Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why do we mock?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Why do we mock? Reply with quote

1) Shazier, LB, OSU
2) Roberson, CB, Florida
3) Skov, LB, Stanford
4) J. Matthews, WR, Vandy
5) Spencer Long, G, Nebraska
6) Bibbs, RB, CSU
7) James Morrison, ILB/OLB, Iowa

Last edited by jsthomp2007 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Why do we mock? Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
1) Shazier, LB, OSU
2) McGill, CB, The U
3) Skov, LB, Stanford
4) J. Matthews, WR, Vandy
5) Spencer Long, G, Nebraska
6) Bibbs, RB, CSU
7) J.C. Copeland, FB, LSU

This is my favourite mock yet.
KingBishop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthews in the fourth? Keith McGill is older for my liking in the 2nd. Skov and Shazier? Where is Shazier playing?

Props to Joe_Is_The_Best
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. I was kind of thinking why wouldn't Elway take a few linebackers. He has drafted multiple players at one position before. If I remember he has drafted multiple DL and TEs. I also thought if they are going to have 3-4 looks, any combination of: Skov, Shazier, Von, Ware, Trev, Johnson would be formidable. In the 4-3 looks, you can just have Skov and Shazier duke it out for that starting job.

Isn't the beauty of Shazier that he is versatile. I saw some video where he lined up in the middle and on the outside.
germ-x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be perfectly fine if this were to happen on draft day.

Also, KingBishop, under Elway the Broncos have drafted players early and in the middle of the draft that were older prospects. Sylvester Williams turned 25 in November of his rookie year. Orlando Franklin was 24 when he was selected, and Philip Blake was 25 when he was selected in the 4th round.

While you may lower a prospects value due to age, which is perfectly reasonable, Elway has shown over the past 3 years that they don't concern themselves a whole lot with age if it is a player or skill set they like.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Shazier pick.

McGill was my guy when he was a projected mid 4th rounder. The 2nd is too high IMO. He is older, but more important he is older and raw. The kid doesnt play physical and for his size, is totally lost in press man coverage.

I dont understand why we would draft Skov if we take Shazier. IMO Shazier would be our 1st pick only if we viewed him as a 3 down MIKE. That means we are spending our 3rd on a 2 down ILB (Who is also a better fit in a 3-4).

There is no way Jordan Matthews is avaliable in the late 4th.

Spencer Long is a nice pick in the 5th, as is Bibbs (Although I would rather just sign a few UDFA RB's and let them all battle it out, alot of talented RBs will go undrafted). Dont see the need to draft a FB until Peyton is retired. We will never use him.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will concede to the McGill pick and take Roberson. I actually like Roberson a lot. I only took McGill, because he is an inch taller.

However, I am not sure if there is argument that Matthews will go sooner. This is a rather deep WR class, outside of Sammy Watkins, I could see a bevy of talented wideouts fall out of the 1st round. If it isn't Matthews in the 4th, it will be a wide receiver that could have had an argument for going earlier.

And, you know the 7th round full back...I guess you guys can tear into that one. But, there are pills for those who have those kinds of anxieties over a 7th round pick.

You see, this is the problem with Mock Drafts, is that people think they are going to land a good prospect on every player. The truth is that the Broncos would be doing really well if they landed 2-4 quality starters from any draft, unless you are picking in the top 10 (then it is inherently expected that those guys will be major contributing starters). So, if you drafted Shazier and Skov, your chances are better that one of those linebackers becomes a quality pro. If both of them do become starters or all pro starters, then the Broncos' linebacker corp. just became rather dominant if you want to mix in Trev, Von, and Ware, right? Ergo, my mock makes a lot of sense.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it, but a little unrealistic. Skov in the late 3rd? Matthews in the 4th? Skov should go earlier and Matthews is a borderline 1st to 2nd round guy.

Also, taking Skov in the 3rd after taking Shazier in the 1st seems a little unrealistic. Skov is a 2-down run-stopping MLB, with room to develop into a 3-down LB. Shazier is a 3-down WLB and would only play in the nickel. I dont see Elway taking a nickel-LB in the 1st.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get mocked up!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. (In reference to your thread topic)
Honestly I dont know.
Mock drafts have very little value. Most often than not they are completely off base- every single one of them.
We have no idea what trades will happen, what circumstances and situations will present themselves on draft day.

I dont mind exercises that are fun but in order for me to be interested there has to be some iota of reality- something which mock drafts offer little or nothing of.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: