Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Houston should draft AJ McCarron to be their QB
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mse326

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
mse326 wrote:
^I agree with everything except I think Bridgewater is worth the #1 pick.

You compare him to Geno as if that's a bad thing. Geno has plenty of tools to succeed, it's the mind that is keeping him back. Mentally Bridgewater is as advanced as any QB prospect to come out. He already does pre snap reads and calls audibles. He has shown the ability to go through progressions and not force it. He anticipates routes. When you have that with above average physical tools across the board you have a #1 prospect. He may not be elite in any physical tools, but he is above average in pretty much all of them except size. And he has already put on muscle this offseason before the combine and his athleticism didn't suffer. He is elite mentally and that is where most of these first round busts fail.

Will he ever be a consistent all-pro? Probably not. But I do see multiple pro bowls (deserving at least). I can see him as a top 4-7 QB in this league for years. At the QB position that is worth the #1 pick.

We're not too far off on this. My issue is that it is need that is pushing Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel into discussion for being looked at as top 5 picks, not talent and that almost always leads to poor value (like Locker, Gabbert, Ponder in 2011, Tannehill and Weedon in 2012, or Manuel last year). None of these guys are Newton, Luck, Griffin, or Jameis Winston next year, so we are essentially in the position of taking Locker, Tannehill, or Gabbert quality at #1 overall (who were all top ten picks). Locker and Tanehill may have led more talented teams to a playoff birth by now, but they aren't "put the team on my back" types the way Luck has been both years, RGIII was as a rookie, and Cam last year once their D hit it's stride. I don't think Clowney alone gets us there either, but I think Clowney + servicable QB > above average QB + another Barwin/Reed type pass rusher on a defense lacking game changers beyond Watt / Cushing.

Just because this draft class has 3 or 4 QBs better than last years crop, still doesn't mean any of them are worthy of #1 overall. If you are going to reach for need, I could argue that Mack/Barr, Dennard/Gilbert, Robinson/Matthews are justifiable reaches as well as the lack of a 2nd pass rush option, deep coverage, and o-line play have been problems longer than poor QB play which could be explained by Kubiak's predictable system as much as Schaub falling off a cliff and Keenum being undrafted for a reason. We hired a QB guru who made Matt McGloin into a winning QB, so we should assume that he can actually coach up a QB and that change in an of itself will provide offensive improvement since the opponent doesn't know the entire playbook like they did with Kubiak and Shanny. Last year's implosion could easily be pinned on our failure to adequately replace Mario, Barwin, Winston, and Quin if QB play wasn't the one thing most lay NFL fans point to because they can understand that ints are bad. I don't see a huge movement to ditch Eli Manning or Flacco despite both playing at Schaub level last year, while I maintain that just fixing QB merely gets us back to 7-9 territory like them and a 2 year process means you take the best player, not the best QB at #1.

That depends what you mean by position driving the pick. I agree that Bortles and Manziel are being driven by the position. I don't have either as first rounds picks. Teddy I do have as a top 10 prospect regardless of position. I will grant it is towards the back of the top 10 and being a QB is driving the #1 price tag, but he is a legit top 10 prospect. The Gabberts and Lockers were not top 10 prospects. It was position that put them there.

I disagree with you about Bridgewater not being in the same class as Newton, Luck, and Griffin (we'll talk about Winston last year, but he has a long way to go). Bridgewater is so far ahead mentally from Newton and Griffin. His arm isn't as good but he is much better at anticipating which allows him to actually be better throwing into small windows. Running isn't nearly as important to me as throwing, and Teddy has enough athleticism to make plays with his feet in the vain of Wilson. I have him rated over both of them as prospects. Not by much but ahead nonetheless. Luck is ahead of him, but I wouldn't say he's in a different class. All 4 are definitely in the same general ranking area.

#JDI
King Blonde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade down for Texans, i think, that's the most optimal option.

Frankly speaking, there's no franchise QB's on the draft, so why don't give Keenum starting position?
mse326

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Blonde wrote:

Frankly speaking, there's no franchise QB's on the draft, so why don't give Keenum starting position?

Because he sucks.

#JDI
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
King Blonde wrote:

Because he sucks.

0-8 and seemingly got worse each game as DCs easily spotted his flaws on tape after decent first halfs against KC, Indy, and Az before they adjusted and shut him down. Losing to Jacksonville twice, Oakland and that abysmal showing in the 2nd Indy game (actually averaged 2 yards per pass) closed the book on Keenum as a starter in this league at least for the foreseeable future. Most damning to me was his poor completion %, sub 7 ypa, and ridiculous 200+ yards lost on sacks many of which were completely on him and his habit of running backwards instead of stepping into the pocket. There is a base level of ability to give your team a chance to win and keep them engaged in the effort and Case simply doesn't have it and we simply can't afford another season of amateurish embarrassing play or the wheels could fully come off like in Cleveland, Jax, or Oakland. Our window can remain open with some competent QB play, but another wasted season could leave us watching Luck own our division the way Manning did and waiting out Manning and Brady's retirement as we aren't likely to avoid both via a Wild Card route.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
King Blonde wrote:

Because he sucks.

pretty sure i was bashed hard core for saying this all season

anyways

the only way i would be ok with McCarron is if we get him 5th round or later

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An issue with basically punting QB in this draft is the backlash from fandom in general. Could we really sell Matt Cassel (or similar) as 'the guy'. I don't think in general the public would accept this even with a wink and 'wait until next year' as the story that's never spoken but implied. NFL regimes are short lived generally, the clock starts this year on BOB so he has to get winning ASAP. Im not saying win or else this year, but lets not pretend he will have forever. I believe this limits long term planning/upside in the league in general, but it is what it is. So assuming its get a young QB, groom him, get him up to speed, get your guys and system in place. Its a relatively short window to accomplish this.

If we were to grab a '2nd tier' guy, pick your flavor whoever, it seems a complete waist of a pick, which are rare and valuable things. Especially if the plan is to wait until next year. I dont think a year tryout for guys who have upside, but all major flaws is really a way to know their upside. The guys who are given that much rope are drooling upside and are higher picks because of it.

The grass is always greener, and the guys next year havent been put under the full microscope this year's guys have. I know people love X next year, but that always falters under intense light. How many 'super stud QB' as junior are then though of as 'meh' the year they are scrutinized? Think back, lots.

Worse yet, what if we outplay 'the guys' next year with the 'wait' plan in place. Its not unbelieveable a mediocre QB could lead us to 8-8. Then all the top QBs go top 5 and what's the move then?

I just have a hard time seeing not making a stand and taking the best avaialble now even if there are other possibles in next years they like from afar now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: