Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans resign DE Ropati Pitoitua
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lamont

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin615$ wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
So he going to be the starter on one end. I think Morgan going to be the other.

Casey will be the other starting DE. I expect Morgan to be the other starter though. Horton has really talked him up every chance he gets.

So you guys think a 3 man rotation of Morgan, Casey & Pitoitua at DE and they can double dip on OLB in the draft & free agency?

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
lamont

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin615$ wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

Casey will be the other starting DE. I expect Morgan to be the other starter though. Horton has really talked him up every chance he gets.

So you guys think a 3 man rotation of Morgan, Casey & Pitoitua at DE and they can double dip on OLB in the draft & free agency?

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

Well I'm still trying to figure out what our base scheme is. If its a 3-4, I expect Casey to be at the other end and Morgan potentially on the bench.

Agreed. I can't see Morgan surpassing the 6'8" 300 lb Pitoitua as a 3-4 DE. He played surprising well as a 4-3 DE and I think this will fit him a lot better.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I starting to wonder if they will play Morgan at LB some. I compare Morgan a bit to Will Smith who tried to make a similar transition in N.O. Granted he blew out his knee so we never saw how that played out. Mike Neal played OLB pretty effectively for the Pack last year supplanting 1st round pick Nick Perry. He's 285lbs. Now that means very little, but its worth noting. It is a copy cat league after all.

**RIP Steve McNair**
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
I starting to wonder if they will play Morgan at LB some. I compare Morgan a bit to Will Smith who tried to make a similar transition in N.O. Granted he blew out his knee so we never saw how that played out. Mike Neal played OLB pretty effectively for the Pack last year supplanting 1st round pick Nick Perry. He's 285lbs. Now that means very little, but its worth noting. It is a copy cat league after all.

Was searching for his weight at the combine to see if he played at less than 285. He weighed in at 266 at the combine. If he can get back down to that, then he'd likely have a much better chance at playing LB.

Though there was this on his weaknesses section:

Quote:
WEAKNESSES Morgan lacks some power with his initial punch and at the point of attack. He needs to improve his consistency when disengaging and separating versus the run. We question his scheme versatility, and he does not appear to be a fit coming off the edge from OLB in a 3-4 or holding up as a 3-4 end.

Obviously not the end all.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:

Was searching for his weight at the combine to see if he played at less than 285. He weighed in at 266 at the combine. If he can get back down to that, then he'd likely have a much better chance at playing LB.

Though there was this on his weaknesses section:

Quote:
WEAKNESSES Morgan lacks some power with his initial punch and at the point of attack. He needs to improve his consistency when disengaging and separating versus the run. We question his scheme versatility, and he does not appear to be a fit coming off the edge from OLB in a 3-4 or holding up as a 3-4 end.

Obviously not the end all.

I think Morgan has the potential to do both. I remember when he came out, seeing him going through the LB drills at the combine and not looking horrible. Shoot, I even remember them putting Chris Long through LB drills and looking alright.

I think Morgan and can play the OLB. I'm still so interested in how they slot our LBs.

Morgan------Brown? ILB?---- Ayers
Brown----McCarthy?---ILB--- Ayers

Do they plan to make Brown and ILB or on the OLB or just abandon him all together?

I'm liking Mosley as a pick but we shall see.
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you all assuming we will be a 3-4 defense.
Ray Horton already said that he will put his players in the best position to do what they do best. I'm sure from them watching tape they know cassey needs to be at DT.
MdTitansFan56

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Redd10 wrote:
Ray Horton already said that he will put his players in the best position to do what they do best. I'm sure from them watching tape they know cassey needs to be at DT.

Because everywhere he has been has utilized the 3-4 and feel we are switching to that eventually. We just don't have all the pieces to flat out switch this coming year completely.

1. Alex Morgan 2.San Antonio Spurs 3. Chicago White Sox 4. Ohio State 5. Buckeyes 6. Philadelphia Flyers
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Redd10 wrote:

Casey will play 3-4 DE in a much similar way to playing 4-3 DT.
Damian Stafford
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MdTitansFan56 wrote:
J.Redd10 wrote:

Because everywhere he has been has utilized the 3-4 and feel we are switching to that eventually. We just don't have all the pieces to flat out switch this coming year completely.

+1

plus every DC everywhere since the beginning of time throws out that 'put his players in the best position to do what they do best'. I believe Jerry Grey said something similar when he was hired. Every coach has tendencies and a preference though. Horton comes from the Lebeau coaching tree which favors 3 down linemen and a assortment of athletic linebackers who can attack from anywhere.

**RIP Steve McNair**
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Belechick was a 3-4 guy & guess what he threw that out the window.
I see what your saying though use cassey like Hou use jj watt or how Dallas used Ratliff in his prime.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin615$ wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

Fluffin' that trade bait. I said it from the beginning that Morgan doesn't have a fit in a 3-4D.

If he stays, he will be the DE if/when we line up in a 4-3/4-2 front... and as a 3-3 DE in pass obvious downs. I don't see him having a position in a base 3-4, however.

On the other hand, the Rip signing was an obvious need, and suddenly, the DL looks strong against the run with Casey and Rip at DE. I don't know about Mookie being the starting NT, but he could be a good rotational guy there. We're a good NT away from having a very good 3-4 DL. Klug and Martin would be the main backups in the DE rotation, although another good backup could be brought in. If the Titans can find a good NT, Hill looks like he'll be a cap/roster casualty (or maybe he'll be that last "swing" DE/NT guy). For now, he and Mookie man the Nose in my imaginary depth chart.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: