Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans Release Owen Daniels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Texans Release Owen Daniels Reply with quote

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Texans released TE Owen Daniels.

I wish Owen the best. I think this is the right move and it clears over 4 million. McClain says this must mean they will resign Graham, but I hope he is wrong. Graham is not worth the anything more than couple mil a year.
Blaze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good move. Im sure BOB has watched the film and realized that he has more than capable replacements in Griffin and Graham when he is resigned.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
dsorc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have waited until we either re-signed Graham or signed some other TE. Now we have no starting TEs on the roster.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
I would have waited until we either re-signed Graham or signed some other TE. Now we have no starting TEs on the roster.

TY! Unless OD said there was no way he was restructuring that would be favorable to the team.

That being said, thanks for everything OD! Hopefully, you come back on a team friendly deal Wink
King Blonde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's terrible.... Daniels is more then average TE with good hands, he's stability maybe is the best among TE's in the NFL...

sorry.... really sorry
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Texans Release Owen Daniels Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Texans released TE Owen Daniels.

I wish Owen the best. I think this is the right move and it clears over 4 million. McClain says this must mean they will resign Graham, but I hope he is wrong. Graham is not worth the anything more than couple mil a year.

We re-signed him in FFMD, but it was really a way to open other money.

I think if we pay G2 anything over $2M per year, it will be a waste.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last of a draft class so talented that we couldn't afford to keep anyone lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish Daniels the best whereever he ends up, but the move was expected. Now resigning Graham is a must or we really going to be in trouble at TE.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Wish Daniels the best whereever he ends up, but the move was expected. Now resigning Graham is a must or we really going to be in trouble at TE.

I think we'll be in trouble at a lot of positions. This is going to have to be the biggest roster turnover in Texans history. I think we only have 2 DL under contract.. and we're super thin at LB too.

A report came out earlier that Daniels was willing to restructure. I think we should have exercised that option. To me, Daniels is equally responsible as anyone for digging this franchise out of the depths of the NFL, and he was still one of our best weapons.

Kub will probably sign him in Baltimore and he'll be awesome over there.

LORK88
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad move IMO. Nothing like having a great pass catching TE when you are a rookie. He would have provided that "security blanket" feeling for a young guy. Not in favor of this at all, wish we would have resigned him or something.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all saw this move coming. OD is a good player but he makes to much money, injury history, size limitations, and just getting older. There's younger, more talented, and cheaper players to be found in the draft, it's the nature of the business. O'Brien is going to make over the team to fit his scheme/ideas. I wish OD all the best, except when playing against the Texans, and hope that he gets on with another team.
Jachue Jones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean he'll no longer have weekly interviews on the 94.5?

But everyone in Hou saw this coming, best of luck OD, he sounds like a guy I'd have a few with.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A no brainer move IMO. To me, OD has always bordered on being "just a guy" and a product of Kubiak's dink and dunk system. Early on, OD had above average speed for a TE, but the TE position has evolved where 4.65 speed is quite ordinary and OD's injuries and age have certainly left him in the 4.7-4.8 range which is way to slow for a guy who was never much of a blocker and lacked red zone productivity. Honestly, I don't think he got enough "blame" for Schaub's problems last year as his lack of burst was quite evident in his inability to get separation on his standard 5-7 yard hook pattern and his tendency to sit back and wait for the ball vs. moving to go get it resulted in several of jumped routes. Every time he got hurt, his production was reasonably replaced by the likes of Joel Dreessen, James Casey, and Garrett Graham, so this is not a guy who was ever worth the 3 years/$15 million he got on his extension after his knee injury and certainly not his $6.25 cap value this year at 32 coming off another leg injury. I too like OD who had good hands and made the most of his abilities, but there was no reason to ride the downside of his career as we rebuild the offense and can save $4.5 by cutting him loose.

Garrett Graham has always been the younger, cheaper clone of OD and now he gets 3 years / $11.25 with only $4.5 guaranteed at 27 years old. I have little doubt that a big in-line blocking TE with red zone skills will be high on O'Brien's shopping list on draft day and if Austin Seferian-Jenkins slips to #32 I think he'd be our guy as he's a triple threat as a blocker/catcher/red zone threat. C.J. Fiedorowicz is the lower cost model in the 3rd or 4th, especially with O'Brien's interest in adding Iowa's Brian Ferentz to his staff (the guy behind the Gronk/Hernandez explosion). I can see Ferentz being tracked as an OC once O'Brien gets it installed and micromanages it a season or two.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Quint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
I think we all saw this move coming. OD is a good player but he makes to much money, injury history, size limitations, and just getting older. There's younger, more talented, and cheaper players to be found in the draft, it's the nature of the business. O'Brien is going to make over the team to fit his scheme/ideas. I wish OD all the best, except when playing against the Texans, and hope that he gets on with another team.

Exactly this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: