Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

oldie's 2014 RANKINGS and Combine/Pro Day discussion thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39890
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ryan Shazier wasn't able to run the 40-yard dash at the Combine because of a hamstring issue, and he tweaked his hamstring again Friday at Ohio State's pro day. But he tweaked it while running the 40, and with representatives from 29 NFL teams watching, he was timed at an unofficial 4.36 seconds -- a startling time for a LB. Still, let's stress this was an unofficial time, and while Shazier unquestionably is the fastest LB in the draft, the 4.36 time, frankly, strains credulity.

"He's a true 4-3 outside linebacker," Mayock said


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331632/article/ohio-state-lb-ryan-shazier-reinjures-hamstring-at-pro-day
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 13820
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Quote:
Ryan Shazier wasn't able to run the 40-yard dash at the Combine because of a hamstring issue, and he tweaked his hamstring again Friday at Ohio State's pro day. But he tweaked it while running the 40, and with representatives from 29 NFL teams watching, he was timed at an unofficial 4.36 seconds -- a startling time for a LB. Still, let's stress this was an unofficial time, and while Shazier unquestionably is the fastest LB in the draft, the 4.36 time, frankly, strains credulity.

"He's a true 4-3 outside linebacker," Mayock said


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331632/article/ohio-state-lb-ryan-shazier-reinjures-hamstring-at-pro-day


Shazier's a stud. Not sure what his best position would be in the NFL. Maybe Mayock's right. I think he could play a lot like Bowman does for us if someone moved into that kind of spot. Anyway, I think he'll be one of the better guys coming out of this class.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39890
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Quote:
Ryan Shazier wasn't able to run the 40-yard dash at the Combine because of a hamstring issue, and he tweaked his hamstring again Friday at Ohio State's pro day. But he tweaked it while running the 40, and with representatives from 29 NFL teams watching, he was timed at an unofficial 4.36 seconds -- a startling time for a LB. Still, let's stress this was an unofficial time, and while Shazier unquestionably is the fastest LB in the draft, the 4.36 time, frankly, strains credulity.

"He's a true 4-3 outside linebacker," Mayock said


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331632/article/ohio-state-lb-ryan-shazier-reinjures-hamstring-at-pro-day


Shazier's a stud. Not sure what his best position would be in the NFL. Maybe Mayock's right. I think he could play a lot like Bowman does for us if someone moved into that kind of spot. Anyway, I think he'll be one of the better guys coming out of this class.


I really don't see it. Shazier's a guy that must run around blockers... and he's going to be selected very early. He's athletically impressive, but I wasn't blown away by anything aside from the speed. I just don't see us targeting an early round ILB... not with Moody, Wilhoite, and even Skuta able to handle a role there.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psychlone


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 3729
Location: Marin County, CA.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Northern Illinois S Jimmie Ward clocked forty times of 4.46 and 4.51 at the Huskies' Pro Day.
Ward did not participate at the Combine due to a foot injury, which has since apparently healed. Despite standing just 5-foot-10 3/4 and 193 pounds, Ward is a big hitter with plenty of straight-line speed. He's got a chance to be a late first-round pick. Ward is a favorite of Rotoworld draft guru Josh Norris.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13208
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
I'm 6' and have 33" arms! I would let the 9ers pick me...really. Very Happy


Not supposed to start measuring from neck to fingertip, cheater!



I don't have a measuring tape (what kind of a man am I, really?!), but I doubt my arms are even 28". If Baalke saw me, he'd probably scoff at me.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39890
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
I'm 6' and have 33" arms! I would let the 9ers pick me...really. Very Happy


Not supposed to start measuring from neck to fingertip, cheater!



I don't have a measuring tape (what kind of a man am I, really?!), but I doubt my arms are even 28". If Baalke saw me, he'd probably scoff at me.


Must admit, I did measure.. uhm.. things. Have 9.5" hands and 31.5" arm length. At 5'11 and 190 lbs and nearing 40.. Baalke would probably have no use for me anymore... I feel sure I could still beat Rich Eisen though!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39890
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
Quote:
Northern Illinois S Jimmie Ward clocked forty times of 4.46 and 4.51 at the Huskies' Pro Day.
Ward did not participate at the Combine due to a foot injury, which has since apparently healed. Despite standing just 5-foot-10 3/4 and 193 pounds, Ward is a big hitter with plenty of straight-line speed. He's got a chance to be a late first-round pick. Ward is a favorite of Rotoworld draft guru Josh Norris.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter


No surprise for me, but thanks for posting this. I always miss the good stuff while taking the daily nap. Jimmie Ward at #30 would make me smile. He can be our Earl Thomas and fits in nicely with Eric Reid! Very Happy



to add a little to this...

Quote:
Ward, the top-rated strong safety in this year's class by NFLDraftScout.com who can also play free safety, ran the 40 twice to display his straight-line speed before he soon undergoes surgery to have a screw inserted into his foot.He expects to be cleared to return to the field before the May 8-10 NFL Draft. Ward had 95 tackles and seven interceptions last season, and is considered to be a versatile back-end defender who boasts speed and good instincts despite being relatively small at 5-feet-11 and 193. He was a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award as a senior, and has even displayed the ability to drop down to handle slot receivers in man coverage.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24472088/pro-days-jimmie-ward-displays-speed-before-foot-surgery
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39890
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and a lil more....


Quote:
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 4h
NIU S Jimmie Ward with 38 inch vertical and 10-5 broad jump at pro day I am told. Players have just started running.


really good #s...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 13820
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Quote:
Ryan Shazier wasn't able to run the 40-yard dash at the Combine because of a hamstring issue, and he tweaked his hamstring again Friday at Ohio State's pro day. But he tweaked it while running the 40, and with representatives from 29 NFL teams watching, he was timed at an unofficial 4.36 seconds -- a startling time for a LB. Still, let's stress this was an unofficial time, and while Shazier unquestionably is the fastest LB in the draft, the 4.36 time, frankly, strains credulity.

"He's a true 4-3 outside linebacker," Mayock said


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331632/article/ohio-state-lb-ryan-shazier-reinjures-hamstring-at-pro-day


Shazier's a stud. Not sure what his best position would be in the NFL. Maybe Mayock's right. I think he could play a lot like Bowman does for us if someone moved into that kind of spot. Anyway, I think he'll be one of the better guys coming out of this class.


I really don't see it. Shazier's a guy that must run around blockers... and he's going to be selected very early. He's athletically impressive, but I wasn't blown away by anything aside from the speed. I just don't see us targeting an early round ILB... not with Moody, Wilhoite, and even Skuta able to handle a role there.


Oh gosh, no, not us. I do think he'll be a great addition for someone though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 6975
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Quote:
Ryan Shazier wasn't able to run the 40-yard dash at the Combine because of a hamstring issue, and he tweaked his hamstring again Friday at Ohio State's pro day. But he tweaked it while running the 40, and with representatives from 29 NFL teams watching, he was timed at an unofficial 4.36 seconds -- a startling time for a LB. Still, let's stress this was an unofficial time, and while Shazier unquestionably is the fastest LB in the draft, the 4.36 time, frankly, strains credulity.

"He's a true 4-3 outside linebacker," Mayock said


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331632/article/ohio-state-lb-ryan-shazier-reinjures-hamstring-at-pro-day


Shazier's a stud. Not sure what his best position would be in the NFL. Maybe Mayock's right. I think he could play a lot like Bowman does for us if someone moved into that kind of spot. Anyway, I think he'll be one of the better guys coming out of this class.


I really don't see it. Shazier's a guy that must run around blockers... and he's going to be selected very early. He's athletically impressive, but I wasn't blown away by anything aside from the speed. I just don't see us targeting an early round ILB... not with Moody, Wilhoite, and even Skuta able to handle a role there.


Pretty much this. I watched a lot of OSU this year as they are my college team, and Shazier is a missile; nobody doubts that. But he's not particularly adept at shedding blocks or taking the best angle. Incredible acceleration and speed, but he can get mauled in the blocking game. He's not a great all around talent. I've seem comparisons to David, and I think that's a fair comparison, though I don't know if his ceiling is quite as high.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26695
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
and a lil more....


Quote:
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 4h
NIU S Jimmie Ward with 38 inch vertical and 10-5 broad jump at pro day I am told. Players have just started running.


really good #s...


Basically assures him going in the top 25. I see KC as an potential landing spot for him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 13820
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Quote:
Ryan Shazier wasn't able to run the 40-yard dash at the Combine because of a hamstring issue, and he tweaked his hamstring again Friday at Ohio State's pro day. But he tweaked it while running the 40, and with representatives from 29 NFL teams watching, he was timed at an unofficial 4.36 seconds -- a startling time for a LB. Still, let's stress this was an unofficial time, and while Shazier unquestionably is the fastest LB in the draft, the 4.36 time, frankly, strains credulity.

"He's a true 4-3 outside linebacker," Mayock said


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331632/article/ohio-state-lb-ryan-shazier-reinjures-hamstring-at-pro-day


Shazier's a stud. Not sure what his best position would be in the NFL. Maybe Mayock's right. I think he could play a lot like Bowman does for us if someone moved into that kind of spot. Anyway, I think he'll be one of the better guys coming out of this class.


I really don't see it. Shazier's a guy that must run around blockers... and he's going to be selected very early. He's athletically impressive, but I wasn't blown away by anything aside from the speed. I just don't see us targeting an early round ILB... not with Moody, Wilhoite, and even Skuta able to handle a role there.


Pretty much this. I watched a lot of OSU this year as they are my college team, and Shazier is a missile; nobody doubts that. But he's not particularly adept at shedding blocks or taking the best angle. Incredible acceleration and speed, but he can get mauled in the blocking game. He's not a great all around talent. I've seem comparisons to David, and I think that's a fair comparison, though I don't know if his ceiling is quite as high.


I've watched him play a lot too, and I know what you're saying. But he was making plays all over the field every game I watched. ESPN shows him with over 140 total tackles on the season. No matter what his apparent strengths and weaknesses that's a boatload of production.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39890
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
and a lil more....


Quote:
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 4h
NIU S Jimmie Ward with 38 inch vertical and 10-5 broad jump at pro day I am told. Players have just started running.


really good #s...


Basically assures him going in the top 25. I see KC as an potential landing spot for him.


I still think he's one of those mystery picks... could go as early as mid-1st... could even slip down to our first 2nd rd spot. My guess remains the 20-40 range.. and I'm comfortable placing him at #19 on my BB. Been a fool before... so we will see... Smile
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39890
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CB / Chris Davis, 5-9, 200 pounds / AUBURN

Chris Davis' stock hasn't changed much since the end of the season, but Mike Mayock believes Davis could now be an early-round pick following his performance Tuesday. Davis was unable to perform at the NFL Combine due to a hamstring injury, but recorded the best vertical jump at 40 1/2 inches Tuesday, and did well in the broad jump (10 feet, 4 inches) and had the third-fastest 40-yard dash time at 4.51 seconds. Game film of Davis is not hard to find, but it's his versatility as a return man on special teams and his consistent play near the sideline that will catch eyes. His strong performance Tuesday garnered a few looks, including a chat with the Detroit Lions. A fourth, fifth or sixth round prediction suddenly includes a look at the third round.


http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/03/who_improved_their_nfl_draft_s.html

I have him as a 4th rd pick that could go in the 3rd. Reminds me some of Tarell Brown. He does have some issues as a run defender and switching off to the right man when multiple routes come his way... but there's a lot to work with. I think he can play outside, but can also be strong as a NCB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 6975
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Quote:
CB / Chris Davis, 5-9, 200 pounds / AUBURN

Chris Davis' stock hasn't changed much since the end of the season, but Mike Mayock believes Davis could now be an early-round pick following his performance Tuesday. Davis was unable to perform at the NFL Combine due to a hamstring injury, but recorded the best vertical jump at 40 1/2 inches Tuesday, and did well in the broad jump (10 feet, 4 inches) and had the third-fastest 40-yard dash time at 4.51 seconds. Game film of Davis is not hard to find, but it's his versatility as a return man on special teams and his consistent play near the sideline that will catch eyes. His strong performance Tuesday garnered a few looks, including a chat with the Detroit Lions. A fourth, fifth or sixth round prediction suddenly includes a look at the third round.


http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/03/who_improved_their_nfl_draft_s.html

I have him as a 4th rd pick that could go in the 3rd. Reminds me some of Tarell Brown. He does have some issues as a run defender and switching off to the right man when multiple routes come his way... but there's a lot to work with. I think he can play outside, but can also be strong as a NCB.


See, I feel like someone like Davis would be a solid get in the middle rounds for double dipping on the corner position. Say you get someone like Fuller in round 1. He plays off most of his snaps in college, is bigger, taller, and will be an outside guy at the NFL level and will be very, very unlikely to be a very good slot corner. Than you double dip with a guy like Davis; a bit raw as you said. Definite field awareness issues and his footwork needs to be refined, but you pick him with the intention of using him in the return game for sure right off the bat, and then working with him on defense for the specific purpose of being a slot corner, which we have a gaping weakness with typically. Even if he doesn't pan out defensively, at least you're getting something in the return game, and given enough time (I have questions regarding his coachability), maybe you get that very good slot corner.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 22 of 31

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group