Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pettine's Philosophies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Pettine's Philosophies Reply with quote

After we hired him, I decided to get round to reading Collision Low Crossers, about the Jets 2011 season. Pettine is quite a big part of it. It's a really interesting read. I had read Next Man Up before but I wasn't as keen as it was about Baltimore and much of it was insufferable. Anyway there's quite a lot of things to take out of it about Pettine and what he is all about. We've all heard about the bitchkitties (lol), but some other stuff:

- All about order and controlling the things that can be controlled. Pretty serious dude and isn't afraid to be blunt and honest when grading players and assistant coaches.

- Places high importance in speed and suddenness. Especially linebackers because the game is becoming more and more stretched out and not as tight and physical. Shazier? Mack?

- I trust his scouting for defense. He was all over Wilkerson. Knew Watt and Miller would be great too.

- I don't think he will draft a guy if he doesn't 100% buy into his passion and drive. This is why I don't think Clowney is on the radar.

- Don't think we should be mocking any Stanford defensive players to the Browns...
simian07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting stuff to think about (especially as it pertains to draft philosophy Drool . I'll assume he has some sort of input.). Does anyone else have anything to add? *bump*
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simian07 wrote:
This is interesting stuff to think about (especially as it pertains to draft philosophy Drool . I'll assume he has some sort of input.). Does anyone else have anything to add? *bump*

I'm just glad someone commented Embarassed

thank you!
gcodecapts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about Farmer's philosophy. He looks for high character guys too. Based on Farmer and Pettine being Defensive guys, it wouldn't surprise me if we go all D in the first 2 rounds with the exception of possibly adding an O lineman with one of the three pics. I look for them to take quick, powerful, hard hitting guys that may not necessarily be the "sexy" or rather popular pick.
revans52us

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcodecapts wrote:
Don't forget about Farmer's philosophy. He looks for high character guys too. Based on Farmer and Pettine being Defensive guys, it wouldn't surprise me if we go all D in the first 2 rounds with the exception of possibly adding an O lineman with one of the three pics. I look for them to take quick, powerful, hard hitting guys that may not necessarily be the "sexy" or rather popular pick.

If they did go all D in the first two rounds, I'd throw up.
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revans52us wrote:
gcodecapts wrote:

If they did go all D in the first two rounds, I'd throw up.

+1... I don't know how anyone could not be floored if it were to be 2 defensive players and an o-lineman to start out the draft.
gcodecapts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not saying I like it...just saying I wouldn't be surprised. After watching pathetic offenses for the past decade and a half (albiet there was a year or 2 that wasn't so bad), I'm ready for some excitement. However, as exciting as the Broncos offense was this year, they ended up stomping on all their fans hearts at the SB. That offense may have been great but they were dominated by an amazing D.
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcodecapts wrote:
not saying I like it...just saying I wouldn't be surprised. After watching pathetic offenses for the past decade and a half (albiet there was a year or 2 that wasn't so bad), I'm ready for some excitement. However, as exciting as the Broncos offense was this year, they ended up stomping on all their fans hearts at the SB. That offense may have been great but they were dominated by an amazing D.

The Browns have a top 3 corner and one of the best d-lines in the NFL. They then went out and got a top three ILB and 2 time pro-bowl safety in FA. If the Browns devoted two top 35 picks to defense after all that, I'd set my hair on fire and jump into a pool of gasoline.
H2ThaIzzo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it certainly doesn't help that the vaunted Seahawks D only has three defensive players who were drafted in the first two rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack is a 3-4 rush LB. we aren't going to take him. I can see Shazier, though.

<3 JF
JM95

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
gcodecapts wrote:

The Browns have a top 3 corner and one of the best d-lines in the NFL. They then went out and got a top three ILB and 2 time pro-bowl safety in FA. If the Browns devoted two top 35 picks to defense after all that, I'd set my hair on fire and jump into a pool of gasoline.

Exactley, considering the depth of the CB and ILB class it would be foolish to take one of each in the first, however i can see two of five of our top picks being defensive guys. I see it going something like:
1: Offence - QB/WR
1: Defence - ILB or Offence WR
2: Offence OG or WR if not previously addressed.
3: Defence CB or OG if not previously addressed.
3: Offence RB/WR or ILB if not previously addressed.
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettine also likes long armed D-lineman. And he puts on premium on athleticism and fire.
JM95

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poorbytehshore wrote:
Pettine also likes long armed D-lineman. And he puts on premium on athleticism and fire.

Yeah i believe i saw one of the other posters say he was really high on Watt and Wilkerson, so i should imagine we get more athletic in the front 7 in the next year or two. However i seem to remember Farmer saying that he would draft guys on their on field achievements and whether they were high character, not on their athletic ability, so who knows Confused
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM95 wrote:
poorbytehshore wrote:

Yeah i believe i saw one of the other posters say he was really high on Watt and Wilkerson, so i should imagine we get more athletic in the front 7 in the next year or two. However i seem to remember Farmer saying that he would draft guys on their on field achievements and whether they were high character, not on their athletic ability, so who knows Confused

yeah that was me, reading the book he knew Watt and the other guy who has been elite (name is eluding me as I type this) were going to be good. And he was all over Wilkerson. Just wanted him to play a bit more fiery.
brownie man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Christian Jones is a perfect fit with Pettine's defense as an ILB for the 34.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: