Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears Sign De La Puente
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
G08 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Good pickup who will be our starter next year. Probably a similar conversation that we had with Slauson except he's sitting out the year before we sign him to a long term deal.

Also how many people on here wanted us to sign him for $5mil-$7mil per season on a long term deal? Come on don't all of you come out of the woodwork at once.

I don't think anyone has him at that kind of money. What I remember was stuff in the neighborhood of 3/$10M or 4/$14M. Still though, getting him to keep the backup spot warm for a year to get a foot in for what he can probably expect to be a multi-year starting gig thereafter is a strong get by PE.

Absolutely, and it's such a tremendous job of thinking ahead. He brought our (I'm assuming) future center in a year early to learn the nuances of the offense and have a year in the OL room. It's outstanding, and then when you look at the veteran minimum deal it's brilliant.

I think so too. But, to play devil's advocate, why was he available for a minimum deal a month into FA? Is he effective only in a specific situation? (presumably Kromer can answer this) Starting caliber centers aren't exactly super easy to come by.

He couldn't find a home for a while early in his career until Kromer developed him. Maybe teams see those deficiencies in him and decide that it's not worth big-time money. Kromer always said you find what the player does best and teach him those techniques and then find a way to get that to work in concert with the rest of the offensive line. Contrast that approach with a coach like Mike Tice and you'll see why he wasn't highly coveted or able to land a big contract.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
ForteOz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
G08 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Good pickup who will be our starter next year. Probably a similar conversation that we had with Slauson except he's sitting out the year before we sign him to a long term deal.

Also how many people on here wanted us to sign him for $5mil-$7mil per season on a long term deal? Come on don't all of you come out of the woodwork at once.

I don't think anyone has him at that kind of money. What I remember was stuff in the neighborhood of 3/$10M or 4/$14M. Still though, getting him to keep the backup spot warm for a year to get a foot in for what he can probably expect to be a multi-year starting gig thereafter is a strong get by PE.

Absolutely, and it's such a tremendous job of thinking ahead. He brought our (I'm assuming) future center in a year early to learn the nuances of the offense and have a year in the OL room. It's outstanding, and then when you look at the veteran minimum deal it's brilliant.

I think so too. But, to play devil's advocate, why was he available for a minimum deal a month into FA? Is he effective only in a specific situation? (presumably Kromer can answer this) Starting caliber centers aren't exactly super easy to come by.

This is what I am wondering too.
I was pretty excited about the signing, but finding out it was a vet min deal had my 'too good to be true' alarm ringing.

Still a fantastic signing, and next to no risk for the Bears, but it is surprising he either couldn't find a better deal, or didn't want to.

I'd love to believe that he signed up on the word of the organization and Kromer, with some promise of a long term deal next year, but my understanding of the world of professional sports won't let me.

Plus, at 29 this dude doesn't have a lot of years to waste.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForteOz wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
G08 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:

I was pretty excited about the signing, but finding out it was a vet min deal had my 'too good to be true' alarm ringing.

Still a fantastic signing, and next to no risk for the Bears, but it is surprising he either couldn't find a better deal, or didn't want to.

I'd love to believe that he signed up on the word of the organization and Kromer, with some promise of a long term deal next year, but my understanding of the world of professional sports won't let me.

He's 29, going on 26. He does not have a ton of mileage on him AND he has the maturity and insight to soak up all that Kromer and Garza will share.

Any time you can have a starting caliber backup....that can never be a bad thing. Take Eben Britton, as another example. He was said to be a terrible starter, but he has served us well for very little investment.

We still have Boggs and if they do not feel that is enough depth/competition, they can draft a rookie or UDFA. We have more depth and options than we had before we acquired him, even if he proves not to be a world beater.

I find it quite curious that his production sagged after Kromer came to Chicago. That tells me that Kromer knows how to capitalize on his strengths and minimize his limitations.
CBears019

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's to say that he wasn't brought in to compete with Garza? Garza just turned 35, so he's bound to decline soon. And when OL that age decline, it usually happens pretty fast. I think this move is preparing for a decline in Garza's play and that DLP could be our starter at some point this year. Who knows, maybe even opening day.

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
Who's to say that he wasn't brought in to compete with Garza? Garza just turned 35, so he's bound to decline soon. And when OL that age decline, it usually happens pretty fast. I think this move is preparing for a decline in Garza's play and that DLP could be our starter at some point this year. Who knows, maybe even opening day.

Exactly...like every position should be an open battle would get the best out of both.
CBears019

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:

Exactly...like every position should be an open battle would get the best out of both.

Yup. Garza has been real solid for us for many years, but if DLP offers something more, they gotta put him in the lineup.

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Bfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So correct me if I am wrong but since its a one year vet minimum deal isn't it more like Josh McCown then Jermon Bushrod? We can't sign him unilt the start of free agency next year.
ForteOz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
ForteOz wrote:

He's 29, going on 26. He does not have a ton of mileage on him AND he has the maturity and insight to soak up all that Kromer and Garza will share.

Any time you can have a starting caliber backup....that can never be a bad thing. Take Eben Britton, as another example. He was said to be a terrible starter, but he has served us well for very little investment.

We still have Boggs and if they do not feel that is enough depth/competition, they can draft a rookie or UDFA. We have more depth and options than we had before we acquired him, even if he proves not to be a world beater.

I find it quite curious that his production sagged after Kromer came to Chicago. That tells me that Kromer knows how to capitalize on his strengths and minimize his limitations.

I don't disagree with any of that, except perhaps the bolded, and like I said, it's a fantastic signing with nearly no risk to the Bears.

Saints fans are quick to denigrate him as 'average', and even if all we get is 'average', that is phenomenal value for a vet min contract. This makes up about 95% of the way I feel about this signing. Considering the contract, this is a slam dunk win for the Bears, and as a fan of the team, that is really all I care about.

The other 5% wonders why he took a vet min deal to be a backup at a time in his career where he should be looking for his last big payday, and where one bad injury could mean the end.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForteOz wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
ForteOz wrote:

I don't disagree with any of that, except perhaps the bolded, and like I said, it's a fantastic signing with nearly no risk to the Bears.

Saints fans are quick to denigrate him as 'average', and even if all we get is 'average', that is phenomenal value for a vet min contract. This makes up about 95% of the way I feel about this signing. Considering the contract, this is a slam dunk win for the Bears, and as a fan of the team, that is really all I care about.

The other 5% wonders why he took a vet min deal to be a backup at a time in his career where he should be looking for his last big payday, and where one bad injury could mean the end.

The bolded was a figure of speech. He has not had full time duties, with the exception of the last few years. Basically, consider him a guy who has essentially three years of game wear-and-tear. Couple that with the fact that lineman can play well into their thirties and he has plenty of longevity and his potential still may not have been fully tapped.
ForteOz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
ForteOz wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
ForteOz wrote:

The bolded was a figure of speech. He has not had full time duties, with the exception of the last few years. Basically, consider him a guy who has essentially three years of game wear-and-tear. Couple that with the fact that lineman can play well into their thirties and he has plenty of longevity and his potential still may not have been fully tapped.

I wasn't taking it literally, but regardless of whether you are playing a lot of snaps or not, your body gets older, especially for big dudes like him. He may very well have 5 good years of football in him, but I wouldn't set expectations on getting his best years.

'Average' would be an upgrade to half of the starting centers out there, by definition, not to mention most if not all of the backups. Yet we were able to sign him for the least amount of money allowed? I'm having trouble making sense of the situation from his perspective, because he is taking on all of the risk.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bfan wrote:
So correct me if I am wrong but since its a one year vet minimum deal isn't it more like Josh McCown then Jermon Bushrod? We can't sign him unilt the start of free agency next year.

Has it been confirmed to be a vet minimum deal yet? All I saw was that it was confirmed to be a one-year deal. If it is indeed a vet minimum contract subject to the cap exception (meaning lower cap number than actual salary) then yes. If not then they're free to do as they like. Or, they could have done his deal like they did with Nate Collins where they made the contract for the vet minimum plus $1 to avoid that being an issue. They don't need the ~$200k in cap savings right now so that's a possibility too.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
G08

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he tested the market and wasn't hearing what he wanted. Apparently the Lions liked him as a backup as well. My best guess is that we asked him to come in for a year, Kromer can work with him while he sits in on all the lineman meetings and at the end of the year they can decide to extend him a long term contract or say goodbye.

It's win-win-win any way you dice it.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime a team can bring in a good player at any position for this low of a price shows that the organization is one where players want to come and play. Brian de la Puente is a pretty damn good center who will push Garza THIS year. Garza gets the benefit of the doubt from the common fan but the fact of the matter is that he's probably the worst lineman on that OL. It is strange that it's for this low of a price tag, but at the very worst, he's center depth for cheap.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Bfan wrote:

Has it been confirmed to be a vet minimum deal yet? All I saw was that it was confirmed to be a one-year deal. If it is indeed a vet minimum contract subject to the cap exception (meaning lower cap number than actual salary) then yes. If not then they're free to do as they like. Or, they could have done his deal like they did with Nate Collins where they made the contract for the vet minimum plus $1 to avoid that being an issue. They don't need the ~$200k in cap savings right now so that's a possibility too.

Quote:
@djdurkin: #bears structured brian de la puente's deal same as nate collins: $730,001. protects their rights to extend him in-season.

On it like white on rice. Cool

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@djdurkin: structure of the de la puente deal tells you how the #bears view him. gives indication that he's more than just a 1-year insurance policy

Would say the same about Collins, though many here would disagree on Collins.

GRRLacher wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: