Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Everyone else is doing a mock so I'm doing one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Everyone else is doing a mock so I'm doing one Reply with quote

Throwing a mock out there - won't end up this way, but it's fun:

Round 1: Drop down 8 spots picking up Panther's #28, 3rd (#92), and 4th (#124) - reasoning = Carolina needs a top receiver and no stud available for us at #20. At #28 we select Jason Verrett, CB from TCU - sticks like a glove to the second receiver and makes a solid combo with PP on the other side and the honey badger as the nickel.

Round 2 (#52): Deone Bucannon SS Washington State - we opt to roll with Rashad Johnson and Tony Jefferson at FS and find our enforcer at SS in the 2nd. Receivers on crossing routes will know about him.

Round 3 (#84): Bruce Ellington WR South Carolina - Know we ended up with Ted Ginn Jr. - still love speed from a young guy, with a much bigger catch radius than his height indicates. Extra picks give us the opportunity to get more wealth at WR - and prepare for possible Fitz departure next year.

Round 3 (#92): CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa - BA gets his blocking first TE - plenty of power here, nothing that flashy

Round 4 (#116): Caraun Reid DE Princeton - Finally get a small-school guy - can thank Apollo for this one. Not ideal height but good burst - very smart - fits better in a 4-3, but we ask our DE's to rush in the new hybrid 3-4 (Dock, Calais).

Round 4 (#124): Christian Jones ILB FSU - Karlos is gone, Minter is next man up - would like to get another guy in there as depth and as a complement. Jones is very fluid - has capabilities to stay with guys in coverage, but needs to improve ball awareness. Production decent rushing the passer, but needs to improve tackling technique and ability to disengage blockers. Could come in on obvious passing downs to spell Minter.

Round 5 (#148): Seantrel Henderson OT Miami (the U) - Our large O-Line coaching staff gets to prove itself. Either Bobbie Massie or Henderson will eventually figure it out and make use of their raw abilities to lock down the RT position.

Round 6 (#180): Devon Kennard DE/OLB USC - Local kid - former Card's player's son. Decent production at SC and has some experience inside but projects as an OLB - showed some ability to drop in coverage at the shrine game, showed OK (not great) at the combine. Needs to stay healthy - torn ACL in high school, torn pectoral at SC.

Again this is just for fun - I have only reviewed other's notes on these guys, not watched any tape (have to watch tape and know what you're looking at if you want to do a real evaluation).
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would make me a very very happy man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't pick up any big names but they are all more or less quality depth players, I would be satisfied if this happened on draft day
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very solid, solid indeed, solid football players everywhere, which is what we need

Love the Jones FSU pick, but i am a FSU tragic.

Picks in rounds 5 & 6 are really good,, not sure if they will be in May but value

Only pick i am unsure about is Verrett at 28, he is a little small, would have liked a bigger CB, but that is nit picking.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the kind words - left this mock thinking the only couple of things we could have reasonably expected to do better in this scenario was get a sure fire explosive pass rusher and a solid depth guy at OG (although that can / has been done in free agency). However as a pass rusher from the DE position, I'm intrigued by Caraun Reid's potential - especially with the couple of sacks in the senior bowl - always a nice luxury to take a risk on a small school guy with up-side - worth it in the 4th.

I chose Verrett in the first despite the size because of how fast he is and how that can allow him to blanket the receiver. Granted he could have problems with big receivers, but as far as being able to blanket especially the speedier guys without the help of an elite free safety. Obviously though - could go another direction in the same position with a guy like Kyle Fuller.

Also, btw - in the trade mocked here we're getting less value for moving down 8 spots than what the trade value chart says we should get - but everyone knows this draft is deep. I can see that come up with the quality of guys available in the 3rd and 4th.
JLW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of people saying they would rate Verrett much higher, or that he would be a top 10 pick, or other things of the sort if he were just 2 inches taller, and I don't really get that mindset. At least not judging a cornerback just off of height like that.

One thing I wish were measured at the combine and made publicly available is standing reach. I don't care how high a CBs head is from the floor, what I care about is how high he can reach. It seems stupid to say, but some guys have longer necks and bigger heads than others. A 5'9" guy could potentially have a similar or greater standing reach than a 5'11" guy. Arm length is measured, but that's only part of the equation.

Verrett's arms aren't too long either, but they aren't as short as his height (2nd percentile among CBs in height, 20th percentile in arm length). And he's got a big vertical, 39", 82nd percentile among CBs. His total reach isn't so bad. So if the only reason people are dropping him is because they don't think he can contest jump balls just based on his height, I can't agree with that. And in addition to that, awareness, anticipation, and timing all play into playing that jump ball. He could be a steal at 28.

Everything looks nice, though. Only things I can question is if certain guys will still be available, or if we could maybe get someone a round later. I'm not sure we'd need to grab Ellington that early with the depth in this class at that position, but you never know. And I don't know if Fiedorowicz will still be available at pick 92, I can honestly see him being the 2nd TE off the board. I don't even want to try to predict where Henderson will be drafted, but there's a chance he's not there as well.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good value picks. Buchannon might be a tad high because I have to imagine he won't be close to the BPA at our 2nd round pick.

Love the Jason Verrett pick though. There's too much obsession with size. People seem to forget how guys like Asante Samuel, Cortland Finnegan, and Antoine Winfield played at a pro bowl level in this league. Recent guys like Verner, Grimes, and Tim Jennings are showing small CBs can still play too.
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solid

Re-Elect Joe Fitzgibbon class act for proper representation.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys - one thing you can say Verrett has in common with the other shorter successful corners is he's feisty - if he can just improve his ball awareness with his back to the LoS then I think he'll be fine despite the height - albeit that's one of the hardest things to learn as a corner.

I'll admit that I'm higher on Bucannon than most - but I'm not the highest - the scouts at Ourlads (Dan Shonka is the lead - been around forever, worked in NFL front offices), who are admittedly old-school - are high enough on him to mock him in the lower first round (mock at http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/). He's been out in no man's land = Pullman, so he's overlooked but has been a leader of the defense out there.

Also, I understand there's a good likelihood of Fiedorowicz not dropping that far - just went by the CBS projection there (round 3-4) - could swap Ellington and Fiedorowicz if there's no run on WR's up to that point - but Ellington looks like a potential difference maker, and some GM's may notice how his cousin dropped to us last year and was a stud (not as if it should make any difference - but if it even enters the brain then it's a factor). Edit - just wanted to add, I think of T.Y. Hilton when looking at Bruce Ellington - great complementary speed WR, both short but ran sub 4.4 40's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: