Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Andrew Hawkins signs contract with Browns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but think that there is way more to the Hawkins thing than we know. I get the Mike Brown is cheap theory, and his past has left him open to the potential criticism every time things like this happen. But the man is not stupid, as some of you here (and national media types...cough, cough, I'm looking at you Cole Harvey) seem to think.

Many things could be in play here.

Is Hawkins fully recovered from the injury and will regain his top speed and burst? Did he rush back too early and set himself back more (see Peter warrick for that one)??

Is Hawkins really worth #2 or #3 money? By the time that deal's money goes through, we will have Jones and Sanu contracts expiring.
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
I can't help but think that there is way more to the Hawkins thing than we know. I get the Mike Brown is cheap theory, and his past has left him open to the potential criticism every time things like this happen. But the man is not stupid, as some of you here (and national media types...cough, cough, I'm looking at you Cole Harvey) seem to think.

Is Hawkins fully recovered from the injury and will regain his top speed and burst? Did he rush back too early and set himself back more (see Peter warrick for that one)??

Is Hawkins really worth #2 or #3 money? By the time that deal's money goes through, we will have Jones and Sanu contracts expiring.

That's entirely possible i suppose. But he looked fine last year after coming back.

I think they are just planning on using Sanu a lot more in the slot. Plus they obviously like Sanzebacher a lot too. So when it came time to tender Hawkins they were looking at him as the 4th WR at best, and 6th or 7th target on the offense.

What makes it look funny is that they were willing to think about matching that contract, but weren't willing to pay another 740k to keep him for one more year.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Greg Little is a terrible football player. I don't know why you're fighting this LB.

I'm not, and I'm no fan of Little. I'm just suggesting our respective WR corps are a closer match-up than 'not being in the same zip-code'..........
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:

Agree 'INB', I made this point upstream. There may be more to the Hawk situation yet........
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
sparky151 wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
sparky151 wrote:
We have much better WR depth than Cleveland

Not sure I agree with that. Its much closer than we all think...........

Cleveland has nothing after Gordon. Greg Little is one of the worst starting WRs in the league. Davone Bess, their slot guy last year, has already been cut due to off-field issues.

AJ GREEN V JOSH GORDON
MARVIN JONES V (top draft pick this year ?)
MO SANU V GREG LITTLE
ANDREW HAWKINS V TRAVIS BENJAMIN
RYAN WHALEN V JORDAN COOPER
BRANDON TATE V TORI GURLEY
SANZENBACHER V CHARLES JOHNSON
COBI HAMILTON V CONNER VERNON

I know you can argue about who ranks with who, and who is 'better', but I maintain the WR rosters are closer than you suggest..........

Is their WR depth starting to look like it maybe in our zip-code yet ?

1, AJ GREEN V JOSH GORDON
2, MARVIN JONES V (top draft pick this year ? Watkins maybe ? )
3, MO SANU V GREG LITTLE
4, DANE SANZENBACHER (unsigned) V ANDREW HAWKINS
5. RYAN WHALEN V TRAVIS BENJAMIN
6. BRANDON TATE V JORDAN COOPER

Just suggesting our comparative WR rosters are closer than some think.......

hawk will prob be our three. im guessing we will get a top draft pick for our #2 either at 4 or 26. i could see us going aj green/andy dalton with this draft.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
hawk will prob be our three. im guessing we will get a top draft pick for our #2 either at 4 or 26. i could see us going aj green/andy dalton with this draft.

Agree with this.

I could see the Browns taking Watkins @ #4, and then trading #26+ back into #5 or #6 ahead of Tampa and Minny for their QB.

Either way, I'm looking forward to a much closer season in the AFCN this year. I just hope we can find a corner to help cover Gordon, Watkins, Hawk and Cameron !!!!
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:

Agree with this.

I could see the Browns taking Watkins @ #4, and then trading #26+ back into #5 or #6 ahead of Tampa and Minny for their QB.

Either way, I'm looking forward to a much closer season in the AFCN this year. I just hope we can find a corner to help cover Gordon, Watkins, Hawk and Cameron !!!!

With Lemur, Rey and Mays back, I'm not worried about the TE coverage. We need one more solid year of Jones and Newman to bridge to Kirkpatrick full time and whoever we draft in May. I need to see Hall on the field at 100%
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
What makes it look funny is that they were willing to think about matching that contract, but weren't willing to pay another 740k to keep him for one more year.

Read in one of Bill Parcells books that to be a good GM, you have to be a good poker player.

Sometimes you get your hand called. Guess we lost that particular hand.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:

Agree with this.

With Lemur, Rey and Mays back, I'm not worried about the TE coverage. We need one more solid year of Jones and Newman to bridge to Kirkpatrick full time and whoever we draft in May. I need to see Hall on the field at 100%

Don't you think that's a lot to expect ?

We haven't seen much of Lemur yet on the field, and expecting Leon at 100% ?..... I dunno.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: