Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Draft Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 84, 85, 86  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
ICB 45 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
So Im combing through random mock drafts on the various sites and I see Sports Illustrated has us taking Dee Ford at 29 and my initial reaction was "ew" then I go to a another mock on a different site and see Ford go to the Seahawks at 32 and think "good pick for them". Idk what Im thinking lol

In my next mock, I will likely have us taking Ford in the first. Biggest need and really the only viable first round candidate who will be available at our pick. He is a great player, I don't really get the hate.

I'm not sure if DE is a bigger need over interior OL. Wendell was one of the worst centers in the league this year and Mankins and Connolly were average at best. Ninkovich was at least solid

The starting interior OL isn't as talented as the starting DE's but there is at least 1 backup (Cannon) on the interior OL who is competent. The backup DE's are useless and as a result the starters got worn down. They absolutely have to find a #3 DE to rotate in and provide depth.

DE and LB have absolutely no depth right now and I expect that they hit those areas in the draft, low-cost trades or bargain bin veterans.

I would say Buchanan is a competent backup. I'd rather address the DL and LB depth in the later rounds of the draft and get a stud interior lineman to keep our Hall of Fame QB on his feet

Buchanan showed next to nothing last year and was benched midway through the season for the corpse of Andre Carter. There is absolutely no reason to think he's capable of stepping up if Jones or Ninkovich goes down.

As it is, they're more likely to find a quality interior OL in the mid/late portion of the draft than a competent DE/LB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
ICB 45 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
So Im combing through random mock drafts on the various sites and I see Sports Illustrated has us taking Dee Ford at 29 and my initial reaction was "ew" then I go to a another mock on a different site and see Ford go to the Seahawks at 32 and think "good pick for them". Idk what Im thinking lol

In my next mock, I will likely have us taking Ford in the first. Biggest need and really the only viable first round candidate who will be available at our pick. He is a great player, I don't really get the hate.

I'm not sure if DE is a bigger need over interior OL. Wendell was one of the worst centers in the league this year and Mankins and Connolly were average at best. Ninkovich was at least solid

Not in this draft. This draft is pretty weak at OG and C, so I think we would be better sufficed going for someone like Richburg early on. We could easily get someone like Kareem Martin in the 3rd if we wanted depth

The starting interior OL isn't as talented as the starting DE's but there is at least 1 backup (Cannon) on the interior OL who is competent. The backup DE's are useless and as a result the starters got worn down. They absolutely have to find a #3 DE to rotate in and provide depth.

DE and LB have absolutely no depth right now and I expect that they hit those areas in the draft, low-cost trades or bargain bin veterans.

I would say Buchanan is a competent backup. I'd rather address the DL and LB depth in the later rounds of the draft and get a stud interior lineman to keep our Hall of Fame QB on his feet

Buchanan showed next to nothing last year and was benched midway through the season for the corpse of Andre Carter. There is absolutely no reason to think he's capable of stepping up if Jones or Ninkovich goes down.

As it is, they're more likely to find a quality interior OL in the mid/late portion of the draft than a competent DE/LB.
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter, did you do your "Explosiveness Index" scale this year? I always enjoy reading through that every year.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:
Richter, did you do your "Explosiveness Index" scale this year? I always enjoy reading through that every year.

It's in the pipeline. It was delayed because the NFL delayed the release of their testing data.
QcFootballFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the return game less a factor since they change the rule on kickoff a couple of years ago, the role of a returner should be viewed as a lesser role than before.

Also since the discussion about the draft got where posters on this thread think it should be a more depth draft than anything. Would it be a good idea in the late rounds to choose a RB or a WR with the ability to start day one as a returner? Last year Blount did a lot of kick return, surely it is a position of need, even if the position is not a critical one?
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QcFootballFan wrote:
With the return game less a factor since they change the rule on kickoff a couple of years ago, the role of a returner should be viewed as a lesser role than before.

Also since the discussion about the draft got where posters on this thread think it should be a more depth draft than anything. Would it be a good idea in the late rounds to choose a RB or a WR with the ability to start day one as a returner? Last year Blount did a lot of kick return, surely it is a position of need, even if the position is not a critical one?

The Pats have plenty of guys who can return kicks. I don't think it's something they're going to specifically look for.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
QcFootballFan wrote:

The Pats have plenty of guys who can return kicks. I don't think it's something they're going to specifically look for.

So you think Blount was the best of a pretty deep and successful returners?

But what I meant is, since many mock the Pat to take a WR or a RB in late rounds, when you need to choose said player, does his returning ability be a factor. As I said, I dont think its a critical need, but returning kickoff is still part of a game.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QcFootballFan wrote:

No, I didn't say that. He was the healthiest of the guys with KR ability. Amendola, Edelman, Vereen, Boyce can all do it to some degree.

Quote:

But what I meant is, since many mock the Pat to take a WR or a RB in late rounds, when you need to choose said player, does his returning ability be a factor. As I said, I dont think its a critical need, but returning kickoff is still part of a game.

Once you get beyond the 2nd round, every player drafted (outside of QB and OL) needs to have situational and/or special teams value. So I would expect that any WR, RB or DB they select has some degree of special teams ability, whether it's returning kicks or covering them. I don't think they're going to seek out a guy to fill that role. If one falls to them and is a good value? Maybe they pull the trigger in the 6th round.

I think Boyce is the guy if he's healthy and can make the team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
QcFootballFan wrote:

No, I didn't say that. He was the healthiest of the guys with KR ability. Amendola, Edelman, Vereen, Boyce can all do it to some degree.

Quote:

Once you get beyond the 2nd round, every player drafted (outside of QB and OL) needs to have situational and/or special teams value. So I would expect that any WR, RB or DB they select has some degree of special teams ability, whether it's returning kicks or covering them. I don't think they're going to seek out a guy to fill that role. If one falls to them and is a good value? Maybe they pull the trigger in the 6th round.

I think Boyce is the guy if he's healthy and can make the team.

Make sense, thanks
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats meeting with Manziel tomorrow per RapSheet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

April fools? Is he anticipating a huge trade up?

Might be a dumb question, but I wonder if BB meets with guys he feels he might possibly be interested in 4 - 5 years down the line.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

April fools? Is he anticipating a huge trade up?

Might be a dumb question, but I wonder if BB meets with guys he feels he might possibly be interested in 4 - 5 years down the line.

Well, there's a chance Manziel slides. And it's been reported (numerous times) that Belichick likes to meet with guys to gauge the value of a trade if that guy's on the board and also for scouting purposes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

Teddy Bridgewater too...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-draft--johnny-manziel-will-meet-with-new-england-patriots--per-reports-031300240.html
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you all feel about high upside players with character concerns after the Hernandez situation? How do you all think the Patriots' management feels?

I was reading an article about the Patriots spending a late-round selection on the immensely-talented-yet-troubled Colt Lyerla (Oregon TE). Off-the-field issues have marred his profile, and he may be a sixth rounder at this point. From a talent standpoint, however, he's probably a top five TE in the draft. Of course, Mark Harrison is coming back, and there are other options earlier on like ASJ and Troy Niklas, but the question is more about the Patriots' overall strategy rather than their need at the TE position.

How much of a factor will character concerns play this year in straying from potential stars like Lyerla or Ra'Shede Hageman?

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
Patsfan01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If a talent like Manziel falls in the draft, tough to pass up on him. I agree with what you said too, I definitely could see one of the top 3 QB's falling a bit. We've seen this a lot the past decade.

Wouldn't put much into this though. We did bring in Tebow for a private workout too.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 55 of 86

Jump to: