Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BPA v. Need
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.O

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hansen31 wrote:
Kyu wrote:
If Watkins, Ebron, and Evans are off the board, I'd go with Barr, Clinton-Dix, Pryor, Dennard, or Gilbert, in no particular order.
I just think the WR pool is very deep this year and if we find one in FA, we won't be in a "all-in" type situation for the draft.

I one hundred percent agree with this. Sammy and Ebron are really the only two receiving options i would want in round one at 18. I would love to get a Barr, Mack, Dennard there. I see MAck going top 5..top 10 atleast and i see top 15 for Barr..so.. Where do you guys think Pryor from Louisville would go, what do you think of him as a Safety?

would rather take Gilbert IMO, I think hes gonna be a star, Pryor is interesting, hes a heavy hitter and plays the ball pretty well
Kyu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.O wrote:
Hansen31 wrote:
Kyu wrote:
If Watkins, Ebron, and Evans are off the board, I'd go with Barr, Clinton-Dix, Pryor, Dennard, or Gilbert, in no particular order.
I just think the WR pool is very deep this year and if we find one in FA, we won't be in a "all-in" type situation for the draft.

I one hundred percent agree with this. Sammy and Ebron are really the only two receiving options i would want in round one at 18. I would love to get a Barr, Mack, Dennard there. I see MAck going top 5..top 10 atleast and i see top 15 for Barr..so.. Where do you guys think Pryor from Louisville would go, what do you think of him as a Safety?

would rather take Gilbert IMO, I think hes gonna be a star, Pryor is interesting, hes a heavy hitter and plays the ball pretty well

I like both S's right now and don't really prefer one to another.
According to some scouting reports I read, Pryor is an in-the-box S who can cover and Clinton-Dix is a center-fielder who can tackle.
Barr would be interesting considering he only played two season as a DEF player, but his physical tools and talent are undeniable.
He could fill out a bit more, but he's not a weight-lifter like Gholston and has shown football ability along with his athleticism.
As for CB, I prefer Gilbert to Dennard.
Gilbert is big, long, athletic, and has that mean streak to play straight man, which fits our scheme.

Of course, I'd absolutely love for one of my big 3, Watkins, Ebron, and Evans, to fall to use, but it seems more and more likely none of them will be there at 18.
Rich51

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that our draft board will include all players, including DTs.

If that's the case, I would not go BPA in the early rounds or we could end up with an Aaron Donald or Tim Jernigan.

If one of those guys are available, chances are that some other team has them high on their board and might be willing to trade, if not, we need to adjust the board and select the next player.

I think after the third we should go strictly by the board but before that, I feel we have to make adjustments but not necessarily just on need. For example I wouldn't want to reach for a wide receiver way down our board because we need a wide receiver.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think Idzik will look into trading for a WR. We clearly need one and have space to take on a contract. And if it's a legit #1, than I'd be ok with giving up picks.
Rickjets2007

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idzik will fill all of our needs through free agency before the draft. We not get the players we were hoping for like, Jeremy Maclin(signed) or Golden Tate. We will get, at the very least a stop gap player. Whom that is I have no idea. It maybe someone that is yet to be cut.

Anyway, we will have all wholes filled before the draft. That way we can do what is right and go BPA. Even if it is a defender.

As far as receivers go, we may need to over spend a bit on one. It sucks, but with the salary cap going up, we may have to if we want to sign a receiver that can step in and provide an immediate target for Geno Smith.
Davey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simple but relatively true to say that the teams that win by and large are the ones that are most talented, so that's what the draft is about.

It's always about getting the most talented players in the draft. At the same time though, you want to maximize improvement by making sure the most talented players you can get also fill the spots you need help the most. In the first two rounds or so of the draft you can generally expect to land talented players at solid value that shore up some area of weakness in your team. After that though, you've got to just start looking for players that you feel can be future contributors regardless of positions and a good fit for your team philosophically. You can only expect so many players from the draft to fill immediate needs. After the first 2-3 rounds, you've got to start thinking much more about talent and less about position. Because a few years from now when these players start to mature, you really don't know what your needs will be anyway, given how much changes so quickly in the NFL.

It goes without saying that a team that has their quarterback for the next ten years isn't going to take a first round quarterback simply out of good value. But BPA vs. need doesn't have to be this rigid either/or argument based on position. Simply, it's about maximum utility. Offensive skill positions and most defensive positions, you may not need a certain player but if good value falls, you can get them onto the field immediately even if it's just rotation and that player immediately makes you better in addition to the bright future the player's going to have long term.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: