Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Montgomery released, Kory L to center
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thai, refresh my memory: what did I say a good team should do? Something about drafting a lineman every year (either side)? And using a high round pick every two to three years?

Eh what do I know?
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Thai, refresh my memory: what did I say a good team should do? Something about drafting a lineman every year (either side)? And using a high round pick every two to three years?

Eh what do I know?
High draft picks like Trent Williams, Jarvis Jenkins and Josh LeRibeus in 2010, 2011 & 2012?

We also drafted Selvish Capers & Erik Cook in 2010 (didn't work out, but we tried) Maurice Hurt in 2011, and Adam Gettis & Tom Compton in 2012.

2011 Chris Neild NT, picked up NT Chris Baker as a young unproven NT to develop in 2011.

So let's not act like the lines have been ignored in the draft from 2011-2013.

Let's not act like we don't already have 4 young players to develop into starters at RT, RG, C & LG who may develop enough to start one day next to Pro bowl LT Trent Williams.

Don't we want to know more about these players and their development before drafting several more young offensive lineman?

Now, defensive end is a different story because we only have Jarvis Jenkins and the totally unknown Doug Worthington as young DEs to develop, but the offensive line has four young players to develop which our Offensive line coach - Chris Forester - knows all about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:

Eh what do I know?
High draft picks like Trent Williams, Jarvis Jenkins and Josh LeRibeus in 2010, 2011 & 2012?

We also drafted Selvish Capers & Erik Cook in 2010 (didn't work out, but we tried) Maurice Hurt in 2011, and Adam Gettis & Tom Compton in 2012.

2011 Chris Neild NT, picked up NT Chris Baker as a young unproven NT to develop in 2011.

So let's not act like the lines have been ignored in the draft from 2011-2013.

After years of neglect, I was thrilled with this.

At the same time, over the past four years, we've invested a first (Trent Williams), a third (Josh LeRibeus), a fifth (Adam Gettis), a sixth (Tom Compton), and three sevenths (Selvish Capers, Maurice Hurt, and Eric Cook). So it's not like it was THAT big of an investment.

On the defensive line, we drafted Jarvis Jenkins (2nd), and Chris Neild (7th). So that's even thinner.

Quote:
Let's not act like we don't already have 4 young players to develop into starters at RT, RG, C & LG who may develop enough to start one day next to Pro bowl LT Trent Williams.

Don't we want to know more about these players and their development before drafting several more young offensive lineman?

Because the team thinks so highly of them that they signed a guy that the Browns' fans were happy to see go and are keeping a replacement-level player in Polumbus on the roster?

ROI on offensive line draft investment, outside Trent Williams:
Arrow Selvish Capers = 0 games
Arrow Eric Cook = 6 games, 2 starts (all in 2011)
Arrow Maurice Hurt = 21 games, 9 starts
Arrow Josh LeRibeus = 5 games, 0 starts (all in 2012)
Arrow Adam Gettis = 13 games, 0 starts (all in 2013)
Arrow Tom Compton = 15 games, 0 starts (all in 2013)

Maurice Hurt is the only guy we've had to have played in more than a single year. If he comes back healthy, maybe he can push Chester. Still, that's some pretty weak sauce.

Quote:
Now, defensive end is a different story because we only have Jarvis Jenkins and the totally unknown Doug Worthington as young DEs to develop, but the offensive line has four young players to develop which our Offensive line coach - Chris Forester - knows all about.

And the question I have is: have we seen any development from our young guns? Any at all? Yes, Tom Compton beat out Tony Pashos for last year's swing tackle. Spectacular. That's not saying a whole lot.

As for the defensive line, they think so highly of the guys we have that they went out and threw $10.5M guaranteed at a 32 year old.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what offensive lineman would you have drafted over the guys we drafted woz?

OL over Riley? Kerrigan? Jenkins? RG3? Hankerson? Reed? Amerson?

I'm just wondering where these magical OL are...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:

Eh what do I know?

Yup. You and I both subscribe to this apparently old-school notion on how to keep your team stocked.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
MKnight82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Woz wrote:

Eh what do I know?

Yup. You and I both subscribe to this apparently old-school notion on how to keep your team stocked.
I think it was Bill Parcells who said that 4.4 speed skill players are a dime a dozen in the NFL, but there only so many 300+ lb humans on the planet athletic enough to play at that level. It's simple supply and demand.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: