Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wilfork stays with Patriots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naq wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
His age is when linemen are at their strongest, right around 30-32.

Confused

Just for kicks and grins, check out the ages of the winners of the World's Strongest Man Competition each year Shocked

Strength does not equal athletic prowess or durability.
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:
Naq wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:

Confused

Just for kicks and grins, check out the ages of the winners of the World's Strongest Man Competition each year Shocked

How does World's Strongest Man = best DT in the NFL?
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naq wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:

Confused

No offense guy, but I think most people are in their prime through their 20's. People just dont come aiive 10 years into their career
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
Naq wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:

Confused

I never said anything about being the best DT in football, and I made no such correlation. Wilfork's game is predicated more on size and strength than the ability to shoot gaps and get to the QB.

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
No offense guy, but I think most people are in their prime through their 20's. People just dont come aiive 10 years into their career

Most players, sure. Of course most players rely on speed, quickness and agility in their games. Not so with Wilfork's role. And I never said he would "come alive" 10 years into his career. My point in that statement was only to suggest that I don't think there will be a huge decline in his game post-injury. Sure I expect somewhat of a drop off, but not enough to warrant major concern for at least a couple years.
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:
BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
Naq wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:

Confused

I never said anything about being the best DT in football, and I made no such correlation. Wilfork's game is predicated more on size and strength than the ability to shoot gaps and get to the QB.

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:

Most players, sure. Of course most players rely on speed, quickness and agility in their games. Not so with Wilfork's role. And I never said he would "come alive" 10 years into his career. My point in that statement was only to suggest that I don't think there will be a huge decline in his game post-injury. Sure I expect somewhat of a drop off, but not enough to warrant major concern for at least a couple years.

I think that his torn Achilles is far more concerning than his age at this point. But the combination of the two creates a very slippery slope
Grachuus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
Naq wrote:
Grachuus wrote:
Medula Amendola wrote:
I'm curious to see the language of the re-do. If the 2 extra years are options, it doesn't seem like there was part of his salary converted to a signing bonus to spread the cap out, just base salary changed to incentives. I'm not 100% sure on the rules, but if the incentives are marked LTBE, I think the money for those gets automatically charged to the cap this year, and will come back next year as a credit if they're not reached. So I'm not sure how much salary cap room this will actually open up this year. But that's just speculation on my part without the details.

The way the cap is now LTBE being charged this year isn't much of a big deal if they get it back next.

Wait... am I seeing stuff... is that really Grachuus?

Been quite a while

Ya. Not much time to post any more. Work is intense.

If you really think about the way the cap roll forward works now basically since you can move extra money in year 1 to year 2 with just a pen stroke you could restructure a couple contracts to push money outwards (example signing bonuses) and so if you're being charged extra in the current year it would then reverse itself later if that makes sense.

The new way you can roll money forward with the cap has huge overall contract ramifications. Teams can implement incentives and the like with greater impact than in previous years.

This is not to say the prior cap wasn't able to be managed effectively. It's just much easier to accomplish now. Team can recoup otherwise lost funding much more easily so dead money risk decreases. Really any team should want as little dead money as possible so this is great.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
Naq wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:

Confused

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:

I think that his torn Achilles is far more concerning than his age at this point. But the combination of the two creates a very slippery slope

True, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the season on PUP until he gets his conditioning and lower body strength back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: