Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

7 round Texans Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shep0507

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: 7 round Texans Mock Draft Reply with quote

This is my first attempt at a mock draft, and my dream draft, so be easy on me. This mock for the Texans assumes that Brennan Williams and David Quessenbery will be healthy and are capable of filling some spots on the line, including RT following my trade of Derek Newton. I used a mix of CBS Sports rankings/projections and a computer generated 7 round mock on Drafttek.com and my own scouting. Any thoughts are welcomed.

Round 1
1(1) Houston trades 2014 1-1, 4-1(101) and Derek Newton(OL) to Atlanta for 1-6 and 2-5(37) and 2015 1st round

1-6 Teddy Bridgewater QB, Louisville- The best QB in the draft in my opinion and this will easily be the most controversial pick in my mock. He is smart and capable of making all of the pre and post snap reads in O'Brien's system. He can make every throw with great accuracy with the exception of the deep ball, but I think that will come to him. He has great pocket presence and mobility inside the pocket. He can't scramble as well as Manziel, but can tuck the ball when needed.

Round 2
2-1(33)Stephen Tuitt DL Notre Dame- Good size/athleticism, fits Crennel's system and can play at DE or DT giving the D the ability to move him, JJ Watt and Jared Crick around the line.

2-5(37) Trade to 49ers for 2-29(60) and 3-13(77)

2-29(60)Shayne Skov ILB Stanford-This finally gives Houston a second ILB and depth if Cushing gets hurt again. He can run stop, cover and pass rush. If you like Brian Cushing, you will like Skov.

Round 3
3-1(65) Jack Mewhort OL Ohio State- Mewhort can play multiple positions along the offensive line, providing depth and a potential starter at various positions.

3-13(77) Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska- He is a big, physical CB. He can cover the Gronkowski/Jimmy Graham type TE's that are taking over the NFL. Has been compared to Brandon Browner.

Round 4
4-35(135 Comp)Daniel McCullers DT Tennesee- His sheer size demands double team, making him perfect for a 2 gap 3-4 system. Offenses have to account for him to keep his bulk off of the QB.

Round 5
5-1(141) Storm Johnson RB UCF- Replaces Ben Tate as RB2 and gives the offense a change of pace type back. Can also play special teams.

Round 6
6-1(177) Tom Savage QB Pittsburgh- Has the prototypical size and arm that O'Brien seems to like. Will be brought in to compete directly with Case Keenum and TJ Yates for the 3rd QB spot.

6-5(181 From Oakland) Michael Campanaro WR Wake Forest-Can fill the slot role that Wes Welker played in New England and O'Brien has already said he wants. He is tough, quick and has solid hands. Can also play on special teams.

6-35 (211 Comp) Preston Brown ILB Louisville- Is a solid defender, and would provide extra depth at ILB and gives special teams help. I noticed him while watching Louisville games for Teddy Bridgewater and I think he would be a steal here.

Round 7
7-1(216) Ross Cockrell CB Duke- Cockrell was a 4 year starter at Duke and played a huge role in the turn around. Good in man, zone and run support, but has a tendency to charge into tackles, causing him to be blocked out of the play. Would provide solid CB depth and could be a special teams player.

7-41(256 Comp) Johnathon Newsome OLB Ball State-Watching him at OLB/DE reminds me some of Bryan Braman. He can cover and pass rush, but he would most likely provide depth and be a special teams player. Started his college career at Ohio State, but transfered to Ball State after off field trouble involving marijuana.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we keep this in the draft thread?

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
48 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
shep0507

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean anything by it, I was just curious what other Texans fans thought of it. If I knew how, I would take the topic down.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to be gentle but I've got a few problems with this draft.

1. Your assumption that Brennan Williams will be able to fill an O-line position is very premature. After having read some medical opinions on another site, I think it's very unlikely that B. Williams ever plays a down for us. Hope I'm wrong on this opinion though.
2. The trade is realistic but IMO it's doubtful that Bridgewater is still available at #6 contrary to what all the so called expert draft writers believe.
3. At 3-13(77) I like the idea of a big CB but like Keith McGill much better, he's got more fluid hips, turns well and very athletic. Baptiste plays CB like a future Safety.
4. McCullers is to tall to play NT, his height will work against him as he'll have a very hard time keeping his pad level low. There's much more to NT than just being big. His height will cause him to lose leverage, and he's just not that good.

The rest isn't bad though I'd go for an OLB in the 2nd and fix 2 positions with 1 pick by moving Reed inside.
shep0507

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
I'll try to be gentle but I've got a few problems with this draft.

1. Your assumption that Brennan Williams will be able to fill an O-line position is very premature. After having read some medical opinions on another site, I think it's very unlikely that B. Williams ever plays a down for us. Hope I'm wrong on this opinion though.
2. The trade is realistic but IMO it's doubtful that Bridgewater is still available at #6 contrary to what all the so called expert draft writers believe.
3. At 3-13(77) I like the idea of a big CB but like Keith McGill much better, he's got more fluid hips, turns well and very athletic. Baptiste plays CB like a future Safety.
4. McCullers is to tall to play NT, his height will work against him as he'll have a very hard time keeping his pad level low. There's much more to NT than just being big. His height will cause him to lose leverage, and he's just not that good.

The rest isn't bad though I'd go for an OLB in the 2nd and fix 2 positions with 1 pick by moving Reed inside.

Thanks for the analysis. This was a dream mock for me, but honestly, I agree with some of your thoughts. I actually think that if they don't take Bridgewater at #1, they won't get him, but getting him at 6 and getting the extra picks would be almost as big as getting a draft pick for Schaub even when everyone knew he was going to be cut anyway. Hopefully Williams plays, but I hadn't seen anything saying he was anything but healthy.

As far as the Baptiste and McCullers, admittedly, I haven't spent as much time on NT or CB as some other positions and I'm limited in my scouting. They more represent the position that I would like to see addressed, either at those spots, or somewhere else in the draft.

Thanks again for you thoughts.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shep0507 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean anything by it, I was just curious what other Texans fans thought of it. If I knew how, I would take the topic down.

Just messing with ya. It just keeps the forum cleaner looking.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
48 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: