Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What is the highest you would ever draft a backup QB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregorSamsa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: What is the highest you would ever draft a backup QB? Reply with quote

Not in the Bengal's current situation. But a situation where you have a plus starter and the pick would clearly be a backup. Say a terrible disturbance in the time space continuum merged every HOF QB with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and myself Very Happy, and that 22 year old stud was on the Bengals with a 7 year contract. Any other team detail can be part of your answer.

"Well if he did not have any true needs going into the draft and Bob Laub Law somehow slid to the second..."

"Well if Mr. Herman T. Elwich (our godlike QB) was recovering from X surgery on his Y, then I might take a backup as high as..."

Or it could be this team and you could be a rational Bengals fan, "I know that Andy Dalton is a good enough quarterback if he has the rest of the team in place around him, and he still continues to improve! And it would be difficult to replace him with a better player either through the draft of free agency. But he has not re-signed with the team yet; so to have a backup plan I could live with in the event he ends up leaving or if he ends up staying I would invest a Z round pick on a backup."

My thinking is that a good backup is a great investment. If your starter goes down your season isn't totally shot: Brady-Castle, Smith-Kaepernick. or Grossman-Orton; as well as the backup being a tradable asset: Schaub, Kolb, or Hasselbeck. If the pick turned out to be a decent player but for some reason a trade could not be worked out it could still earn a team a high compensatory draft pick.

GregorSamsa wrote:
Yes, yes I will quote myself
sparky151

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Thompson was a top 5 pick for the Bengals in 1979. The throwin Samoan didn't displace Ken Anderson and was eventually traded.

If you mean a backup qua backup, then 2nd round is as early as a team should try and that only if other needs are filled. It's not hard to find a veteran backup QB so drafting a QB to fill a backup role should be done mainly by cap strapped teams. Not the Bengals.
Carson4MVP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:
Jack Thompson was a top 5 pick for the Bengals in 1979. The throwin Samoan didn't displace Ken Anderson and was eventually traded.

If you mean a backup qua backup, then 2nd round is as early as a team should try and that only if other needs are filled. It's not hard to find a veteran backup QB so drafting a QB to fill a backup role should be done mainly by cap strapped teams. Not the Bengals.

I disagree with you here. I'd rather have a 2nd round QB as a backup than the garbage we have had since Kitna was traded. With most teams, I don't see anything wrong with a 1st round pick backup QB. The exceptions are the terrible 10 teams or so that wouldn't be in playoff contention if there were 20 playoff teams... They obviously have so many holes they need every pick they can get.
sparky151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 types of backup QBs, the patch guys who are supposed to hold things together til the starter returns from injury. Think Kitna or McCown. For that role, you want a veteran who can be ready to go in an instant and has some previous experience. He also won't need a lot of practice reps during the week. The other type is the heir apparent, the younger guy who is being groomed to replace a vet. Those are the guys you draft. Obviously Dalton isn't old but he might not be here in 2015. So the team will probably draft a QB as well as use Campbell as the starter if Dalton gets hurt.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd round would be the highest I would go. Although a 3rd round guy should also be someone you can consider as maybe your future. 4th round is indefinitely just a guy I wan't as my backup, unless he proves me wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: