Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams Sign WR Kenny Britt (1y/1.4m)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
zn wrote:
The post you're looking for is in this thread, as I said. It's just a few posts back... The time signature ought to convey where. Page 4, 3rd paragraph from the bottom.

I see it now, that's my bad. Thanks for clarifying...

zn wrote:
And to be fair, JT came on radio again, and this time he directly said that he doesn't see Britt in the top 3 of Rams receivers right now, and that there is no "strong link", he thinks, between Britt and drafting any receiver high in the draft.

Pretty much what I've been conveying all along. The Britt signing shouldn't deter their draft plans at all. IF a WR is there at their pick they can't live without, they should be taking him...

Kenny Britt should have zero effect on that strategy, which JT seems to believe as well...

Thanks for sharing that...

I see Thomas as conveying an opinion (how could it be anything but?), and not a truth or a fact, and I don't agree with it. There's a lot here to account for....lots of moving pieces. To me it looks like this: they think they need something else at WR, or why bother signing Britt at all (and Britt would be all they could afford)...which makes it look like they have ruled out drafting WR high and are okay settling for Britt....they added what they needed to add.

It could also mean the opposite. It could also mean they are going to draft someone AND push Britt, which could mean losing up to 2 of their present in-house WRs.

I just have the feeling it means the former not the latter.

It could also mean absolutely nothing either way.

So I respect your opinion, I just don't share it, and have a different opinion. Only people who can read their minds, though, could say anything with complete certainty on this. In fact I don't know if there is any way for either of us to ever demonstrate our view is "right."

So we just differ on this.

That's cool, right? Cool

SAK11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:
I do think the Rams are more confident in their Receiving Core than most fans are. I think they're fine going in to the season with Austin-Bailey-Quick-Britt-Givens-Pettis. Just need them to take that next step.

I agree with this. 5 of the WRs have been drafted the last 3 years, 4 by this management group, and 2 were top 35 picks. Plus, I think most of the guys have plenty of room to grow (particularly Austin, Bailey and Quick) and their flashes of potential would leave Fisher and Snead willing to go with this group heading into next year banking on atleast a few of them taking steps forward. So while signing Britt doesn't mean they can't take a WR high next year, it may mean they've decided they don't need to.
I think it's more likely they take a WR in round 3-5 as a BPA pick than Watkins in the top 5. And I'd prefer it that way.
zn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAK11 wrote:
holt_bruce81 wrote:
I do think the Rams are more confident in their Receiving Core than most fans are. I think they're fine going in to the season with Austin-Bailey-Quick-Britt-Givens-Pettis. Just need them to take that next step.

I agree with this. 5 of the WRs have been drafted the last 3 years, 4 by this management group, and 2 were top 35 picks. Plus, I think most of the guys have plenty of room to grow (particularly Austin, Bailey and Quick) and their flashes of potential would leave Fisher and Snead willing to go with this group heading into next year banking on atleast a few of them taking steps forward. So while signing Britt doesn't mean they can't take a WR high next year, it may mean they've decided they don't need to.
I think it's more likely they take a WR in round 3-5 as a BPA pick than Watkins in the top 5. And I'd prefer it that way.

I have pretty big misgivings about the Rams WRs. Bailey has some promise--we saw it. But until we see him take over the league, it's legit to wonder how far that will go. He's good--HOW good? Austin is a combined yards weapon type who will be used at WR, but in that sense isn't really a full-fledged, every down WR. Beyond that, everyone else has been shakey and may be role players at best.

It's actually common for teams who have or have had a strong WR corps to draft them high--rounds 1 and 2--for several years. So for example Green Bay took Jennings when they had Driver, they took Nelson when they had Jennings, and they took Cobb when they had Nelson. WR development after round 1 is so iffy, that you pretty much have to do it like that, or pay big bucks for a free agent. In fact GB took 11 WRs from 2005-2013, including 4 2nd rounders. (I start with 2005 cause that's when their present GM came in.) Of course they could afford to keep trying 2nd rounders (as opposed to 1st rounders) because they began with Driver in the first place.

I would not complain at all about a Watkins pick at 2. He's a much stronger bet than anyone else the Rams have, and taking WRs in lower rounds forever with the same middling results will not do much for this offense.

SAK11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zn wrote:
SAK11 wrote:
holt_bruce81 wrote:

I have pretty big misgivings about the Rams WRs. Bailey has some promise--we saw it. But until we see him take over the league, it's legit to wonder how far that will go. He's good--HOW good? Austin is a combined yards weapon type who will be used at WR, but in that sense isn't really a full-fledged, every down WR. Beyond that, everyone else has been shakey and may be role players at best.

It's actually common for teams who have or have had a strong WR corps to draft them high--rounds 1 and 2--for several years. So for example Green Bay took Jennings when they had Driver, they took Nelson when they had Jennings, and they took Cobb when they had Nelson. WR development after round 1 is so iffy, that you pretty much have to do it like that, or pay big bucks for a free agent. In fact GB took 11 WRs from 2005-2013, including 4 2nd rounders. (I start with 2005 cause that's when their present GM came in.) Of course they could afford to keep trying 2nd rounders (as opposed to 1st rounders) because they began with Driver in the first place.

I would not complain at all about a Watkins pick at 2. He's a much stronger bet than anyone else the Rams have, and taking WRs in lower rounds forever with the same middling results will not do much for this offense.

I get that this group is far from being great (they're not even at the 'good' level yet) but I like some of the young players and the different skill sets that they bring. This is a big year for them. My argument was that Rams management believed in the group. With all the picks invested at WR the last few years and all the other talented players not named Watkins at the top of this draft, I would guess that unless the Rams were completely in love with Watkins, they'll go a different way. And I don't believe them to be completely in love. The Packers drafting ways are good for them, but that doesn't mean every team has to do the same. The Rams have drafted 9 WRs in the first 4 rounds since 2008. SF and SEA have drafted just 3 and 4 in that same time, focusing more on other areas like the defensive side of the ball, and it's worked out just fine for them. The Rams offensive game-plan resembles those teams more than it does the Packers.

Management believes they have a TE combo that can combine for 1000 yards and 10 TDs, Givens and Austin as speed guys that can stretch the field and have big play ability, Pettis and Britt as taller options who have both shown pretty good red zone abilities, and Quick and Bailey as the young, developing WRs who the team expects to take steps forward this year.

Again, I guess this argument all depends on how you view Watkins. I'd like to take him at 13, but at 2nd overall, or anywhere in the top 5 seems too high for me. With such a deep WR class, I'd rather take the better players early and if there's a WR they love in rounds 3-5, take him then.
zn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAK11 wrote:

Again, I guess this argument all depends on how you view Watkins. I'd like to take him at 13, but at 2nd overall, or anywhere in the top 5 seems too high for me. With such a deep WR class, I'd rather take the better players early and if there's a WR they love in rounds 3-5, take him then.

I think he's a very good prospect and promises to be a good player and he absolutely will not make it out of the top 5. I do know that different people see Watkins differently...and in the middle of all that wrangling and discussion, I still think he would be a good pick at #2.

Doesn't matter to me if the Rams believed in the WRs they drafted before...everyone believes in who they draft at first but then not every draft pick works out. In fact, the odds of WRs taken after round 1 working out are really bad. All I know is, Bailey has shown something...Quick and Givens haven't shown near the same amount Bailey has IMO, and so seem to me to be just role players.

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny Britt will be wearing #81
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:

Az-Hakim 81?

or

Holt 81?
BamaRam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhicks11 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Az-Hakim 81?

or

Holt 81?

as long as it's not Mardy Gilyard #81
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full contract details released...

Jim Thomas wrote:
The basic contract is one year for $1.4 million. Of that total, $1 million comes in the form of base salary, with $500,000 of that base guaranteed. The other $400,000 comes as follows: $50,000 signing bonus, $100,000 workout bonus and $150,000 roster bonus if heís on the 53-man roster bonus for the first game of the regular season, plus up to $100,000 in game-day bonuses. (Britt gets $6,250 for every week heís on the 46-man game-day roster.

Britt can earn an additional $1.5 million based on a variety of incentives including receptions, receiving yards, and the team making the playoffs.

If the Rams release Britt before opening day, they could be out as little as $150,000 (the signing bonus and the workout bonus). Thatís because there is offset language in the guaranteed $500,000 of base salary. In other words, if Britt gets another job after being released, the Rams arenít on the hook for the $500,000.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-reid-is-released-from-jail/article_77ceda54-52e6-5c5d-8948-2e320feb07a3.html

IDOG_det on the sig...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: