Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Draft breakdown: Defensive line prospects limited

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: 2014 Draft breakdown: Defensive line prospects limited Reply with quote

2014 NFL Draft position breakdown: Defensive line prospects limited
March 31, 2014 10:44 am ET

Pat Kirwan

One thing that rang loud and clear in speaking to NFL GMs at last week's owners meeting is this draft class' lack of quality depth along the defensive line. To appreciate what NFL decision makers face, we'll break down the D-line into positions. Among the six D-line positions that have to be secured in this draft, some are better (4-3, right defensive end) than others (nose tackle), especially when considering the talent drop-off after the first few rounds.

I'm estimating 10 defensive linemen will go in the first round, another six in the second and five in the third. The GMs I spoke to suggested teams in need here best fill those needs early or the pool dries up.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/24508804/nfl-draft-position-breakdown-defensive-line-prospects-limited

In the future please post an excerpt and a link. Thanks.

AZ

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.

Halfway point and you are correct.
G08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's predicting 25% of the first 64 picks will be defensive line?

Might want to draft that 3T at #14...

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.

IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's going to be so many tears if Emery doesn't take Donald, or if he's gone before the Bears pick.

Are some of you guys even thinking about a second/third/fourth option OTHER than, "well just trade down," or is it just "Donald or bust?"
HuskieBear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
There's going to be so many tears if Emery doesn't take Donald, or if he's gone before the Bears pick.

Are some of you guys even thinking about a second/third/fourth option OTHER than, "well just trade down," or is it just "Donald or bust?"

Other guys i would consider at 14 (assuming we stay put)

Jernigan- has enough burst to rush the passer, but his main strength is stopping the run, which we desperately need.
Pryor- reminds me a lot of bob sanders
HaHa- a fundamentally sound FS. he might not be the flashiest guy on the backend, but he doenst make a lot of mistakes, and can force turnovers
Gilbert- big, athletic CB, i think if he's on the board he becomes the pick. can force turnovers then score afterwards, he is also a good returner
Dennard- more technique sound Cb than gilbert, he might not blow you away with his athleticism, but the kid can play, great football instincts which you cant teach
Fuller- big physical Cb, which we could use next year when tillman is more than likely gone.
Mosley- if everyone else is gone, which is highly unlikely, i would hope this is the pick. he can sit and play ST for a year (as was supposed to happen with bostic/greene) then step in at MLB after williams leaves. leaves us with a young athletic (and hopefully ready) lb core

Guys i wouldnt take
Hageman- dont like his motor at all
ealy- not after all the DEs we signed, we have more pressing needs
ebron- i just dont think we can afford to take a 1st rd te
barr- if he did fall, i just dont see where he would play. regardless IF he could play like a von miller or bruce irvin, we have more pressing needs than a rushing Lb
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

I like Dominique Easley @51 probably more than I do Donald @ 14.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Easley would be a top 15 pick if he didn't already have two devastating knee injuries (non-contact ACL injury in each knee). Great talent - but is he going to recover? Stay healthy?

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Donald is the better prospect but in terms of value of selection I completely agree with you.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

I was never sold that Easley was worth a 2nd pre injury. I think he could be an option in the 3rd but even that's a stretch for me.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

No tears here. I would love to see Donald drafted before our pick but it won't happen. He will be there for us AND we will pass. I am indifferent either way and won't cry IF we take him either. My guess is he will be OK, no Tommie Harris but a decent starter. He won't be anywhere as dominating as in college imho.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

No tears here. I would love to see Donald drafted before our pick but it won't happen. He will be there for us AND we will pass. I am indifferent either way and won't cry IF we take him either. My guess is he will be OK, no Tommie Harris but a decent starter. He won't be anywhere as dominating as in college imho.
That's very definitive stance to take this far out. I would say there's about 0.1% knowledge being used here and 99.9% blind guessing.
G08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

That's very definitive stance to take this far out. I would say there's about 0.1% knowledge being used here and 99.9% blind guessing.

I notice a theme.

WindyCity wrote:

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Guessing? I'll have you know my Ouigee board is right on the money. Combined with my Mind Merger with Emery, I can't miss.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

I notice a theme.
I'm surrounded by skeptics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: