Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive Personnel vs Broncos Offense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glenearl18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Defensive Personnel vs Broncos Offense Reply with quote

Hey, I was looking for some insight on how opponents generally covered Broncos weapons. How often was the number 2 CB on Decker? How did teams cover, or attempt to cover Julius Thomas and Wes Welker? Not looking for exact splits or anything, just want some info from the fans.
bwall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since nobody else has fielded this I'll give it a go, though I am no means an expert...

I would say that it varies who covers which player, but generally teams try to put their best guy on D Thomas. This is not absolute, however, and I imagine D's have to pick a formation on the fly, leaving their CBs on whichever side of the field they are on to start the drive. As for Welker and Julius... I am really not sure what teams do. I imagine the nickel corner gets Welker and the best cover safety/linebacker tries to guard J Thomas. It really is a "pick your poison," and I think that teams do just that, deciding who to focus on.

It is also going to depend on the players you have to work with. Both Thomas and Decker are big guys (like 6'3 225+) and I would't put a 5'9 CB on either of them (or Julius Thomas).
ThePrimeTime12

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most defensive teams don't have specific CBs shadow a WR. They usually just have them stay on one side, even the Seahawks do this.

As for Decker, any decent CB that had man coverage on him would practically shut him down.

I feel like Denver under-utilized Welker, maybe it was because of how many weapons Peyton had but I don't think he has physically declined much from his last year in New England.

^^ Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: