Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Armond Armstead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Armond Armstead Reply with quote

I think quite a few of us are forgetting that he even is still a part of this roster since we haven't heard anything about his mysterious infection injury since the beginning of last season, but I found this article this morning from the Boston Herald that says he'll be good to go by April 21st, which is when the offseason program starts.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/03/patriots_notebook_armond_armstead_may_be_in_line_to?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I could see him having a very real impact on our DL. Having him on the inside of our line with someone like DaQuan Jones with Siliga and Kelly behind for depth wouldn't be bad at all
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's playing against CFL players, but there is no denying his athleticism and pass rush ability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjbbph7O-g
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not counting on him for anything. He's played 1 year of football in the last 3 and is coming off a mystery illness. His college performance was uneven at best. Yes, he had 6 sacks in the CFL but what does that translate to in the NFL?

He has (had? Depending on how his illness affected his weight/strength) a nice combination of size, power and agility but that's pretty much all we can say for him. I view him the same as any mid-low draft pick who has little production but nice physical attributes - as long shot with intriguing upside.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I'm not counting on him for anything. He's played 1 year of football in the last 3 and is coming off a mystery illness. His college performance was uneven at best. Yes, he had 6 sacks in the CFL but what does that translate to in the NFL?

He has (had? Depending on how his illness affected his weight/strength) a nice combination of size, power and agility but that's pretty much all we can say for him. I view him the same as any mid-low draft pick who has little production but nice physical attributes - as long shot with intriguing upside.

I agree. He's such an unknown, anything he provides is just a bonus. I'd actually rather have someone with more upside (and no heart attack) on the back end of the roster though.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

I agree. He's such an unknown, anything he provides is just a bonus. I'd actually rather have someone with more upside (and no heart attack) on the back end of the roster though.

Given the circumstances around the heart attack, it doesn't worry me going forward.

My issue with Armstead is that I've watched his college games and he didn't really impress. All of the 'he would have been a 2nd round pick' stuff is both questionable and based on the assumption that he would have had an excellent combine/pro day. There's little reason- based on his college play - to think he warranted that high of a pick. Now, guys do go high based on measurables alone but most of the time (especially at a position like DT) it doesn't work out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Zolak talking about him earlier today, and he compared him to Carl Sodeberg from the Bruins, and unicorn.

Which kinda makes sense, we've heard so much about this guy but chances are he doesn't exist. I personally don't expect anything from him, and wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even make it to the regular season. Especially if we take a few DT's in the draft and there is heavy competition.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can expect an upgrade over Vellano and Chris Jones but nothing more.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I just know he will be Sapp reborn.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terbo559 wrote:
I think we can expect an upgrade over Vellano and Chris Jones but nothing more.

Can we? Jones was at least a decent pass rusher. There is no telling if Armstead will even see the field let alone be a decent anything.

Honestly, I wont pass judgement until I see him at TC (if he even practices)

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate wildcard.

Could be something special (highly unlikely), could be a solid but under achieving producer for us (40-60) or the never amounts to anything.

Im assuming the infection had something to do with his heart procedure unless he has some type of undisclosed injury from the CFL which is also very possible.

Issue is we haven't even seen him play against quality players. If he's healthy just him being on the field will be nice to see.

#wildcard

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:
Ultimate wildcard.

Could be something special (highly unlikely), could be a solid but under achieving producer for us (40-60) or the never amounts to anything.

Im assuming the infection had something to do with his heart procedure unless he has some type of undisclosed injury from the CFL which is also very possible.

Issue is we haven't even seen him play against quality players. If he's healthy just him being on the field will be nice to see.

#wildcard

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Pats#1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmacz008 wrote:
I heard Zolak talking about him earlier today, and he compared him to Carl Sodeberg from the Bruins, and unicorn.

Which kinda makes sense, we've heard so much about this guy but chances are he doesn't exist. I personally don't expect anything from him, and wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even make it to the regular season. Especially if we take a few DT's in the draft and there is heavy competition.

If he turns out to be even close for the Patriots what Soderberg is to the Bruisn I'll be very happy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: