Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grigson: Holmes and Howell to compete to start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Grigson: Holmes and Howell to compete to start Reply with quote

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Ryan-Grigson-Updates-Free-Agency-Injured-Colts/5e16b7fd-ff62-4252-a8a6-d2eb687e0767

Quote:
Grigson said the Colts are still evaluating all options at the safety position but called returner Delano Howell “no slouch” and thought he did a “heck of a job” in his three starts for LaRon Landry in 2013.

The Colts signed four-year center Phil Costa late last week and he is expected to compete for the starting center position with second-year center Khaled Holmes, among others.

Grigson said Holmes was drafted to be the Colts “center of the future” and is anxious to see the 2013 fourth-round pick have a healthy offseason.

He also said that you can never say you're done in free agency but they feel like they got everyone of the players they targeted

-He said that Irsay isn't a micro manager and has always left football decisions up to he and Chuck so Jim's time away isn't going to effect draft preparation.

Going back to the Colts re-signing of Sergio Brown, a lot of media people were talking him up as the replacement for Bethea and I was confused as to which Sergio Brown they saw to suggest he was a good candidate. I figured based on playing time and play overall that Howell would be the replacement if not a draft pick or FA.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
Colton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Grigson: Holmes and Howell to compete to start Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Ryan-Grigson-Updates-Free-Agency-Injured-Colts/5e16b7fd-ff62-4252-a8a6-d2eb687e0767

Quote:
Grigson said the Colts are still evaluating all options at the safety position but called returner Delano Howell “no slouch” and thought he did a “heck of a job” in his three starts for LaRon Landry in 2013.

The Colts signed four-year center Phil Costa late last week and he is expected to compete for the starting center position with second-year center Khaled Holmes, among others.

Grigson said Holmes was drafted to be the Colts “center of the future” and is anxious to see the 2013 fourth-round pick have a healthy offseason.

He also said that you can never say you're done in free agency but they feel like they got everyone of the players they targeted

-He said that Irsay isn't a micro manager and has always left football decisions up to he and Chuck so Jim's time away isn't going to effect draft preparation.

Going back to the Colts re-signing of Sergio Brown, a lot of media people were talking him up as the replacement for Bethea and I was confused as to which Sergio Brown they saw to suggest he was a good candidate. I figured based on playing time and play overall that Howell would be the replacement if not a draft pick or FA.

Brown came out and said he wanted to compete for the starting role. I definitely think Howell looked better back there, but you never know what an off season can do for a guy.

As for the center position, if we're in a position in the 2nd or 3rd round and decide not to draft one of the top 4 centers (Martin, Bodine, Richburg, Stork), I'd be pretty pissed to be honest unless we got some ridiculous steal at the pick.

Holmes played 12 snaps last year and couldn't beat out Satele or McGlynn for time. Really don't feel comfortable with a guy considered a a below average starter and a inexperienced sophomore 4th rounder battling it out to snap the ball to Andrew Luck.
tom cody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think we need to draft a centre this year, anything to protect Andrew Luck from getting hurt.
Nobody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The staff seems pretty confident in Holmes starting to me.. I think, much to the chagrin of many fans, we don't draft a center. As for safety they've made it clear we're going for one in the draft to compete with Howell and Brown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: