Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Allen: Phillip Thomas was going to start last year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Allen: Phillip Thomas was going to start last year Reply with quote

http://realredskins.com/2014/03/22/allen-thomas-was-going-to-start-at-safety-last-year/

Quote:
Allen talked about the safety position and the team’s 2013 fourth-round pick.

“Phillip Thomas, we had high hopes for him last year,” said Allen. “He was going to start for us and he ended up missing the year.”

This would explain the lack of urgency to lock up safeties in free agency. If they believe that have a starter in house in Thomas they could afford to be patient to fill in the second hole. They brought back Brandon Meriweather on a one-year contract earlier this week.

Let’s be clear here; at no point during OTAs, minicamp, or early training camp did any observers say that Thomas looked like a player who should have been working with the first unit. He didn’t look particularly bad; he looked like a rookie who was learning his way. Different players catch on at different rates so we have no way of knowing if could have started at some point.

Well this is certainly good news and explains why they haven't thrown a lot of $ at safety.

They must know he's healthy. They always know more about the players health than we do.

I hope he can start at SS this year. Can't wait!

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Allen: Phillip Thomas was going to start last year Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
http://realredskins.com/2014/03/22/allen-thomas-was-going-to-start-at-safety-last-year/

Quote:
Allen talked about the safety position and the team’s 2013 fourth-round pick.

“Phillip Thomas, we had high hopes for him last year,” said Allen. “He was going to start for us and he ended up missing the year.”

This would explain the lack of urgency to lock up safeties in free agency. If they believe that have a starter in house in Thomas they could afford to be patient to fill in the second hole. They brought back Brandon Meriweather on a one-year contract earlier this week.

Let’s be clear here; at no point during OTAs, minicamp, or early training camp did any observers say that Thomas looked like a player who should have been working with the first unit. He didn’t look particularly bad; he looked like a rookie who was learning his way. Different players catch on at different rates so we have no way of knowing if could have started at some point.

Well this is certainly good news and explains why they haven't thrown a lot of $ at safety.

They must know he's healthy. They always know more about the players health than we do.

I hope he can start at SS this year. Can't wait!

Would be cool if he gets a full Offseason in addition to what he picked up watching last year
Brian23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't believe it. He was never high on the depth chart and its not as if he was in many pre-season games to change that.

I think this is just someone trying to fluff up the guys we drafted last year. There was no showing that Thomas was gonna do anything for us.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
I just don't believe it. He was never high on the depth chart and its not as if he was in many pre-season games to change that.

I think this is just someone trying to fluff up the guys we drafted last year. There was no showing that Thomas was gonna do anything for us.

I cannot remember where I read it, but Haslett has said in the past that the second most difficult position in his defense is strong safety (behind middle linebacker). It's why Doughty was going to start early on; he had the experience.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:

When I went to Redskins camp in Richmond last year Phillip Thomas was practicing with the first team defense, so he was at the top of the depth chart in training camp.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
Brian23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

When I went to Redskins camp in Richmond last year Phillip Thomas was practicing with the first team defense, so he was at the top of the depth chart in training camp.

Not the one they published. I'm sure he got reps but he was always last on that depth chart.

Rambo was the only one who ever held a starting role from the rookies.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Not the one they published. I'm sure he got reps but he was always last on that depth chart.

I really don't understand your strong stance against this. Obviously he was hurt so early in his rookie season that we don't know what we have in him. He was taking first team reps in practice so obviously they saw something there and were giving him a shot. Also didn't he play some with the first team in the preseason games? If he can step up it would be a big help, we need our mid round picks to start producing.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
Brian23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I really don't understand your strong stance against this. Obviously he was hurt so early in his rookie season that we don't know what we have in him. He was taking first team reps in practice so obviously they saw something there and were giving him a shot. Also didn't he play some with the first team in the preseason games? If he can step up it would be a big help, we need our mid round picks to start producing.

Its I don't remember him doing it. I remember Rambo getting the reps and Thomas working with the 2nd string, but Merriweather and Doughty were always ahead of him at the SS spot.

And I'm not against it, I'm just saying I think this is Allen trying to fluff him up a bit to explain why we didn't make big moves for safetys instead of just saying they wouldn't come in at the price we felt they were worth.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I cannot remember where I read it, but Haslett has said in the past that the second most difficult position in his defense is strong safety (behind middle linebacker). It's why Doughty was going to start early on; he had the experience.
Probably because they're asked to do so much

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Yes, and everyone knows the depth charts before the regular season starts the team posts are strictly cosmetic.

I'd believe Allen with what he's saying.

Meriweather should be better his second season removed from ACL surgery and then if Thomas can start, we could have a decent safety combo there.

Brian23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Yes, and everyone knows the depth charts before the regular season starts the team posts are strictly cosmetic.

Meriweather should be better his second season removed from ACL surgery and then if Thomas can start, we could have a decent safety combo there.

You said that and everyone's said that but Shanahan's depth charts had been pretty spot on the entire time. The only oddity was EJ Biggers. Besides that, we all thought that Devin Thomas was gonna get the nod as the number 2 guy when Shanny came in and he was just pushing him but putting him low on the depth chart and look how that turned out.

As I said, there's only Allen's word to back that up and the evidence speaks to the contrary.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

You said that and everyone's said that but Shanahan's depth charts had been pretty spot on the entire time. The only oddity was EJ Biggers. Besides that, we all thought that Devin Thomas was gonna get the nod as the number 2 guy when Shanny came in and he was just pushing him but putting him low on the depth chart and look how that turned out.

As I said, there's only Allen's word to back that up and the evidence speaks to the contrary.
Im sorry, but I believe Bruce Allen and his knowledge of what went on in the organization and which players were going to start over you.

There is all kind of examples of the depth chart in August not being the depth chart in September. Alfred Morris is a good example from 2012

Brian23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Im sorry, but I believe Bruce Allen and his knowledge of what went on in the organization and which players were going to start over you.

There is all kind of examples of the depth chart in August not being the depth chart in September. Alfred Morris is a good example from 2012

And I believe Bruce Allen's job is to sell the team as well as build it meaning he'll fluff up anyone he needs to to satiate the fans.

It also helps that he's doing it to someone you've stood on a table for before. Whether he says it or no, all indications are that it was not the case last year. And Alfred Morris was slowly working his way up the depth chart every game, it was evident by the last preseason game he was our best back.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

And I believe Bruce Allen's job is to sell the team as well as build it meaning he'll fluff up anyone he needs to to satiate the fans.

It also helps that he's doing it to someone you've stood on a table for before. Whether he says it or no, all indications are that it was not the case last year. And Alfred Morris was slowly working his way up the depth chart every game, it was evident by the last preseason game he was our best back.
Phillip Thomas was working his way up the depth chart every week in training camp also by what Bruce Allen was saying and how Jim Hasslet talked about him.

Thomas just unfortunately was lost for the season in the first week of the preseason...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/23136698/redskins-lose-rookie-fs-phillip-thomas-lisfranc-for-the-year

Quote:
The Washington Redskins were dealt a significant blow Tuesday with the news that rookie safety Phillip Thomas, a prospective starter, suffered a torn Lisfranc ligament in his foot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/13/lisfranc-injury-knocks-phillip-thomas-out-for-the-season/

Quote:
The Redskins started three members of their 2013 draft class in the secondary for their first preseason game of the year, but that won’t be happening again this week.

Thomas, a fourth-round pick in April, started alongside fellow rookie Bacarri Rambo against the Titans last weekend, but was forced out of the game after injuring his foot while making a tackle. The injury was originally described as a sprained foot, but further evaluation discovered the season-ending injury.

tyler735

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year at this time I had Phillip Thomas pegged as a 2nd round talent. I think he definitely could have started for us last season had he not been injured. I'm all for giving him a chance before drafting another safety high in the draft. I honestly think he is at a similar talent level compared with any safety in the draft this year. I really don't think a lot separates Pryor/HaHa from Phillip Thomas from a talent standpoint. This is generally viewed as a weak draft class at safety. Last season was viewed as a draft with tons of talent at Safety, so Thomas was kinda the odd man out and fell further than he would have in most other drafts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: