position begins to dry up sooner than expected. In this mock draft universe, there is no need to trade up because the safeties fall off the board at a safe enough rate to feel confident.

And again, I think there's a difference between Matthews and some of the 3rd round guys. I think Matthews has upside to be a top 10-15 player. Some of those other guys I see as nice complementary options. But not guys that I could view as a legitimate #1 or #2 WR option. I was impressed with Latimer as a potential late 2nd/early 3rd round option, but he's been rising to the point where that might not be an accurate expectation to have.

And lastly, with regard to Jerrick McKinnon. I know that he doesn't bring a proven track record to the table at the position. But that also means he brings less of a beating to the league. Furthermore, the RB position is much more about instincts and feel vs other aspects. So while his pass blocking might be something to be afraid of, he's in a stable where he shouldn't need to be depended on to handle those responsibilities early. He can simply learn in practice and make some big plays every now and again as a rookie. His pass blocking, should have the potential to become good enouh with proper coaching and development. Most RBs have to learn how to become better blockers. I think his playmaking skillset is worth the risk. The other RBs aren't going to be gamebreakers. I think if we're going to address the position we might as well look for the guy with the most potential. Sure he might be more raw, but we have Rice, Pierce, and a veteran RB (when Rice is suspended) that will worry about those things. All McKinnon would have to focus on is his niche and becoming a core special teams option... which he shows the athleticism for.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've soured on Kouandjio a bit for the Ravens. Taking a prospect like Kouandjio (or Moses, Richardson, James, etc.) effectively cements Osemele in at left guard and even though he can play that position it's hard to say if he can succeed there in Kubiak's scheme like we've discussed to death. I would much rather have a versatile guy like Bitonio who could switch with Osemele if/when needed. Bitonio might not be as good as Kouandjio overall (at this point that's a big maybe given how many people like Bitonio), but I think the offensive line as a whole would benefit more.

I'm not a big fan of Tuitt for Baltimore either. He may have played some two-gap at Notre Dame but he's not going to be able to do that successfully in the NFL. Despite his size Tuitt doesn't have the power to hold up in that role. However, Tuitt is versatile like you said and with the potential of Pees not being around after this season I wouldn't really dislike the Ravens taking him in the second round. He's not an impact pass-rusher but Tuitt probably provides more in that regard than most defensive linemen we've seen on the team in years.

Jordan Matthews is still good. Especially at the 59th pick in the second round.

Terrance Brooks is a good consolation prize if the team doesn't get Clinton-Dix, Pryor, or Ward. He's definitely my fourth option for them and one of the few guys I'd feel comfortable with starting right away (in addition to those listed above).

I like Desir in the third round. Realistically I think any cornerback the Ravens could potentially take this year wouldn't be getting a ton of snaps (Brown and Jackson probably get the most right away) and that would work well with a guy like Desir who probably has more adjusting to do than other prospects.

I'm not familiar with McKinnon. From what I can tell by looking around that seems to be a bit higher than anybody is projecting him to go though.

The same goes for Fortt. I don't like an inside linebacker being taken that high either. To be honest I see that position as nothing more than a possible UDFA priority.

Ah Logan Thomas. I know it's a possibility but I'm not sure how to feel about it. He should be a better thrower than Taylor right out of the gate but that's not saying much. I guess it's the kind of gamble I could get behind in the 5th round.
dcfields

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Terrance Brooks. I also went to Florida State which means I tend to think with my heart when it comes to 'Noles.

I'm TRYING to be as unbiased as I possibly can, and believe me, I've thought this through. I don't think Terrance Brooks makes it to #79.

My greatest fear is that we wait in hopes of getting Brooks and he's goes somewhere between #65 and #78.

Honestly, I would love to drop down from #48 to #60, reach a bit and take Brooks and pick up an additional 3rd round pick. I don't think it's gonna happen.

He's fast, instinctive, has leadership qualities, can play the run, etc., ad nauseum. He is the fastest free safety in this class. For that reason alone, I don't think he makes it to us in the 3rd in today's pass-oriented league.

Other than Kouandjio's knee scaring me a bit, I would be happy with this draft, DB!
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best draft I've seen so far. I'd be ecstatic if this was the outcome. Great job, db.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfields wrote:
I love Terrance Brooks. I also went to Florida State which means I tend to think with my heart when it comes to 'Noles.

I'm TRYING to be as unbiased as I possibly can, and believe me, I've thought this through. I don't think Terrance Brooks makes it to #79.

My greatest fear is that we wait in hopes of getting Brooks and he's goes somewhere between #65 and #78.

Honestly, I would love to drop down from #48 to #60, reach a bit and take Brooks and pick up an additional 3rd round pick. I don't think it's gonna happen.

He's fast, instinctive, has leadership qualities, can play the run, etc., ad nauseum. He is the fastest free safety in this class. For that reason alone, I don't think he makes it to us in the 3rd in today's pass-oriented league.

Other than Kouandjio's knee scaring me a bit, I would be happy with this draft, DB!

In terms of Brooks. I think you could be right. It's always hard to tell where a player might go. But I feel confident that either Bucannon or Brooks will be available at pick #79.

I know that with cbssports they've got him ranked as their 72nd prospect and draftcountdown has him at 83. So #79 is right around where he should be taken. It should depend on team needs and preferences. I'm hoping we see a run on pass rushing talents to start the 3rd and push some of that last top notch safety talent down the board.

Scott Wright has him going 98th in his mock. So I think the 79th pick might be around where he goes best case. Perhaps a few picks before like you said. We'll see I suppose.
=================
In terms of Kouandjio's knee, I think while it's definitely a concern. Kouandjio has serious potential. Ozzie has connections to Alabama. I'd argue that CK71 was a better OT than DJ Fluker in 2012. And we saw how well Fluker adjusted to the pros after displaying similar athleticism at the combine. You just can't teach those tree long arms, size, and athleticism.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
In terms of Kouandjio's knee, I think while it's definitely a concern. Kouandjio has serious potential. Ozzie has connections to Alabama. I'd argue that CK71 was a better OT than DJ Fluker in 2012. And we saw how well Fluker adjusted to the pros after displaying similar athleticism at the combine. You just can't teach those tree long arms, size, and athleticism.

Kouandjio is mystifying. You're right. He was better than Fluker in '12. And he was considered the top OT by many going into the 2013 season. Then suddenly, red flags started popping up. From everything I've read about his knee, he basically needs another procedure to "clean up" issues from the previous procedure. I've also read that there are concern that the knee has become arthritic but nothing that is serious enough to take him off the board entirely. His lack of functional speed has become a concern. Some have even questioned his work ethic. I don't think he could be an effective LT but fortunately for the Ravens, we don't need a LT.

The funny thing is that you don't know how much of this stuff is a smoke screen. The bottom line: For all of the negative points everyone continues to bring up about Kouandjio, no one can come up with a reason to drop him below #35 in their Regardless of Position rankings.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfields wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Kouandjio is mystifying. You're right. He was better than Fluker in '12. And he was considered the top OT by many going into the 2013 season. Then suddenly, red flags started popping up. From everything I've read about his knee, he basically needs another procedure to "clean up" issues from the previous procedure. I've also read that there are concern that the knee has become arthritic but nothing that is serious enough to take him off the board entirely. His lack of functional speed has become a concern. Some have even questioned his work ethic. I don't think he could be an effective LT but fortunately for the Ravens, we don't need a LT.

The funny thing is that you don't know how much of this stuff is a smoke screen. The bottom line: For all of the negative points everyone continues to bring up about Kouandjio, no one can come up with a reason to drop him below #35 in their Regardless of Position rankings.

Yeah. I sort of shortened my Kouandjio response some. But I agree with the point about the smokescreens. And that's where I meant to go with that post when I mentioned Ozzie's Bama connections. He should have a better understanding of what is and isn't true regarding Cyrus.

The knee injury happened in 2011, before his 2012 play. So I doubt complications from that procedure effected his 2013 play. More likely, he may have just had a down year. Taylor Lewan was better in 2012 than 2013 as well, yet he's not taking the same hit... even considering his character concerns.

I just think considering how close Ozzie is to the fire, he should know how hot it is. He should have detailed knowledge on what to expect from Kouandjio. The guy would only be a 21 year old rookie. I think Kouandjio is a definite risk, but also very much incredible reward. Ozzie's knowledge of the player makes me think he might be more comfortable taking him than some of the other teams. Though I suppose that knowledge could also go the opposite way in which case we know to stay away. We'll see.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: