Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans have signed former Colt DE Ricardo Mathews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Texans have signed former Colt DE Ricardo Mathews Reply with quote

The Texans have added some depth to the D-line. Mathews is listed as 6'03" and 300 lbs., anyone know anything about him?

Here's a link.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/15/texans-add-some-defensive-line-depth-with-ricardo-mathews/
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Championship
texans_uk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will he even make it out of camp?

kenney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Will he even make it out of camp?

I think so. He's at least as good a player as Crick.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the idea of keeping Rick Smith around was to see what he was like without the influence of Kubiak mucking up the works with his desire to keep the offense together with ill advised contracts for his favs like OD, Schaub, Foster, and Meyers, influence on dumb picks like Posey, Martin, Bonner, Bullock, Yates, Brink, the CSU, Rice, Broncos and buddy roster slots, and his warped sense of priorities like adding 4 TEs in successive drafts in Hill, Casey, Graham, and Dickerson while still staying loyal to OD and Dreessen.

So now I think we are left with the Rick Smith model which was the other half of the problem. Poor feel for mixing vets and young talent, poor evaluation of talent in the secondary, inability to learn from previous mistakes in thinking we could get by with street free agents and late draft picks pushed into starting positions, failing to learn from previous experience with injuries tanking seasons even with the same players like AJ, Cushing, Sharpton, and Manning, failing to get ahead of the draft like the Packers, Pats, and Ravens do in cycling in 2nd and 3rd year replacements vs. rookies, and of course, his own draft day biases to the glamour programs in the Big 10, SEC, and ACC while ignoring most programs West of the Mississippi or outside the BCS after flopping with Molden and Jacoby out of the gate.

This defensive depth chart feels like 2007 all over again when cheap garbage like CC Brown, Von Hutchins, Fred Bennett, Danny Clark, Will Demps, Petey Faggins, Zac Diles, Anthony Maddox were sold to us as starters because Mario, Dunta, and Amobi were going to get us to the promised land while he purged others mistakes like Weaver, Travis Johnson, Glenn Earl, and Morlon Greenwood. I hope he's not around to sell us the next versions if Jacques Reeves, Eugene Wilson, Kevin Bentley, and Nick Ferguson as the free agent solutions, while burning picks on players who barely see the field like Adibi, Harrison, Okam, and Molden, or worse still those that do like Barber, McCain, and Nolan did. The Mercilus / Crick and Montgomery / Travardo Williams picks all felt like Rick Smith "BPA/value" picks that never seem to pan out, so I'm not holding my breath for answers arriving beyond day two defensively as he tries to find players to fit Romeo Crennel's system on the cheap.

Offensively, the Antoine Caldwell, Ben Jones, Nick Mondek, Brandon Brooks, and Brennan Williams picks (plus low rent signings) all feel like Rick Smith picks (vs. Kasey Studdard, Shelley Smith, Quessenberry, plus Brisiel UDFA signing which fit the Kubiak model). I think the Winston / Newton move was a mutual mistake of Rick trying to force Kubiak to give up something to keep his priority players with Kubiak making a poor rationalization about Derek Newton taking a 2nd/3rd year leap like Duane Brown did (Alex Gibbs one inspired contribution although I still think we could have gotten him in the 3rd).

Honestly, thus far, I've seen nothing definitively smacking of O'Brien's influence aside from purging Schaub and OD, and maybe the Fitz and Andre Brown signings. I'm anticipating a TE pick to have O'Brien's stamp on it along with a slot receiver in addition to whatever QB we end up with which I think will be a day 3 project that will ultimately back up 2015 FA or pick. Ultimately, one thing that would impress me is if O'Brien is willing to forgo the instant gratification of having his QB of the future this season in favor of better options next year. I think that sometimes you can be a victim of your own success as I'm not convinced Chip Kelly really wants Nick Foles or Andy Reid wants Alex Smith long-term but their initial success makes taking another QB that falls to them difficult. Tell me Kelly doesn't want Mariota in the worst way, so I would throw Foles into the 2015 mix along with Mallett, Hoyer and maybe Dalton, Locker, Bradford and their are always a few surprises. Taking a QB in the 1st or 2nd this year pretty much locks us into that guy for 2-3 seasons, whereas a season split between Fitzmajic and 3rd-5th rounder we might be able to spin off for future picks after we either sign or draft "the guy" in 2015.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: