Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marvin Lewis Extended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Marvin Lewis Extended Reply with quote

1 year has been tacked on to Marv's deal.
sparky151

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's common to extend a coach so he isn't a lame duck but I don't think Marvin deserves an extension. He deserved to be fired after the playoff game but I guess Mike Brown was worried that if he finally won a playoff game, he'd then be a free agent.
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it matters. Coaches don't get guaranteed money like players. And it's not like he's going to take his services elsewhere like Michael Johnson did.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big deal and no shock....1 year says a lot to me

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely an extension to prevent Marv from becoming a lame duck imo. These kinds of extensions happen all the time. Itís actually kind of rare if they donít.

This pretty much screams that Marv has one more shot to win a playoff game, which I think he should.

I honestly believe the same goes for Andy as well.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Mike Brown really cares what bwe think (unless people like me stop buying tickets). The man is loyal to a fault and works well with Lewis. I'm ok with it.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the Bengals miss the playoffs next year, I expect Marvin to be fired and Hue Jackson get promoted.
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
Should the Bengals miss the playoffs next year, I expect Marvin to be fired and Hue Jackson get promoted.

Agreed.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh to be so young and impulsive.

Mike Brown is neither. If Lewis was ever on the hot seat, there's no way Brown would have let Zimmer leave. he's not going anywhere.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DatDudeKB3 wrote:
This is definitely an extension to prevent Marv from becoming a lame duck imo. These kinds of extensions happen all the time. Itís actually kind of rare if they donít.

This pretty much screams that Marv has one more shot to win a playoff game, which I think he should.

I honestly believe the same goes for Andy as well.

Not sure I agree with this analysis re:Lewis.

I doubt Lewis gets fired even if we don't make the post-season. Mike Brown has looked east and sees success over the years in Pittsburgh, and puts it down to continuity @ HC. I think Lewis is HC in Cincy as long as he wants to be.

The 'success' we've had over the past 3/4 seasons isn't 'success' by the measure of most NFL teams, but it sure is by Bengals historical standards.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction. Even IF they make the playoffs, IF they don't win a playoff game, he needs to be fired. You can't have a coach on your team who will tie Jim Mora for the biggest all time loser when it comes to the playoffs, and expect to get anywhere. If this team has any hopes to go futher, they need to cut there ties and move on. The Colts finally made some progress when they fired Mora. If the Bengals don't do the same to Marvin Lewis if this happens, they deserve everything that is coming to them.
LLcheesehead12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
Correction. Even IF they make the playoffs, IF they don't win a playoff game, he needs to be fired. You can't have a coach on your team who will tie Jim Mora for the biggest all time loser when it comes to the playoffs, and expect to get anywhere. If this team has any hopes to go futher, they need to cut there ties and move on. The Colts finally made some progress when they fired Mora. If the Bengals don't do the same to Marvin Lewis if this happens, they deserve everything that is coming to them.

I see someone beat me to the punch here with this. I just was thinking about this recently and was doing some research on other teams because I got a little curious to see if any coach had indeed been kept around a long time like Marvin with no playoff wins to show before. And you guessed it, Jim Mora Sr showed up.

Lookin at the guy's profile of when he was with the Saints, the situation he walked into and his overall numbers are almost identical to Lewis's including the post season records. Indeed Mora took a Saints team whose fans just a few years before were wearing bags on their heads, and actually introduced them to a winning culture. They stuck with the guy for 10 1/2 seasons, almost the exact same length that Lewis has been in Cincy. Guy had some tremendous winning seasons, but at the end of the day he realized he just wasn't advancing the team forward in the playoffs and they needed to move on, so he resigned. Think Lewis ought to consider doing the same for his team given a similar situation. Same thing happened again with the Colts, took a team that was a bottom feeder every year and made them competitive, and possibly may be responsible for Peyton Manning becoming a superstar, but no playoff wins again. Guy laid a solid foundation for his respective teams, and I think Lewis has done the same for Cincinnati, but the ceiling is where the ceiling is and we've seen it.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
I don't think Mike Brown really cares what bwe think (unless people like me stop buying tickets). The man is loyal to a fault and works well with Lewis. I'm ok with it.

This. Lewis is still the coach here next year even if we go 8-8.....
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLcheesehead12 wrote:
Same thing happened again with the Colts, took a team that was a bottom feeder every year and made them competitive, and possibly may be responsible for Peyton Manning becoming a superstar, but no playoff wins again. Guy laid a solid foundation for his respective teams, and I think Lewis has done the same for Cincinnati, but the ceiling is where the ceiling is and we've seen it.

They were only able to draft Manning because they has the worst record the previous year......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: