Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Interesting trade idea - Manny Lawson, Sam Baker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tk3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Interesting trade idea - Manny Lawson, Sam Baker Reply with quote

via ESPN

Quote:
Buffalo Bills trade linebacker Manny Lawson to the Atlanta Falcons for offensive tackle Sam Baker

Why it works for Buffalo: Under defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, the Bills will look to utilize their outside linebackers in space. GM Doug Whaley has anointed Lawson as a "hybrid player" this offseason, but that also means he may not have a natural position in this scheme. With Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes as edge players, Buffalo has some wiggle room to deal Lawson. Baker, meanwhile, would give Buffalo an option to play opposite Cordy Glenn at either tackle spot. Head coach Doug Marrone is a talented offensive line tutor who could revitalize Baker's play after a down 2013. While Baker signed a lucrative contract last year, the bulk of the guaranteed money has been paid out, softening the financial blow for Buffalo. A retooled deal could also be brought to the table. Obviously, Baker's health is a consideration coming off a knee issue, but if the Bills could shore up the offensive tackle spot, the board would be wide open for them at pick No. 9 in the first round. As things stand now, they may feel some pressure to draft a tackle.

Why it works for Atlanta: The Falcons have an obvious need for pass-rushers, and while head coach Mike Smith recently declared that the team will not run a 3-4 defense, much of their personnel approach this offseason suggests that it will be. Lawson would give them a veteran rusher with good length who can set the edge, and the Falcons wouldn't have to reach at No. 6 overall if Khalil Mack is off the board (presuming that Jadeveon Clowney is long gone by then). The Falcons could then target one of the top offensive tackle prospects available in the draft, with Texas A&M's Jake Matthews as a possible option. He'd be an immediate and long-term starter at left tackle.

This isnt a rumor, just one man's thought on what could help a team, but it is worthy of discussion..

Could we find OL help in the trade market, and is giving up a player like Lawson worth it?

I tend to say I would take this deal.. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would trade Lawson for Baker right now with the emergence of Hughes and the signing of Keith Rivers. I'm always a fan of trading volume for need

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest problem I see is that Baker signed a nice looking contract not that long ago. Atlanta trades him, they take a $9.2 mil cap hit this year and we also inherit a 5 year $38 mil contract. I don't think he is worth that kind of money.

Adopt-A-Bills:
bertuzzi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take this deal and run
cdavls17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To big of a contract. I like that the guaranteed was mainly paid last year I would be open to this move only if a restructure was in place as well as the cutting of pears.

Bills have yet to cut pears which makes me think if marrone is still hoping he will have a better year

Thanks Max
Maxmw22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
To big of a contract. I like that the guaranteed was mainly paid last year I would be open to this move only if a restructure was in place as well as the cutting of pears.

Bills have yet to cut pears which makes me think if marrone is still hoping he will have a better year

Could have an open competition for RT and swing tackle between rookie, Hairston, and Pears, with the loser getting cut.

Adopt-A-Bills:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: