Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

June first cuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yo_Its_T.O.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: June first cuts Reply with quote

Who's staying and going

Thanks EAtotheGLE
aafroe

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking and there is no one obviously gone.

Possibilities include
Hugh
Hollis
Mark Sinineau
Maybe ND Kalu or Mcdougal, but prob not
Jammal Green(though he is a promising center on the team bballl squad)
Reno Mahe
Thomas Tapeh
Josh Parry

That is all I can think of who are even possibilities, and that is just speculation.
Philly Irish

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it say these are gone

mahe
grasmanis
green
parry
short
SIERK

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking cuts taking place on June 1st or shortly thereafter, I would doubt that we'd see any cuts from the Eagles. June 1st cuts are generally overpriced veterans who are cut because of salary cap reasons. There aren't really any candidates on the Eagles.

The guys who have been mentioned are guys who are definitely battling for roster spots. Things change over the offseason once injuries start cropping up.

Grasmanis might make the squad if say Darwin Walker goes down with an ACL tear. Otherwise, he's probably on the short list out of town. There are a bunch of O-Lineman who are battling for just a couple spots. There are way too many mediocre running backs, so McCoo, Mahe, Tapeh, Perry, Parry are all a bit iffy.

Long offseason, though...
PhillyTransplant

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIERK beat me to it but I'll leave the post up anyway:

Why would any of these be cut now? None of them have that high of a cap hit that would need to be spread out. I don't see anybody being cut until training camp unless they make a signing (to some extend I'm counting the drafted).

They've shown with Ephraim and Mitchell and even Wayne that they'll cut they now rather than hang on to them and stretch dead money into another year (June 1st allows dead money to be spread for this season and next season's cap).

While I agree that Grasmanis, Mahe and the rest have some work to ensure they make the roster they're here for a little longer to ensure the team has the depth they want going into camp as well as the season. [By the way, does anyone else think we might keep both Ritchie (if healthy) and Parry? Do you think Parry might be taught the role of a blocking TE? he has decent hands out of the back field just his speed would limit him but that's not a factor with LJ around]

--As a whole, I think alot of people will be frustrated with the June 1st cuts because the quality just isn't there anymore as team learn to work the cap.
SIERK

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. If they are going to keep an extra guy as a blocking tight end, train Scott Young or Calvin Armstrong. Young was a college defensive lineman, so he might have a little more athleticism than your run-of-the-mill OG prospect. He might never catch a pass, but I think roster spots are going to be too rare to bother keeping Parry/Ritchie in addition to L.J., Whalen/Chad Lewis, Bartrum.

Speaking of the RB situation, hopefully they'll all stay healthy and it'll shake out as Westbrook, Buckhalter, Moats, Ritchie. And that's it. Well, I guess if Bruce Perry is healthy, he'll probably make the squad, but I'd still rather go with just 4 RBs and save the roster space for other positions.
aafroe

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Eh. If they are going to keep an extra guy as a blocking tight end, train Scott Young or Calvin Armstrong.

What??
come on dude, you cant just make a lineman a TE.
Thats at the same level as the people who said last year that because JR Reed could return kicks he should get a look at rb.

If anyone the Eagles should see if that 2nd year te Jason Peters is lingering around anywhere. He was like 318 but a legit TE in college at Arkansas (i think)

Last edited by aafroe on Sun May 15, 2005 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
SIERK

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blocking TE is very nearly an O-Lineman anyway. If you'd rather, think of it as a formation with an extra tackle.

My point was more that the depth at O-Line is good, but there are going to be guys who are cut that might turn out to be pretty good because there aren't enough roster spaces.

I'd rather see them keep an extra young O-Lineman rather than 2 fullbacks.
PhillyTransplant

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry maybe I should have clarified -- I think if Whalen doesn't impress enough with his skills and/or LJ's back does look as promising as everyone says it should they might want to keep Parry rather than one of the young guys (who would go on the PS instead)....if we're looking for pure blocking though, you're right - we should keep another young o-line but Parry gives the dimension of catching and blocking and knowledge of the system. I wasn't trying to say it was ideal just that they might try to have him work (even just at training camp) as a hybrid type player that can cover for us at both FB and TE. Think of how many times over the past few years that CLEwis would move behind the line and then stay in to block or stay momentarily and then go out for a short catch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: