Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Quarterbacks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
Vino wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
Was listening to a Bucky Brooks interview with AJ McCarron today, and i can definitely see why he has reportedly rubbed a lot of scouts the wrong way in interviews. Not that it's the first time i've noticed it, but it just really drove it home for me. He just doesn't seem like a "Gus guy" to me at all. Has a very "silver platters" sort of mentality that leaks out all over the place.

I'm sure there are others who will like that though. And he definitely has the experience handling media attention. I just think there's a fine line between confident and arrogant.

http://www.nfl.com/podcast/nfl-draft-tracker-podcast/1396046177000/detail

The McCarron bit starts at ~48minutes in.
How is he not a Gus guy? Sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder there and really wants to prove people wrong. Motivated. Loves the game. Sounds like a Gus guy to me. Rubbing scouts the wrong way because he calls them out on a lot of them not knowing how to evaluate QBs? Not a problem to me. I like him more after listening to that actually.

That's interesting in that two people can listen to the same thing and arrive at pretty opposite conclusions.

For me it's just a bunch of whining and arrogance. Talking about how important it is to him to not just be one of those guys who gets a payday and is content, then flips around and says he didn't go compete at the Senior Bowl because it might cost him a bunch of money that the people of Mobile wouldn't pay him back. Sure he has a chip on his shoulder, but most of it just comes off as him being content with where he's at as a QB because he's a "winner" and that's what really counts, putting the blame on others (scouts, people commenting on him, etc) for evaluating him wrong. And seemingly not all that interested in acknowledging weaknesses or mistakes and striving to improve them (a huge tenet of Gus' philosophy).

He says a lot of nice things, as you'd expect from someone used to being in the spotlight like that, but he doesn't really seem to back it up. Just my take obviously, but i don't like it. And it doesn't really feel like the attitude jives with everything i've heard Gus talking about.
It didn't sound to me like he was flatout denying he had things he could improve on, it seemed more like he was responding to the criticism that being a game manager is somehow a negative. He sees his style of play as old fashioned and what wins football games, even if others think it's unspectacular/boring. I just see it as him defending himself and the type of player he is. He can't change the way he plays, all he can do is justify it and explain why it can win football games.

Of course he's not flat out denying things. He has the media savvy that comes with being an Alabama QB. He's been coached in how to deal with the media and interviews, like most top prospects. It's about reading between the lines, the undertones of what they're saying. The inconsistencies, the slip ups. The details.

And in that, i just get an impression of this, "i deserve it" and "i know better than the people drafting me" complex. It's all subjective, but for me it comes across not as a "that's their opinion and i'm going to do everything in my power to prove them wrong", and more as a "they're wrong and i'm right because #winning, PS Kiss My Ring".

It's just something i've noticed with McCarron that really aligns with some of the rumblings from "insiders" and "scouts" that seems to bear a lot of truth from everything i've encountered.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ McCarron would be the one pick that would make me want Caldwell to turn in his building security card.
Vino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean that and every other pick other than Bridgewater?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:

Add Clowney and Mack, then yes Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said Mack was a future bust

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Vino wrote:

Sounds right. The Jaguars can know with 100% certainty that barring a move down they are guaranteed Bridgewater, Mack, or Clowney. No real way to justify anyone else at #3.
IAJags

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:

No. I am talking about how terrible AJ McCarron is.

I haven't been here in a while because it's baseball season so I haven't kept up. Is AJ your new obsession?
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JagsFanInNY wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Vino wrote:

Sounds right. The Jaguars can know with 100% certainty that barring a move down they are guaranteed Bridgewater, Mack, or Clowney. No real way to justify anyone else at #3.

Yea and yet i still dont feel confident we get one at 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAJags wrote:
Vino wrote:

No. I am talking about how terrible AJ McCarron is.

I haven't been here in a while because it's baseball season so I haven't kept up. Is AJ your new obsession?
You have a Bridgewater obsession Laughing

I've always stood by that my opinion on the third pick is fluid and I'd be okay with several different players. You on the other hand are completely set on Bridgewater and anyone else is pretty much worthless.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: