Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs, Alex Smith working on 2-3 year Extension per report
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefs82

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Chiefs, Alex Smith working on 2-3 year Extension per report Reply with quote

Quote:
“@TheSportsMatrix: #Chiefs and QB Alex Smith are in preliminary negotiations for a 2-3 year extension #NFL”

Quote:
“@DConnollyNFL: Hearing #Chiefs and QB Alex Smith are in preliminary negotiations for a 2-3 year extension #NFL”

Quote:
“@Jacobs71: @Countryboi567 Extension wise you are likely looking at camp for a player like Houston. Alex Smith could give you relief if you need it now.”

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:3/TFL:2/Sacks:2/FF:0/FR:0
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that this comes out as we bring in our first player we might have too pony up a bit more cash for. And the player that will impact Alex's numbers the most. Is Sanders a bargaining chip?
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting news. I am glad to hear we are looking to lock up Smith. I will be very curious to see what kind of contract he ends up signing for and if it ends up raising the $8 million he was due in 2014 and use up more of our cap space.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Morkim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Interesting news. I am glad to hear we are looking to lock up Smith. I will be very curious to see what kind of contract he ends up signing for and if it ends up raising the $8 million he was due in 2014 and use up more of our cap space.

Even if he's due more than 8 per year, I bet it clears up space this year.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morkim wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

Even if he's due more than 8 per year, I bet it clears up space this year.

What would you guys think of a front loaded contract? Let's say Reid and Dorsey believe our window isn't this year but in 2-5 years from now. Would it make sense to spend more money now to allow us to re-sign player's like Houston and make more of an impact then?

Let's be real, our window is going to be there when Manning retires. I think we can beat them but unless they have a melt down that team is stacked for the next couple years.

Tamba Hali
valkrei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to make sure we have enough funds to pay our rookies. So there is not a log of wiggle room to front load the contract to much. I am guessing high signing bonus, somewhere between front and mid loaded contract with decent guaranteed funds.

If we bring in Sanders , we draft FS.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:
We have to make sure we have enough funds to pay our rookies. So there is not a log of wiggle room to front load the contract to much. I am guessing high signing bonus, somewhere between front and mid loaded contract with decent guaranteed funds.

If we bring in Sanders , we draft FS.

Yes, I forgot about that. It just doesn't seem like Dorsey and Reid are doing a Denver and doing everything they can to win right now. I'm happy they aren't but I wish we knew what their plan is.

Tamba Hali
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're slow playing it. Honestly we might need a tad more money for Sanders, or a bigger signing bonus. So getting Smith signed might be key, could also be the other way around. Smith might want to see us upgrade the offense, which this would do.

There isn't really a rush, with the amount of action we've seen to get some of these things worked out. We could burn our current cap, extend Smith to make enough room to sign rookies. Or wait it out see what happens. I'm more surprised we haven't heard about discussions for a Berry deal honestly.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for you guys.
im intersted in how much he will get.

hes a team guy so i could see him taking less than he deserves or would get on the open market. that chase daniel money was a waste though and would be helpful here. should have just been 2 year so you could cut him this year and roll with alex and bray. maybe draft a guy

new sig... sorry alex
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-draft mind games or truth?

From NFL.com

Quote:
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that contract negotiations with Alex Smith aren't progressing well, leading the team to consider selecting a quarterback in the first round, according to sources familiar with Smith's situation.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:9/Yds:23/TD:0/YPC:2.6
Rec:5/Yds:23/TD:0
valkrei

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingseanjohn wrote:
Pre-draft mind games or truth?

From NFL.com

Quote:
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that contract negotiations with Alex Smith aren't progressing well, leading the team to consider selecting a quarterback in the first round, according to sources familiar with Smith's situation.

If we can't lock up smith and a good QB is there at 23, we take him. Unless maybe ODB is there. We can't afford to be in a QB rut the next several years if we don't sign smith.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my head I need to believe this is posturing. But it certainly makes me nervous. Perhaps we've told Alex we want to see what the draft holds before we know exactly what terms we will give. Maybe Alex wants more than we're willing to give. Either way we're playing with fire right now.

On one hand, we gave up a LOT for Alex. Two second round picks, which in reality only improved Alex's worth overall, as he had a strong season. Came in and made the team believe along with coach Reid that they could win.

On the other hand, Alex is not a put the game on his back and dominate every week type of guy.

If we draft a first round QB, that means we've invested a first round pick and 2 second round picks in one position, on two players. Alex would absolutely be out after next year, and we'd have to hope we get what we're looking for in a QB that may never play after pre-season.

Yikes...this sucks. Wish we would have extended him right after we signed him. Really hope this comes back to us wanting to make people think we are down to draft a QB if it is a BPA type of situation. So that we can trade out for a little more value.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorsey and Reid would lose a lot of my support of this played out this way. Its not that I'm that huge of a Smith supporter, as much as the investment made with little return or even time to see if we can get the return. The only way I'd even be semi OK with this is if we traded Smith now for at least a 2nd round pick this year.

And just to clarify, my hope is we extend Smith for at least 3 full seasons.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Chiefer

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmay98

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade bait. They really want to get back into the 2nd rd with how deep this draft is. Although if the right player fell to them at #23 and they took him ala Bridgewater I wouldn't be mad. It reminds me a lot when Rodgers was drafted and they had a hall of famer on their roster. I think Dorsey might remember facing that decision. Although I really don't think he'll slide that far. Just saying.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: