Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Free Agency Draft thoughts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Post Free Agency Draft thoughts Reply with quote

Now that most of the main signings for Free Agency have been done, we have a better idea of what are needs are going to be for the draft. I think we were able to fill a lot of areas of need in free agency, and it will allow us to take a BPA style approach in the draft instead of reaching on players.

We still may sign a few more guys such as A. Spencer, D. Penn, R. Clark, O. Daniels. If we can lock up a few of these guys I think we are going to be very well off heading into the draft as a lot of holes have been filled in FA.

Unless something unforeseen happens between now and the draft, this is my ideal Redskins mock draft:

Round 2
Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt

I'm sure many of you know that I am very high on Matthews. I've stated numerous times that I think he could be the best WR from this draft class. He has everything that is needed to be a great number 1 WR in the NFL. Because of the depth in this draft at WR, he might fall to us at 34. He has faced top notch competition in the SEC, and is very well developed as a route runner, so because of this it should for him to be able to make a good contribution as a rookie. We are currently lacking WR's with size on the roster, Matthews is 6'3 210lbs and will give us an added dimension on offense that we are currently lacking with our current players at the WR position.

Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfoPwGsNhco

Round 3
Weston Richburg C Colorado State

This guy has really seen his stock rise this past year. He has the potential to be a great starter in the NFL. Center typically isn't a very sought after position, so hopefully this guy will fall to us in the 3rd round. We are moving Kory L. from Guard to Center, but I don't have a ton of faith in him being a great Center. Gil Brandt spoke very highly of Richburg recently stating that he thinks Richburg can be the next Alex Mack. After watching the interior OL struggle last season, I feel that we must continue to add talent there. We signed Lauvao to play Guard for us, I'm slightly skeptical, but am willing to trust Gruden and the front office on this one. My ideal hope is that Leribeus comes ready to play this season and takes control of the other starting spot at Guard.

Round 4

Christian Jones ILB Florida State

Jones is a guy that would work well next to Perry Riley. One of Jones best attributes is his coverage ability, so this would allow Riley to work as the thumper, while Jones would play more of a coverage role at ILB if he was to start as a rookie. I can see Jones dropping to us at this spot in the 4th because of a little bit slower than expected 40 time at the combine. On the field he is a fluid athlete and plays faster than his time at the combine would have you believe, so him running slow could be a blessing for us to land him at this spot in the 4th round.

This offseason we did sign two ILB's Sharpton/Hayward, and we do have another young talented ILB coming back from injury in K. Robinson. By drafting Jones we will have plenty of depth at the position for years to come. Both K. Robinson and Jones excel in more of a coverage role, and Sharpton/Riley are better in a run stopping type of role. It would be great to have two run stoppers and two coverage guys at ILB in case we were to have an injury at the position this season.

Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y31TlzGfii4

Round 5

Antone Exum FS/CB Virginia Tech

Exum is a talented CB/FS that has had some injury issues. If Exum can return to form and stay healthy, he could be an absolute steal. He is versatile as he has played multiple spots on defense including CB/FS. Right now we need depth at CB, but also have a bit of a question mark at Free Safety. In some ways Exum resembles ex-Saints FS/CB Malcolm Jenkins. I think like Jenkins, Exum may be better suited for FS in the NFL. At FS he could be a very good coverage/centerfield type option for us.

Round 6

Dri Archer WR/RB/KR/PR Kent State

Archer is a gamebreaker that can be used in a variety of ways. He can line up as a WR, RB, and KR/PR. We are in desperate need of a quality return man. Archer has the speed to score from anywhere any time he touches the ball. I could see us using him in a role similar to that of Darren Sproles while he played for the Saints. Last season Jay Gruden had a rookie RB in Giovani Bernard who had over 50 receptions, so Gruden like to have RB's utilized in the passing game. Having a weapon like Archer would allow us to give him a few touches a game as a WR/RB. Getting a guy like Archer in the 6th round seems like a great value for what he can bring to the team. Even if we just used him as a return man he would likely be worth the roster spot.

Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-3JgIG9hhM

Also just a random tidbit that I noticed because of the media hype that was created with how fast Archer ran at the combine. Archer was clocked at a top speed of 23.7 MPH at the end of his 40 yard dash. RG3 was clocked at a top speed 24.6 MPH during his 40 yard dash at the combine. Not sure how accurate the timing methods are for how NFL Network gathers the MPH number, but it is crazy to think that our QB is that fast!

Round 7

Pat O'Donnell P Miami

O'Donnell is a very athletic punter that would be a great replacement for Sav Rocca. He most importantly has a strong leg, but also is very athletic, he was timed as fast as 4.53 in the 40 at the combine, did 23 reps on the bench, and is a solid 220lbs, so he could potentially make some touchdown saving tackles for us. Another huge bonus with O'Donnell is that he has handled kickoffs in college, so he might be able to take over that role from Forbath who doesn't really excel at kickoffs, but has been great with field goals for us.

Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APkmcX5XGyY
MosEisley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in love with this draft. Embarassed I wouldn't mind this at all, I like Smallwood (UCONN)at ILB , though he probably would be gone somewhere in the 3rd round, but maybe he falls to us at the top of the 4th round. Overall great draft.
LFOX21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Licht is moving to center so switch the center pick to a G and I did it
mike23md

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sold on Dri Archer except for that gadget guy. I know he has speed, but in my eyes, I would rather have DeAnthony Thomas as he can be lined up just about anywhere and we know how good he is on ST's.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
I am not sold on Dri Archer except for that gadget guy. I know he has speed, but in my eyes, I would rather have DeAnthony Thomas as he can be lined up just about anywhere and we know how good he is on ST's.
I agree, or we just roll with the 4 young running backs we have. Thompson is a lot like Archer & Thomas

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MikeT14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a capable #2 WR at 34, pull the trigger. Otherwise take BPA. We need a playmaker there early. That could be a CB, FS, or WR in my book.

At some point in the draft, we need a capable FS and CB. Two that could play (even if limited) immediately.

AFter that, I would like depth at ILB, TE, and OL.

Your picks of Matthews, Jones, and Exum are wonderful. To me, I think Exum has the chance to succeed at FS at the next level due to his size and speed. He won't be a Byrd, Ward, et all, but a competent safety that'll do his job.

- mike23md on the sig!
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this draft.

I like the Dri Archer pick, but also like the idea of D'Anthony instead

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing. We have lots of Guards on the team. I'm finewith the Richburg selection because if he does compare to Mack, he can slide into C in a year or two

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Slateman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to come out of the draft with a safety who can start. Would like to the Skins move up and grab Clinton-Dix. This draft is rich in offensive linemen and talent can be had in the later rounds. But safety is a pressing need for the team right now.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
We have to come out of the draft with a safety who can start. Would like to the Skins move up and grab Clinton-Dix. This draft is rich in offensive linemen and talent can be had in the later rounds. But safety is a pressing need for the team right now.
He's going to go way to early. Pryor will probably be there in the 20s. Do we really want to trade up for a safety though?

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 20 tackles, 1 FF, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 14 catches, 150 rec yards
Monk HOF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 2nd and 5th round picks.

In the 3rd I would like to get B.Thomas/Clemson OG or D.Dozier/Furman OG we really need the help in the middle of that line. Don't have too much faith in S.Lauvao
4th Round If D.Dozier is still there when we pick, take him if not grab Justin Ellis DT Louisiana Tech.
6th Round Take R.Carrethers/DT ARK St. if we took D.Dozier in the 4th round.
I would love to have B.Thomas and D.Dozier for our OL and J.Ellis or R.Carrethers for our DT.
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Love this draft.

I like the Dri Archer pick, but also like the idea of D'Anthony instead

D'Anthony was essentially my backup plan in the 6th if Archer isn't there. In a lot of ways they are very similar players. D'Anthony certainly plays much faster than his combine 40 time would indicate. He even ran a 4.34 at his pro day, which seems to be more in line with how he looks on the field. That said Archer does seem to be faster on the field to me, and shows better speed in and out of his cuts. They both can be used all over the field as gadget players, but Archer just seems to be a little better at it to me, but I'd be happy with either player in the 6th round. Both of them would be instant starters at kick return/punt return for us, and be able to make a few plays a game on offense.
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
One other thing. We have lots of Guards on the team. I'm finewith the Richburg selection because if he does compare to Mack, he can slide into C in a year or two

This was essentially my thought process. We just signed one plus we got some young guys, so I'd like to see what we have at the spot before moving on. I think Richburg gives us a good starter at the Center spot for years.
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
mike23md wrote:
I agree, or we just roll with the 4 young running backs we have. Thompson is a lot like Archer & Thomas

I was as high on Thompson as anyone last year as far as his on the field ability goes, but unfortunately he just can't stay healthy. He also doesn't have a ton of experience as a return man. A guy like Archer/Thomas has been returning kicks/punts for years and would be an instant upgrade at the position. Finding guys that can instantly contribute in the 6th round isn't that common, so why not take an elite return man that can help out with some gadget type plays at WR/RB as well.
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
He's going to go way to early. Pryor will probably be there in the 20s. Do we really want to trade up for a safety though?

I agree knight, I would rather not trade up in the draft for a Safety, and I'm hoping we can just sign a guy like Clark, Decoud, Clemons, or Merriweather to help us out this year while we see what we have with all our young safeties. If one or two of the young guys look good this year we won't be sitting too badly. I still would like to get a guy like Exum in the 5th because I think he has pretty good value at that spot in the draft, and can help out at either CB or S.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: