Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How should the cardinals handle their future QB situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should the cardinals do?
Draft Mettenberger in the third round
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Draft Garoppolo in the third round
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Draft another QB late In the 2014 draft
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Trade up for one of the top 3 QB's in the 2014 draft
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Draft a QB in 2015
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Let Ryan Lindley be our future starter
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

JLW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think teams are getting smarter about reaching for QBs. Reaching for a guy top 10 and missing can set you back several years, and will probably end up costing a GM his job in the long run.

The only candidates to reach, in my opinion, are teams with GMs desperate to save their job. The closest there was to that last year was in Buffalo, although he ended up stepping down after the draft. Last year's class was a lot weaker, but most teams that needed QBs picked up stopgaps.

The Texans won't reach, Jacksonville won't reach (they've been on record multiple times saying reaching for a QB is something they won't do), Cleveland won't reach, Tampa won't reach. Oakland and Minnesota are wild cards. McKenzie may not have a job much longer the way it seems things are going, he could get desperate. You would think Minnesota would have learned from Ponder, but who knows. Minnesota also has a guy who won't be a complete trainwreck if they start him for a year.

Michael Vick is still floating around and he could be a stopgap, some teams apparently had interest in Schaub and Sanchez for whatever reason.

So I think the idea that Bortles is a lock for top 10 just because teams will reach for him isn't too sound. It's more likely he goes top 10 because some team sees him as the guy. That won't really look any different to us from the outside if/when it happens, but I think it means he's got a higher chance of falling.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But here's the thing->Bortles isn't a top 10 reach. I personally have him as my highest rated QB this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
But here's the thing->Bortles isn't a top 10 reach. I personally have him as my highest rated QB this year.

I think Bridgewater is quite easily. Bortles is alright, but he's fairly risky. People are picking apart Bridgewater like they do all QB's when their fairly obvious the best. Go watch his tape on last year, there's a reason why most teams wanted to lose games for him.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crw94 wrote:
LuckyNumber11 wrote:

I think Bridgewater is quite easily. Bortles is alright, but he's fairly risky. People are picking apart Bridgewater like they do all QB's when their fairly obvious the best. Go watch his tape on last year, there's a reason why most teams wanted to lose games for him.

Trust me I've studied both of these QBs a lot. I am convinced that if Bortles were in a major conference he would be as highly touted as Bridgewater if not more. I think Bortles is exactly like Andrew a Luck.I've felt that Bortles is better for a little while now

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:

That's a perfectly fine opinion. But do the QB needy teams above us agree?

Also, Bortles played in the same conference as Bridgewater, and even got a bigger bowl game this year. I'm not sure I buy that he'd be as highly touted as Bridgewater in another conference.

The Luck comparison isn't bad, they look very comparable on the field. Luck is actually a better athlete and was much more advanced coming out of college, though.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLW wrote:
LuckyNumber11 wrote:

That's a perfectly fine opinion. But do the QB needy teams above us agree?

Also, Bortles played in the same conference as Bridgewater, and even got a bigger bowl game this year. I'm not sure I buy that he'd be as highly touted as Bridgewater in another conference.

The Luck comparison isn't bad, they look very comparable on the field. Luck is actually a better athlete and was much more advanced coming out of college, though.

But also consider that Luck came out his senior year and Bortles has came out after his sophomore year. While some would say they that shouldn't even be considered when drafting (And I to an extent agree, but it still shows room for improvement/potential) it makes the comparison that much more interesting. And I'm too lazy to go back in the archives and watch Luck's sophomore year, so it's just interesting for a guy like me to think about.

As far as do other teams think the same, the rumor mill has said that Bill O'Brien may think the same. And remember (Not only with Bortles but the other teams) it only takes 1 team to fall in love with a prospect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually Bortles was a redshirt junior, but he's supposedly had some pretty inferior coaching.

The O'Brien rumors are just rumors. I don't really buy into them that much this time of year. Last year around this time Nassib was a lock to go to Buffalo and Barkley wouldn't get past the Cardinals.

It does only take one team, which is why I don't think it's likely he drops, but at the same time I don't think he's a 99% lock to go top ten like you do.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind trading for Glennon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to really think Bridgewater is going to be available at 20(or someone is going to trade up ahead of you), although i could see Arians passing on him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: