Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft - KVN Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Mock Draft - KVN Edition Reply with quote

Prior to the draft, we cut Joel Dressen.

*** The Denver Broncos trade #31 to the Minnesota Vikings for #40 & #108 ***
WHY FOR DEN? Elway sees the depth in this draft and decides to deal down.
WHY FOR MIN? They deal up to take a QB and already have an extra 4th rounder from the Harvin deal.

40. Kyle Van Noy LB/DE (BYU, Senior, 6'03, 243lbs, 4.71 40)
WHY? We address several needs with this pick. First off, KVN is excellent in coverage and can play as a Nickle LB. He takes Woodyards spot as our 2nd LB in the Nickle. During his tenure with BYU he made tons of plays behind the LOS but his coverage abilities may have been his most impressive trait. He is elite in zone coverage and can play acceptable short man coverage as well. Second off, he adds a pass rusher. We need to continue to build an attacking defense and even with the addition of Ware, we need to keep adding threats to get at the QB. KVN may not be a power rusher at the next level, but he has good finesse moves and is an excellent blitzer. He can line up and rush from DE, from OLB in a 3-4, as a SLB and blitz from the MIKE spot. He can just play all over. Finally, should Von mess up again and get suspended, not be ready due to the ACL or walk next summer due to a contract dispute, KVN is a perfect replacement as a base SLB in our 4-3. He isnt drafted as a replacement, but it is an option to keep in the back of our heads. Overall, KVN is a versatile playmaker that fills both our Nickel LB need and our need for additional pass rushers, who possesses the motor and football IQ that Fox, JRD and Elway seem to love.

2013 Stats - 13 games, 67 tackles (41 solo), 17 TFL, 4 Sacks, 2 INT, 7 PBU, 10 QB Hurries
2012 Stats - 13 games, 52 tackles (37 solo), 22 TFL, 13 Sacks, 2 INT, 5 PBU, 8 QB Hurries, 6 FF
2011 Stats - 13 games, 68 tackles (50 solo), 15 TFL, 6 Sacks, 3 INT, 3 PBU, 10 QB Hurries, 3 FF
2010 Stats - 13 games, 36 tackles (24 solo), 7.5 TFL, 2 Sacks, 2 PBU, 2 QB Hurries, 2 FF

63. Joel Bitonio LG/RT (Nevada, Senior, 6'04, 302lbs, 4.97 40)
WHY? We have a huge need at LG and Bitonio is a highly talented lineman with excellent athletic traits. He weighed only 302lbs at the combine but plays larger and with a mean streak, always trying to drive his matchup into the ground. He isn’t going to be put on skates like Beadles, but unlike some other OG prospects (Gabe Jackson, Cyril Richardson) he has the athleticism to pull from the LG spot, and gets up field really fast to make second level blocks. He is a plug and play interior guy who matches the mean streak that Elway has obviously shown to look for since the Seattle drumming. He has added value as a possible RT should Franklin get a LT esque deal next summer from a desperate team. He has the type of versatility that could even make him an option at OC.

95. Jaylen Watkins CB/S (Florida, Senior, 6’0, 194lbs, 4.41 40)
WHY? Our secondary needs to continue to be upgraded, especially the CB position. Watkins is a physical, speedy CB who fits our scheme and will push Kayvon for the #3 CB position. He shows the abilities to play inside and outside but projects best as a boundary CB in my eyes. His quick twitchy frame allows for excellent recovery speed and he understands how to use his hands in press coverage. He was used at nearly every DB spot during his tenure in Florida, and may have a future at FS should Rahim Moore walk after this season. He showed incremental improvement each season at Florida and will provide a bevy of overall DB depth due to his versatility. Has plus intangibles as well.

2013 – 12 games, 52 tackles (31 solo), 2 TFL, 7 PBU
2012 – 13 games, 39 tackles (26 solo), 1 TFL, 8 PBU, 3 INT
2011 – 13 games, 34 tackles (26 solo), 1 TFL, 5 PBU

108. Cody Latimer WR (Indiana, Junior, 6'02, 215lbs, 4.40 40 Pro Day)
WHY? I am a huge Latimer fan, and think he is a great #2 WR prospect. My favorite trait that he exhibits is his ability to catch the ball away from his body. He is just a natural ball 'plucker', and is on the opposite side of the spectrum of body catchers like Donte Moncrief and Brandon Coleman. He should show an excellent vertical jump and times well to win jump balls, and has elite timed speed. He is also a willing blocker. Despite his lack of big play abilities, he projects as a reliable chain mover who can block well and run a full route tree (Although he isnt a great deep threat). He will likely be a ST contributor as a rookie and when Welker leaves next season, we move Sanders into the Slot and hope that Latimer is ready for #2 duties.

2013 Stats - 12 games, 72 catches, 1,096 yards, 15.22 YPC, 9 TD
2012 Stats - 12 games, 51 catches, 805 yards, 15.78 YPC, 6 TD

131. Deandre Coleman DT (California, Senior, 6’05, 315lbs, 5.08 40)
WHY? Our DT position is very questionable moving forward outside of Sly. Knighton may bolt to the highest bidder, Vickerson is getting older and Unrein is meh. Coleman has immense physical talents and simply needs to be coached up. He fits the large bodied guys we prefer on the inside and has room to add another 15-20 pounds and still remain explosive. He was an underachiever at California but we have the coaching staff to get the most out of him. He ideally becomes a guy that can push the pocket and demand double teams.

2013 Stats – 12 games, 39 tackles (22 solo), 8.5 TFL, 2 Sacks, 1 PBU, 2 QB Hurries
2012 Stats – 12 games, 44 tackles (19 solo), 7.5 TFL, 2.5 Sacks, 1 PBU, 2 QB Hurries

171. Avery Williamson MIKE (Kentucky, Senior, 6'0, 246lbs, 4.66 40)
WHY? Despite taking KVN as our Nickle LB earlier in this draft, we still lack a 2 down MIKE. Williamson is a tank with surprising sideline to sideline speed. He always seems to be around the play and is a sure, powerful tackler who can stack and shed well. We have a history of Kentucky LB's working out, and hopefully Avery will be the next one. He is a smart player as well and could potentially be a 3 down guy if he improves his coverage. He isn’t going to be a Luke Kuchely type player but has the violent, run stuffing game that this Front Office is seemingly looking for at MIKE.

2013 Stats - 12 games, 102 tackles (46 solo), 4 TFL, 1 Sack, 3 QB Hurries
2012 Stats - 12 games, 135 tackles, (70 solo), 4.5 TFL, 3 Sacks, 1 QB Hurry, 1 INT, 3 PBU, 2 FF
2011 Stats - 12 games, 49 tackles (26 solo), 1.5 TFL, 1 INT, 1 FF

207. Russell Bodine OC/OG (North Carolina, Junior, 6'03, 301lbs, 5.18 40)
WHY? The interior OL has little depth and we must continue to add talent. Bodine is a squat, tough interior refrigerator who has the power to anchor but enough athleticism to make second level plays in the run game. He is still a developing talent who is coming out of school early and isnt starter ready but he provides great depth as he is experienced playing OC, LG and could even has the strength to line up at RG. He may be a riser come draft time due to his versatility and upside but as of right now he is being projected as a borderline top 200 player.

246. Ty Zimmerman FS/SS (Kansas State, Senior, 6’01, 202lbs, 4.65 40 EST)
WHY? We have some shaky Safety depth right now. Zimmerman is a gamer who may not possess excellent physical attributes but has an excellent feel for the game. He is versatile, showing the tackling abilities to play SS and deep coverage instincts to play FS. He is a great developmental talent at backup FS and is being overlooked this year IMO. He was productive for all 4 seasons, is a team leader, is durable, versatile, can be an emergency returner and will be a ST contributor.

2013 Stats – 11 games, 75 tackles (55 solo), 3 TFL, 3 INT, 4 PBU, 1 FF
2012 Stats – 11 games, 50 tackles (39 solo), 3 TFL, 5 INT, 2 PBU
2011 Stats – 13 games, 58 tackles (40 solo), 1 TFL, 2 INT, 5 PBU
2010 Stats – 13 games, 74 tackles (41 solo), 4 TFL, 3 INT, 3 PBU

UDFA

LaDarius Perkins RB (Mississippi State, Senior, 5’07, 195lbs, 4.46 40)
WHY? We need to add competition to our RB stable and Perkins is one of my favorites. He is a squat, explosive player who may project as a better NFL guy than College player. He is a capable receiver out of the backfield as well. We bring him in as a priority UDFA and allow him to compete with CJ Anderson and Hillman. Two of the three will make the team.

2013 Stats – 12 games, 137 carries, 542 yards, 3.9 YPC, 2 TD, 27 catches, 248 yards, 9.2 YPC, 3 TD
2012 Stats – 12 games, 205 carries, 1,024 yards, 5.0 YPC, 8 TD, 19 catches, 160 yards, 8.42 YPC, 2 TD
2011 Stats – 13 games, 87 carries, 422 yards, 4.85 YPC, 2 TD, 13 catches, 59 yards, 4.54 YPC, 2 TD

OFFENSE
QB – Peyton Manning / Brock Osweiler / Zac Dysert
RB – Montee Ball / CJ Anderson v Ronnie Hillman v LaDarius Perkins (2 of 3 Make Team)
FB – Virgil Green
WR1 – Deymarius Thomas / Andre Caldwell
WR2 – Emmanuel Sanders / Cody Latimer
SLOT – Wes Welker
TE – Julius Thomas / Jacob Tamme / Gerell Robinson
LT – Ryan Clady / Chris Clark
LG – Joel Bitonio / Russell Bodine
OC – Manny Ramirez / Will Montgomery
RG – Louis Vasquez
RT – Orlando Franklin / Vinston Painter

BASE DEFENSE
DE – Malik Jackson / Derek Wolfe / Quanterus Smith
DT – Sly Williams / Kevin Vickerson / Deandre Coleman
DT – Terrance Knighton / Mitch Unrein
DE – Demarcus Ware / (Kyle Van Noy)
SLB – Von Miller / Nate Irving / Lerentee McCree
MIKE – Avery Williamson / Kyle Van Noy
WLB – Danny Trevathan / Steve Johnson
CB1 – Aquib Talib / Kayvon Webster / Tony Carter
CB2 – Chris Harris / Jaylen Watkins
SS – TJ Ward / Duke Ihenacho / David Bruton
FS – Rahim Moore / Ty Zimmerman / (Jaylen Watkins)

NICKLE DEFENSE
DE – Von Miller / Quanterus Smith
DT – Malik Jackson / Derek Wolfe / Mitch Unrein
DT – Terrance Knighton / Sly Williams / Deandre Coleman
DE – Demarcus Ware / Lerentee McCray / (Kyle Van Noy)
LB – Kyle Van Noy / (Duke Ihenacho)
LB – Danny Trevathan / Steve Johnson
CB1 – Aquib Talib / Tony Carter
CB2 – Chris Harris
CB3 – Kayvon Webster v Jaylen Watkins
SS – TJ Ward / Duke Ihenacho
FS – Rahim Moore / Ty Zimmerman

3-4 DEFENSE
DE – Malik Jackson / Sly Williams / Mitch Unrein
NT – Terrance Knighton / Kevin Vickerson
DE – Derek Wolfe / Deandre Coleman
LB – Von Miller / Lerentee McCray
ILB – Avery Williamson / Nate Irving
ILB – Danny Trevathan / Steve Johnson / Kyle Van Noy
LB – Demarcus Ware / Kyle Van Noy
CB1 – Aquib Talib / Kayvon Webster / Tony Carter
CB2 – Chris Harris / Jaylen Watkins
SS – TJ Ward / Duke Ihenacho / David Bruton
FS – Rahim Moore / Ty Zimmerman / (Jaylen Watkins)
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all in on this draft.

Love KVN, I think he's going to be a star. He was being talked about as a Top 10 pick coming into this year after a great season. This was a down season but he's a helluva player.

If we land Bitonio, that'd be sick, unfortunately I'm not sure he'll be there, but he's a nice player on the line with some versatility.

I love Latimer, Coleman, and Williamson too so that's all okay in my book.

Thanks, Tzimisce
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good draft. Van Noy makes more sense for us than Shazier, because he could possibly play MLB like one or two of you in the Denver section have said. It seems that every mock I see has us taking Shazier though, for some reason.
germ-x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy with this draft. Kyle Van Noy is one of my favorite players in the draft. His versatility could be used in a lot of ways defensively.

The OL situation in Denver will be interesting. It's the area i am most looking forward to seeing how everything plays out. Right now there is no way of knowing where Denver is at with the unit. For all we know they may think they have a solid starting 5, whether it be with Franklin at LG and Clark at RT, or Ramirez at LG and Montgomery at OC. IIRC, when Montgomery was originally brought in for a visit Jeff Legwold reported it was to bring him in as the starting OC.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive comments.

I agree with everyone on KVN. He is a top 20 talent in this draft, and I would be suprised if he was not a Pro-Bowl caliber talent. He may not be a 4.50 timed speed guy but he doesnt take false steps in coverage, and that makes up for his 'pedestrian' 4.7 speed.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely well done and would be more than happy if this came true. I like the Williamson pick, continues the Kentucky LB legacy too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's always stealing my latimer and Williamson picks

Props to Joe_Is_The_Best
howie102

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingBishop wrote:

I'll be sure to go for players that no-one else has considered in future. No doubt you'll be getting a humble apology and a fruit basket soon.

Bitterness aside, I could be on board with this. Love the idea of picking Van, mitigates somewhat against any future indiscretions from Von.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingBishop wrote:

It's a mock draft. If people think they are fits, they're going to put them there. If that's the case, I'm laying claim to KVN since I've been talking about him longest. Oh, and Jeff Janis, don't use him either.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
KingBishop wrote:

It's a mock draft. If people think they are fits, they're going to put them there. If that's the case, I'm laying claim to KVN since I've been talking about him longest. Oh, and Jeff Janis, don't use him either.

Jordan Matthews, Jordan Tripp, David Yankey, and anyone Auburn are mine then. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ya thats it. I didnt watch tape on them or take into account their excellent Pro Day/Combine performances.

Quote:
I like the Williamson pick, continues the Kentucky LB legacy too!

He really is a underrated talent. He really flows to the ball well and has a rocked up, squat build w/ long arms that makes him a bit of a problem for O-Linemen trying to get their hands on him at the next level. He was by all accounts a team leader in Kentucky as well.

I dont think we find our 3 down LB in this draft, but Williamson is a pro-ready guy for those 2 run downs with enough natural athleticism to possibly be taught up into a 3 down guy.

Quote:

I was talking KVN up as a 3 down MIKE earlier this offseason Smile In reality he would be best used as I laid out in this draft but I have wanted him on this team for a while. Great minds think alike!

Your boy Janis put up killer speed #'s at the combine, but I think he is a late rounder. Doesnt play as big as his listed size, small hands, not tested against physical, top athletes at the CB spot. Still, guys like Janis and, say, La'Damian Washington ooze potential and would be excellent 5th-7th round picks IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: