Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ranking the position Coaches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpastermack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Ranking the position Coaches Reply with quote

I think sometimes a position by position breakdown is more important than the head coach overall. There are just some coaches that tend to be able to make players play far above their talent level compared to other position coaches and some Coordinators tend to play to certain player strengths. For instance, I honestly think every player on our defensive line would be worse playing for another team, or at least would have been had they not gotten the coaching they have. This tells us a few things. It tells us those players are more easily replaceable than we tend to think they are. Not that they are all replaceable, but that they are not quite as talented as their raw statistics and such would lead you to believe. It also tells us where the team as a unit is compared to years past. We got a couple of new position coaches and a new OC. How much better can that really make this team, before we add a single player?

With that in mind, here is my rankings and what I think it means for our team going forward...

1. DE/DT - Kacy Rodgers is in my opinion the best Defensive line coach in the NFL. Everything he touches turns to Gold. I fully expect Soliai to take a step backwords this year now that he isn't here. And it really doesn't even matter what defensive front we use either. The guy just has the Midas touch. I have full faith in the improvement we will see from Jordan, and can't wait to see his progress. I have all the confidence in the world that Mitchell will be a nice addition. Part of me would absolutely love to see what Rodgers could do with a talent like Aaron Donald from Pitt, but at the same time, I think he can make magic out of mid round picks.

2. FS/SS - This has less to do with the position coach than it does with the DC. Coyle has a long history as a DB coach in Cincy to a DC in Miami of making safeties look like all stars. He took a bunch of other people's trash in Cincy and turned them into a very respectable safety group, which included Roy Williams, Reggie Nelson, and Gibril Wilson. Jones is a solid safety. I think he got overpaid because of one year and I think he overperformed given it had as much to do with his coach as his own abilities. The defense put him in position to be that good. This last year I think our Linebackers were so terrible that he was forced to do more things he doesn't excel at. If we can fix that by bringing in another LB to compete it will help free up Jones again. I also think if Louis Delmas can stay healthy, then he will be a major upgrade over Clemons. And I think the market for Clemons proved that.

3. Offensive Line - This was a major upgrade for us! I think this will be the most important upgrade we make on the offensive line. Benton was the O-line coach who turned people like Wade Smith into a stud. And used guys like him to create an O-line that could plug just about any RB behind and have him be successful. I'm excited to see what he can do with guys like Pouncey and Albert as he rebuilds that O-line.

4. TE - Dan Campbell is a guy I think makes TE's better. Certainly Fasano looked great under him, all things considered. Fasano is a below average talent in the NFL that Campbell had performing at an average level. Now we see what he has done with Clay, and it's huge. Clay was recently ranked the number 7 TE in the NFL. I'd still like to get him one other TE to play with but I have a lot of confidence in his ability to grow his own talent.

5. QB - This ranking could go higher. Lazor has started to get a rep as a QB whisperer. But I think more of his success last year with Foles was because of the system run by Chip Kelly than his own ability. The jury is still out, but I think Lazor tended to make QB's play better than their ability even in the past and working under Kelly for a year should only further his ability to help QB's going forward. Tannehill should see some significant growth this year. If it's not significant, then he isn't the right guy for this team.

Honorable Mention:

WR - O'Keefe is definitely better than most WR coaches. He doesn't turn everything into Gold, but the right players will do well under him.

LB - Mark Duffner is a new addition with a lot to prove. But word is he was the guy Philbin and Coyle wanted last year and they couldn't get him for some reason. So I'm hopefully he is an upgrade there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: