You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FFMD '14 Suggestions and Improvement Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: FFMD '14 Suggestions and Improvement Thread Reply with quote

As FFMD '14 comes to a close, we are interested in hearing your thoughts on how you feel this FFMD was ran. We're definitely interested in your suggestions for improvement, so please tell us what you liked or didn't like about this year's FFMD, along with any other feedback that you think might help serve this exercise in the future. Remember, FFMD was created not only as a way to improve traffic here at Football's Future but also to bring together different fanbases in a unique and fun event.

A big thanks as always to the people who volunteered their time to help run this year's FFMD, both mods and non-mods, as well as the GMs and active participants who make this both a fun and interesting experience each and every year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for me, my original position started out as a capologist assistant rapidly turned into the lead capologist. It was a little scary at first taking over for Scar but changing some of the formulas made it manageable, so hopefully I didnít screw it up too bad.

As for improvement, we need to make a lot of them.
ē Rules and Guidelines were not presented well, copy and paste from last year, and then making changes on the fly without ever updating the rules section was difficult to follow.

ē We lost our lead MOD and it just seemed like a scramble to get things back on track again. We recovered but it wasnít an organized effort.

ē I think that there needs to be a restructure of duties, if not a restructure just better communication with the back end workers.

ē Needed to be more information on the process of transactions and how those transactions affect the cap.

From a war room participates stance, the extensions, restructures, contract structure to include approval decisions, was flawed, too many errors that got overlooked from the delegates and confusion on some of the GMís in exactly how to structure the contracts . Iíve already voiced my opinion on a couple of the issues to the point where I thought I was going to be banned so all Iíll say on that is there needs to be a structure in place that allows each team the same luxuries as the other team.

Some of the things I liked were the various workbooks, with more prep time it could have been very simple to manage. Where I got hung up was the shark tank. Got a bit overloaded at the start of that and couldnít catch up in updating the shark tank with signings. Outside of that it wasnít difficult to manage.

I also think that just having the UDFA isnít enough to keep all 32 teams interested after the draft is over. We should look at ways to draw it out a bit with some shark tank talent rather than the bottom feeders.

Thanks IDOG_det
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis you were fantastic. Often offered help. I hope that the Mods will give you a lead role in future FFMD. You were invaluable.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
Well for me, my original position started out as a capologist assistant rapidly turned into the lead capologist. It was a little scary at first taking over for Scar but changing some of the formulas made it manageable, so hopefully I didnít screw it up too bad.

ē Rules and Guidelines were not presented well, copy and paste from last year, and then making changes on the fly without ever updating the rules section was difficult to follow.

ē We lost our lead MOD and it just seemed like a scramble to get things back on track again. We recovered but it wasnít an organized effort.

ē I think that there needs to be a restructure of duties, if not a restructure just better communication with the back end workers.

ē Needed to be more information on the process of transactions and how those transactions affect the cap.

From a war room participates stance, the extensions, restructures, contract structure to include approval decisions, was flawed, too many errors that got overlooked from the delegates and confusion on some of the GMís in exactly how to structure the contracts . Iíve already voiced my opinion on a couple of the issues to the point where I thought I was going to be banned so all Iíll say on that is there needs to be a structure in place that allows each team the same luxuries as the other team.

Some of the things I liked were the various workbooks, with more prep time it could have been very simple to manage. Where I got hung up was the shark tank. Got a bit overloaded at the start of that and couldnít catch up in updating the shark tank with signings. Outside of that it wasnít difficult to manage.

I also think that just having the UDFA isnít enough to keep all 32 teams interested after the draft is over. We should look at ways to draw it out a bit with some shark tank talent rather than the bottom feeders.
In response to your final point, I think the shark tank should be halted after a few days and then resumed after the draft. This would increase activity beyond the draft IMO.

Also, the schedule needs to be set up so it is finishing right at the beginning of real life free agency. Once real life free agency began there was a noticeable drop in participation.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
ny92jefferis you were fantastic. Often offered help. I hope that the Mods will give you a lead role in future FFMD. You were invaluable.

Thank you....really appreciate the compliments.

I'd love to play a similar role in next years, but Scar is the veteran and the last thing I want to do is step on any toes.

Thanks again for giving me the big head. I can barely lift my head off the desk now...haha.

Thanks IDOG_det
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:

In response to your final point, I think the shark tank should be halted after a few days and then resumed after the draft. This would increase activity beyond the draft IMO.

Also, the schedule needs to be set up so it is finishing right at the beginning of real life free agency. Once real life free agency began there was a noticeable drop in participation.

Early on I lost track but from the data I do have which is close to accurate there was roughly 265 shark tank players signed. This data only list 27 teams, so it could be higher or those other 5 teams just didn't sign anyone.

Anyway, that puts the figures at about 9.7 signings on average per team.

If we were to limit the number of shark tank players prior to the draft to say 5, there would still be some talent left in the free agency after the draft.

As for the decrease in activity once the free agency kicked up, you could be right however, I think it was more of the draft just being one of the slower events within the mock.

Thanks IDOG_det
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

We agree with our fellow Texans... bang up job, city slicker!
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really a need for there to be much action after the draft? Getting through all seven rounds is a two week marathon. I think it works well to have it be the last big event, with UDFA and the Shark Tank left over for people to make roster-filling moves at the end if they so choose.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
Is there really a need for there to be much action after the draft? Getting through all seven rounds is a two week marathon. I think it works well to have it be the last big event, with UDFA and the Shark Tank left over for people to make roster-filling moves at the end if they so choose.

Well the way I'm looking at it first is from a GM stance. I start out with getting my own players signed, then move to getting my starters, picking up backups and then the draft. If I take the stance of bpa with the bulk of my picks then I could have some holes to fill after the draft.

From a salary cap perspective, I'm looking at using June 1st money, now I know it isn't even close to June first but I wasn't a fan of including June 1st with the only ability to spend that money being on the draft selections. When you consider we used Top 51 and because I'm lazy at the moment that on average it cost 9 million to sign draft picks but in reality it really only cost about 2 - 3 million because of the top 51 design.

If we are going to include June 1st cuts we should allow that money to be used in other means than just signing draft picks.

Thats my take on it

Thanks IDOG_det
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be ideal if we have a member (doesn't have to be a mod) be responsible for keeping a master FA list in which it is updated by who is signed and where.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to what I just said, dhunt you mentioned shark tank and udfa which is basically all I'm saying and maybe all that needs to be done with that is a better tracking system in place so that everyone knows how is still available within the shark tank.

It doesn't necessarily have to be restricted or limited to the number of players we sign in the fa but just a better record keeper of who is signed.

Thanks IDOG_det
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
If we are going to include June 1st cuts we should allow that money to be used in other means than just signing draft picks.

If we roll with the continuing year to year FFMD plan, that would be allowed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
It would be ideal if we have a member (doesn't have to be a mod) be responsible for keeping a master FA list in which it is updated by who is signed and where.

Right. I rushed to get the roster sheets formatted to making it a little easier for me to manage but provided the time, I would of disposed of the first and last name and just went full name and added a column for a unique identification number for every single player within this mock. This would of allowed for easy cross reference, so as the shark tank players were signed, and providing the correct format was used when the GM posted the signing, it would of been no issue maintaining an accurate log of which free agents were signed and those still available.

This is an easy fix, just something I wasn't afforded the time to set up. I wanna say I had like two days to get everything transferred from Scar's setup to mine.

Thanks IDOG_det
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:

If we roll with the continuing year to year FFMD plan, that would be allowed.

I was under the assumption that was the direction we were headed in. However, I think there should be some type of official voting from everyone before we go running with this.

We should draw up some solid guidelines, workout all the kinks and then discuss along with a vote.

The last thing I want to do is have a decrease in attendance because we pushed something out that isn't a quality product.

Thanks IDOG_det
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know an issue that came up several times on my end was the how to's of constructing a valid contract.

This SAMPLE, while not perfect at least not right now will at least illustrate what we could add to the roster sheet to make the calculations for extensions, restructures, contract bidding a bit easier as the math is basically done for you.

edited: Each response is recorded in this spread sheet. It doesn't list names which is a good thing IMO but it does timestamp it along with the response.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuLWN_D0YTJMdEs5akFWSUtocGNaU0JKZXV6aVdqanc&usp=sharing

Thanks IDOG_det

Last edited by ny92jefferis on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: