Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JetsDH23 Mock Offseason '14 1.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetsDH23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: JetsDH23 Mock Offseason '14 1.0 Reply with quote

Here's my first attempt of a Mock Offseason for '14

Cuts

Going with the four major ones that i've been seeing so far and nothing new

Mark Sanchez-needs to start new somewhere
Santonio Holmes-problem in the locker room, don't need a guy like him
Antonio Cromartie-not worth the contract (see later though)
Mike Goodson-legal troubles plus coming off a torn ACL

These four cuts save the Jets close to 30million and put them under the cap by about 45million

Re-Sign

OT Austin Howard- (4 year 16.4 million)
DT Leger Douzable- (2 year 1.8 million)
K Nick Folk- Franchise Tag
OLB Calvin Pace- (2 year 5.5 million)
TE Jeff Cumberland- (2 year 5.1 million)

Puts the Jets at around 32 million heading into Free Agency

Free Agency

Emmanuel Sanders (4yrs, 20mil)- As everyone knows, the Jets need to completely revamp their WR core. They start this revamping by picking up a very solid WR. I've always been a fan of Sanders and even though he's not a true #1, he can be a solid #2 for the offense.

James Jones (3yrs, 15mil)- Like I said before, the Jets need a ton of help at WR. I would not be shocked if they went out & signed two WR's since Idzik has stated that he uses free agency as a way to fill needs. Jones has had a solid career in Green Bay and I think he can come to the Jets and continue his production. He's a bigger WR (6'1) which helps since the Jets have two smaller WR's Sanders (5'11) and Kerley (5'9)

Shaun Hill (2yrs, 6mil)- Everyone keeps reporting that the Jets will go hard after Mike Vick, but in the end, I think Vick goes somewhere like Minnesota. Hill is a solid backup QB and will be a great mentor to Geno.

Zane Beadles (3yrs, 12mil)- In my mock, I have the Jets not resigning Willie Colin, so they will need a new OG. In comes Beadles. He's a big character guy which will be great for the locker room and also a very solid linemen, which will help solidify our o-line.

Antonio Cromartie (3yrs, 12mil)- Cromartie has stated that he wants to retire a Jet and i'm all for that, just not with his current contract. By signing him to a new deal, he is able to retire a Jet and if his production continues to suffer the Jets can just cut him again

Draft

Predraft Trade:

-Jets trade Kyle Wilson to the Jaguars for their 4th round pick. WIlson is about to be a FA next year and probably wants to start and not just be a nickel corner. The Jets get a pretty decent pick out of it

-Jets trade Stephen Hill to the Vikings for their 6th round pick. The front office is already tired of Hill and so am I. They trade him away for pretty much nothing but to me, it doesn't matter

1st Round: Eric Ebron-TE-UNC: The Jets need help at TE and in comes Ebron. He's a freak of an athlete and reminds many of Vernon David. He helps Geno big time over the middle.

TRADE: Jets trade their 2nd, 4th, and 6th picks to the Raiders for their 2nd round pick

[i]2nd Round: Jordan Matthews-WR-Vanderbilt:[/i] Like I have stated twice already, the Jets need to completely revamp their WR core. Even though they already have Kerley and signed Sanders and Jones, I think they can't pass up a player like Jordan Matthews. He can play behind Jones and learn from him before one day taking over for him (probably in Jones' third year)

[i]3rd Round: Craig Loston-S-LSU[/i]: One are that the Jets need help in with their defense is their secondary. The safety spots have been a major concern for the Jets ever since Rex Ryan took over. I like Antonio Allen, but the Jets still need another young safety. LSU has produced some pretty good secondary players as of late and I think Loston adds to that list. He might not start right away but will provide the Jets with some solid depth.

3rd Round: Louchiez Purifoy-CB-Florida: WIth the Jets trading Kyle Wilson, they need to add another CB and also to groom a Cromartie replacement. Purifoy has a nose for the football and has solid coverage skills. He can play the slot CB for the Jets until he is ready to start

4th Round: Adrian Hubbard-OLB-Alabama: Even though Hubbard didn't have the best season, he is still a solid player. In other drafts he probably goes in the mid to late 2nd round but since this is such a deep draft, he falls to the 4th. This is a great pickup for the Jets because he will be a situational pass rusher for them in year one before taking over for Calvin Pace.

4th Round (Comp)- Zach Mettenberger-QB-LSU: It feels like the Jets are going to draft a QB in the mid rounds to bring in as competition for Geno Smith. I truly believe that Smith can succeed as the starting QB, but it's always good to have a solid backup. Mettenberger was having a very strong year before his injury, but I think he can provide the competition the Jets want. If Geno does succeed then the Jets are in a great situation with a solid backup QB.

5th Round: Jon Halapio-OG-Florida: The guard position was a huge problem for the Jets o-line last season. Even though I have them adding Beadles in free agency, I still think they need depth at the position incase Brian Winters doesn't pan out.

5th Round (Comp): Storm Johnson-RB-UCF: I was really impressed with the way Johnson ran the ball this year and I think he fits in well with what the Jets want to do on offense. He's a big body and can run in-between the tackles while also making people miss. He's not a homerun threat, but he can get the tough yards when need be.

6th Round (Comp): Vinnie Sunseri-S-Alabama: As I stated earlier, the Jets secondary was their weakest link on defense last season. I already have them drafting Loston in the 3rd, but being able to get Sunseri at this spot is too good to pass up. Before the injury he probably would have gone in the 3rd/4th round but instead the Jets get him here. He might never be more than an nickel safety for the Jets but in the NFL now a days, teams need a very strong/reliable 3rd safety.

7th Round: Kirkby Van Der Camp-P-Iowa State: I was not a fan of the Jets punter last season and I think they need to address the position this offseason. Van Der Camp is the best punter in the draft, so I have the Jets taking him here.

Depth Chart

QB: Geno/Hill/Mettenberger/Simms

RB: Ivory/Powell/Johnson
FB: T-Bo
WR: Sanders/Nelson/Dwight Jones (will be a surprise this training camp)
WR: JJones/Matthews
Slot: Kerley
TE: Ebron/Cumberland/Suddfield

LT: D'Brick
LG: Winters/Halapio
C: Mangold
RG: Beadles/Campbell
RT: Howard/Aboushi

LE: Mo Wilk/Douzable
NT: Snacks/Ellis
RE: Richardson

LOLB: Coples
ILB: Davis
ILB: Harris/Bellore
OLB: Pace/Hubbard

CB: Cromartie/Purifoy/Trufant
CB: Millner/Walls/Lankaster
SS: Landry/Loston
FS: Allen/Sunseri

K: Folk
P: Van Der Camp

Let me know what you guys think, I put a lot of work into this. Thanks!
Bianconero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero inspired to be onesto.

Arrow I wanted us to trade a pick to Green Bay many years ago for James Jones.

Giving him $5M a year now is blah.

Arrow I'd also rather have Stephen Hill's potential than a 6th rounder.

Arrow Louchiez Purifoy will be GOAT.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The draft is fine, but I don't see Mettenberger falling that far.

In terms of FA, that's fine as well; think Cro might be able to get a little more, but won't complain

Trades. I hate both. To me, Hill's potential is worth much more than a 6th. If it was a 3rd or a high 4th, i'd say maybe, but not at a 6th. Also, Kyle's an excellent slot corner (just not good on the outside guarding 1's and 2's). I'd rather keep him than give up a 4th.

Props to JMG on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guessing u like players coming out of the SEC? Haha. Not bad at all, few things I'm not on board with but I like most the moves.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:
Arrow I'd also rather have Stephen Hill's potential than a 6th rounder.

Arrow Louchiez Purifoy will be GOAT.

Agreed.

Also, not that I like Wilson but we'd be relying heavily on Milliner and Purifoy, plus Cro had a bad year last year. Huge boom or bust secondary right there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: