Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Draft thread - Bears have 14th pick in 1st Rd.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 85, 86, 87  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neo wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:
I just would have a hard time believing the defense is completely overhauled if Emery doesn't take a true FS. Right now, there's Mundy, Conte, Steltz, McCray, and Jennings. All of those are average to bad football players and all, except Conte, are SS's. If Clinton-Dix is there at 14, he has to be the pick...right?

I think so yes

Me too.

I like Ha Ha a lot, but do you think we can get better overall production from a combo of Donald/Hageman and Bucannon or Ha Ha and Tuitt/Quarles. Either way I think we get positive results. Emery has set us up again for the draft, but I honestly think he goes DT. If we take Ha-Ha, I would not be opposed to still trying to get Bucannon in the 2nd.

Neither would I. Buchanon and HCD would be a very promising set of safeties for us, and you can find contributors at DT in rounds 3-4.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
neo wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:
I just would have a hard time believing the defense is completely overhauled if Emery doesn't take a true FS. Right now, there's Mundy, Conte, Steltz, McCray, and Jennings. All of those are average to bad football players and all, except Conte, are SS's. If Clinton-Dix is there at 14, he has to be the pick...right?

I think so yes

Me too.

I like Ha Ha a lot, but do you think we can get better overall production from a combo of Donald/Hageman and Bucannon or Ha Ha and Tuitt/Quarles. Either way I think we get positive results. Emery has set us up again for the draft, but I honestly think he goes DT. If we take Ha-Ha, I would not be opposed to still trying to get Bucannon in the 2nd.

Neither would I. Buchanon and HCD would be a very promising set of safeties for us, and you can find contributors at DT in rounds 3-4.

I watched almost every South Carolina game and I was not impressed at all with Quarles. I think he MAYBE goes round 3. If they draft HHCD and Bucannon, I think Bucannon plays the year on ST with Mundy starting at SS. Having two rookies safeties could be tough to watch.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
neo wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:

I think so yes

Me too.

I watched almost every South Carolina game and I was not impressed at all with Quarles. I think he MAYBE goes round 3. If they draft HHCD and Bucannon, I think Bucannon plays the year on ST with Mundy starting at SS. Having two rookies safeties could be tough to watch.

I don't think them being rookies versus Mundy being a vet makes a great deal of difference. The better player will play in almost any scenario. IMO the transition to the NFL at safety should be relatively simple by comparison to other positions, as the back end of pass defense is essentially the same at both the NFL and collegiate levels. Man coverage is man coverage, and zone responsibilities are no different in cover 1/2/3/4 in the NFL than they were in college. IMO, if you take a guy at safety in the top two rounds and they aren't converting from corner to safety as they reach the NFL then my expectation is that they're ready to play in year one, and in the case of the first round, in week one.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
neo wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:

I think so yes

Me too.

13. St Louis- Hasean Clinton-Dix
14. Chicago- Kyle Fuller

Bucannon/Brooks/Ward will be taken well before pick #51, it'll require trading up in the 2nd ala Alshon Jeffery IMO.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Emery Draft Checklist

1. Athletic

He has shown that he values athletic ability more than anything and with the amount that he talks about his athletic index it gives credence to its importance in his evaluation process. His draft picks have been mostly guys who have shown athletic ability on the field and in the offseason testing process.

Shea McCellin [4.63 40, 9'10" Broad, 7.07 3 Cone, 4.33 Shuttle]

McClellin really did well in the running and movement portion of the testing and showed a lot of speed.

Kyle Long [4.94 40, 28" Vertical, 8'11" Broad, 7.83 3 Cone, 4.63 Shuttle]

These numbers are crazy for a 6'6" 315lbs. man and he showed on the field that rare athletic ability can compensate for a lack of experience and technique.

Alshon Jeffery [4.48 40, 36.5 Vertical, 10'2" Broad, 6.71 3 Cone, 4.17 Shuttle]

At 6'3" 217lbs. these numbers are exceptional especially the explosive jumps and cone times. This athletic ability caused Emery to have Jeffery very high on his board; he said he was his #1 WR, despite some concerns in league circles.

Brandon Hardin [4.43 40, 35.5" Vertical, 10'4" Broad, 6.88 Cone, 4.17 Shuttle]

He was a bad pick, but at 6'3" 217lbs. with this athletic ability he was at the top of the position group and you could see that he had the physical package to play at the NFL level.

Jon Bostic [4.61 40, 9'10" Broad, 6.99 3 Cone, 4.24 Shuttle]

There were arguably more accomplished LBs available when the Bears picked Bostic, but none had his combination of speed and size.

2. Projectable

Many of Emery's picks have been projectable as NFL players whether because of size, athletic ability, or production he does not take players that have a ceiling of being average starter. He will sacrifice production if he can see them as something more than what they were in college.

Phil Emery is a high ceiling drafter, not a high floor drafter.

Many of his picks were considered reaches because they did not have the college resume that others had at the position.

Kyle Long [5 Starts]

Alshon Jeffery [Off Field/Weight Concerns]

Shea McClellin [30 Tackles, 7 sacks]

Brandon Hardin [Missed Draft Season]

Cornelius Washington [Never did a lot at Georgia]

Marquess Wilson [Quit college team]

3. Big

Phil Emery talks a lot about it being a big man's game and he continually proves it.

He brought in 5 OLmen last season and the smallest one was Jermon Bushrod 6'5" 315lbs.

He brought in 6 DLmen this season and they are 6'6" [Allen], 6'6" [Idonije], 6'6" [Lane], 6'5" [Young], 6'5" [Scott], 6'3" [Houston].

Phil Emery knows that when you have 2 equal players in terms of talent and technique, more often than not the bigger player will win the battle. He has shown that in his drafting. Kyle Long, Jordan Mills, Cornelius Washington, Marquess Wilson, Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Hardin are all players at the top end of size for their positions.

4. Productive

I think with Emery your college production plays a part, but I do not think it over rides whether he thinks you can run and hit with the big boys. Kyle Long, 5 starts, Brandon Hardin, missed the entire season his draft year, Alshon Jeffery, had a down junior year. Emery will not take someone who was productive if he does not see the NFL ceiling.

In fact the only players that really impressed with their college production were Khaseem Greene and Alshon Jeffery.

If you need more evidence look no further than Kyle Long. Phil Emery took a 1st round pick that had 5 career Division 1 starts. He started less than half a season in his college career.

5. Off Field Concerns, Who Cares

Phil Emery has shown that talent and athletic ability will trump off field concerns. He is far more willing to take character risks than Jerry Angelo was. Sometimes it works out well [Long] other times it does not work [Rodriguez]. Whether the concerns were justified or not he has taken a number of players with off field blemishes.

Kyle Long [Drugs/Arrests]
Cornelius Washington [Arrests]
Marquess Wilson [Quit Team]
Alshon Jeffery [Weight/Attitude] thank god for these false concerns
Evan Rodriguez [Arrests]

Observations

1. Phil Emery has a method and he stays true to it. He is going to draft big, athletic players.

2. Phil Emery is a gambler. He will overlook lack of production and off field concerns to get players he thing project well to the NFL.

3. Emery is going to focus on Ceiling and not the Floor.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We're voting on Chicago's pick at 14 in the draft section.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=546312

It would be great to have your thoughts and votes.

Thanks,

GFW
Bowler1215

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Anthony Barr in our mix? I heard he might slide in round 1. If he falls to us, do we grab him, or do trade back for a team that wants him?
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

1. Athletic

He has shown that he values athletic ability more than anything and with the amount that he talks about his athletic index it gives credence to its importance in his evaluation process. His draft picks have been mostly guys who have shown athletic ability on the field and in the offseason testing process.

McClellin really did well in the running and movement portion of the testing and showed a lot of speed.

These numbers are crazy for a 6'6" 315lbs. man and he showed on the field that rare athletic ability can compensate for a lack of experience and technique.

At 6'3" 217lbs. these numbers are exceptional especially the explosive jumps and cone times. This athletic ability caused Emery to have Jeffery very high on his board; he said he was his #1 WR, despite some concerns in league circles.

He was a bad pick, but at 6'3" 217lbs. with this athletic ability he was at the top of the position group and you could see that he had the physical package to play at the NFL level.

There were arguably more accomplished LBs available when the Bears picked Bostic, but none had his combination of speed and size.

2. Projectable

Many of Emery's picks have been projectable as NFL players whether because of size, athletic ability, or production he does not take players that have a ceiling of being average starter. He will sacrifice production if he can see them as something more than what they were in college.

Many of his picks were considered reaches because they did not have the college resume that others had at the position.

Kyle Long [5 Starts]

3. Big

Phil Emery talks a lot about it being a big man's game and he continually proves it.

He brought in 5 OLmen last season and the smallest one was Jermon Bushrod 6'5" 315lbs.

He brought in 6 DLmen this season and they are 6'6" [Allen], 6'6" [Idonije], 6'6" [Lane], 6'5" [Young], 6'5" [Scott], 6'3" [Houston].

Phil Emery knows that when you have 2 equal players in terms of talent and technique, more often than not the bigger player will win the battle. He has shown that in his drafting. Kyle Long, Jordan Mills, Cornelius Washington, Marquess Wilson, Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Hardin are all players at the top end of size for their positions.

4. Productive

I think with Emery your college production plays a part, but I do not think it over rides whether he thinks you can run and hit with the big boys. Kyle Long, 5 starts, Brandon Hardin, missed the entire season his draft year, Alshon Jeffery, had a down junior year. Emery will not take someone who was productive if he does not see the NFL ceiling.

In fact the only players that really impressed with their college production were Khaseem Greene and Alshon Jeffery.

If you need more evidence look no further than Kyle Long. Phil Emery took a 1st round pick that had 5 career Division 1 starts. He started less than half a season in his college career.

Phil Emery has shown that talent and athletic ability will trump off field concerns. He is far more willing to take character risks than Jerry Angelo was. Sometimes it works out well [Long] other times it does not work [Rodriguez]. Whether the concerns were justified or not he has taken a number of players with off field blemishes.

Evan Rodriguez [Arrests]

Observations

1. Phil Emery has a method and he stays true to it. He is going to draft big, athletic players.

2. Phil Emery is a gambler. He will overlook lack of production and off field concerns to get players he thing project well to the NFL.

Excellent analysis and, if I had any doubts, this convinces me that Emery will not draft Aaron Donald rather than Hagemann.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

1. Athletic

2. Projectable

Kyle Long [5 Starts]

3. Big

4. Productive

Evan Rodriguez [Arrests]

Observations

Excellent analysis and, if I had any doubts, this convinces me that Emery will not draft Aaron Donald rather than Hagemann.

Agreed. It makes me think he'd go Hageman before Donald and Clinton-Dix. It also makes me think that because his ceiling may not be very high, Clinton-Dix has no chance of being a Bear in May even if he's available at 14.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the Bears prospect visits the have had very physical hard hitting DBs in predraft.

Bucannon
Pryor
Fuller

Makes me think he wants to get tougher in the secondary.
HuskieBear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341123/article/scouting-director-2014-dl-class-worst-ive-seen-in-a-long-time

Quote:
Aaron Donald
NFC scouting director: "I don't know about this guy. You look at him, and he's too small. But then you watch him and all he does is produce. I'm torn on him."

Ra'Shede Hageman
NFC scouting director: "When he wants to play, he can. You watch him for a couple of plays, and you see things. Then, you don't see him again."
AFC personnel executive: "He's big and talented. But he's lazy."

Timmy Jernigan
NFC scout: "He tapped out in the championship game. On that last Auburn drive, you couldn't find him."
AFC personnel executive: "He can do a lot of things. He's very strong. He's a first-rounder."

There are more prospects listed in the link, but here are the most common guys that are linked to us
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HuskieBear wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341123/article/scouting-director-2014-dl-class-worst-ive-seen-in-a-long-time

Quote:
Aaron Donald
NFC scouting director: "I don't know about this guy. You look at him, and he's too small. But then you watch him and all he does is produce. I'm torn on him."

Ra'Shede Hageman
NFC scouting director: "When he wants to play, he can. You watch him for a couple of plays, and you see things. Then, you don't see him again."

Timmy Jernigan
NFC scout: "He tapped out in the championship game. On that last Auburn drive, you couldn't find him."
AFC personnel executive: "He can do a lot of things. He's very strong. He's a first-rounder."

There are more prospects listed in the link, but here are the most common guys that are linked to us

Very interesting.

Jernigan is a guy who I think will be higher on NFL boards then fan boards.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
HuskieBear wrote:

Quote:
Aaron Donald

Ra'Shede Hageman

Timmy Jernigan

Very interesting.

I do too. He probably doesn't have the upside of Hageman or Donald but he's a higher floor guy than either. Not every team shoots for a grand slam in round 1 - lots are happy taking guys they can safely bet on being a run-scoring double for the next half decade and take their big swings later on. At worst Jernigan is probably a solid starter in a 4-3 front for several years. Every 4-3 team in the league can use guys like that.

With that said though, that does NOT profile to fit with Emery's 1st round approach.

GRRLacher wrote:
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
HuskieBear wrote:

Quote:
Aaron Donald

Ra'Shede Hageman

Timmy Jernigan

Very interesting.

I do too. He probably doesn't have the upside of Hageman or Donald but he's a higher floor guy than either. Not every team shoots for a grand slam in round 1 - lots are happy taking guys they can safely bet on being a run-scoring double for the next half decade and take their big swings later on. At worst Jernigan is probably a solid starter in a 4-3 front for several years. Every 4-3 team in the league can use guys like that.

With that said though, that does NOT profile to fit with Emery's 1st round approach.

Well the main problem is I dont believe he is flexible as far as his position goes. That's why I think he slides. Like Floyd last year.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
KG1187

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am becoming more opposed to taking a CB round one because the D is so weak up the middle. Huge holes and DT, and S plus DJ Williams is on the wrong side of 30 has played very little football in the past three years and is coming off of injury. Sure Tillman is old but so are Ratliff and Williams. With Tim Jennings the Bears can wait on a CB. Rather the Bears be weak on the edges instead of the middle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Page 67 of 87

Jump to: