Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

"Bengals are better off without Gruden"....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: "Bengals are better off without Gruden".... Reply with quote

When asked how he thought Jay Gruden would fare in Washington, ex-Redskin Exec Vinny Cerrato ended up saying how he thought the Bengals were better off without him:

"Well I say this, I think Cincinnati got better," Cerrato began. "And here’s why I say that: I think Hue Jackson will run the ball," Cerrato said.

"I think Cincinnati got better by him leaving. Just look at one play against the Ravens last year. They had the Ravens on the ropes, ready to quit. They run the ball down to the 1, he throws an interception, they continue the game.

"See, I think what they’ll do now in Cincinnati is [offensive coordinator] Hue Jackson will run the football a lot more than Jay Gruden. I think there’ll be more balance."

Cerrato does go one to say he thinks Jay will fit in Washington because of their personnel. It's clear the Bengals are better when they run the ball, and Hue will ensure they do more of that.

The Redskins though should be better with more passing with a QB like Robert Griffin III, something Jay loves. Either way, the Bengals should be fine without Jay."

Wow......that hurts. Say it like you mean it Vinny !!!

Anyone disagree with Cerrato.......
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying that since after the 2012 season. I never saw the fuss about Gruden. He was better than Bratkowski, but the bar doesn't get set much lower than that.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bengals are definitely better off without Gruden.

No disrespect to Jay Gruden, because he did a excellent job in Andy Dalton's growth. He helped save this team in 2011 and did a nice job in 2012 as well. But down the road, he got worse.

Gruden's problem is he made Dalton pass it all the time and he choose to ignore running the football. Lets remember a good statistic that under Marvin Lewis, the Bengals are 36-7 when they have a RB that runs for over 100 yards. Not one time last year did anybody have a 100 yard game.

Hue Jackson will commit to the run, so yeah it was time for Jay Gruden to go.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes i wonder what people expect going into these things. brat was gone, but marvin was still the head coach, so how much would someone expect things to change? plus, Gruden cut his teeth in the arena league. Not exactly known as a running first league. what would any reasonable person expect him to do here?

it reminds me of when Frazier was here.. good coach, but didn't fit well with Marvin. hope he does well in Washington, because I think the first time things go bad and the media starts in on him, he will flip out.
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were quoting me.......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
I've been saying that since after the 2012 season. I never saw the fuss about Gruden. He was better than Bratkowski, but the bar doesn't get set much lower than that.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly on the matter.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:
I thought you were quoting me.......

same thought process.... Probably shoulda cited you or something....

Or just Pmed it to you and let you post it Laughing
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:

No disrespect to Jay Gruden, because he did a excellent job in Andy Dalton's growth. He helped save this team in 2011 and did a nice job in 2012 as well. But down the road, he got worse.

Gruden's problem is he made Dalton pass it all the time and he choose to ignore running the football. Lets remember a good statistic that under Marvin Lewis, the Bengals are 36-7 when they have a RB that runs for over 100 yards. Not one time last year did anybody have a 100 yard game.

How did Gruden make Dalton "pass it all the time and choose to ignore running the football" when your team was 8th in the league in rushing attempts and only 5 attempts away from 6th in the league?

I'm not trying to start an argument, just looking to understand because this slight against Gruden doesn't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

How did Gruden make Dalton "pass it all the time and choose to ignore running the football" when your team was 8th in the league in rushing attempts and only 5 attempts away from 6th in the league?

I'm not trying to start an argument, just looking to understand because this slight against Gruden doesn't make sense to me.

There were too many times last season in close game situations, where many of us thought Gruden moved away from the run too soon. We all know the WCO scheme that Gruden runs involves short passes in place of runs, but we just did not run it enough.....

It may work better with a talented passer like RG3, but many of us feel it didn't work with Dalton...

Running the ball more will suit the Bengals better, a short passing game may work better for Gruden and RG3
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

There were too many times last season in close game situations, where many of us thought Gruden moved away from the run too soon. We all know the WCO scheme that Gruden runs involves short passes in place of runs, but we just did not run it enough.....

It may work better with a talented passer like RG3, but many of us feel it didn't work with Dalton...

Running the ball more will suit the Bengals better, a short passing game may work better for Gruden and RG3

With that you also have to undestand how many times Gruden had BJGE running tosses and stretch plays and Gio running dives up the middle. Not really playing to our RB's strengths at all

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Hokie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted Gruden fired on the spot when he called for a pass on 1st and goal on the 2 yard line when we were up in the 4th quarter against the Ravens. Dumbest playcall I've ever seen.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

You can't go just based upon ranking attempts. The reason that number is so high is because there defense was so great, thus the Bengals offense was always hitting the field a lot.

Look at the games where Dalton was forced to do too much, and his numbers are not that great.

This is not gonna affect RG3 though. He has the stamina to handle himself down the road, because he has more potential than Dalton will ever have. Dalton isn't that type of guy that can throw 40 something passes per game. Hes better off with just staying around 30.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: