Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

MJ Post Combine 3 Round Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikejets22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: MJ Post Combine 3 Round Mock Reply with quote

Free Agency:

TJ Ward, S - Fits our D well. Would be a solid addition to our secondary.

Demarcus Ware, OLB - I know he's not been cut yet, but it makes sense that they do. Add him and Ward to what we have... lights out.

I know these are two big spendings, but that's all I have us doing besides resigning our own and we can pay them this year and next heavily while still developing a lot of youth. I don't care what anyone says, add these two to our defense and we are instant contenders. Both what we've been missing for years: a ball hawk and a pass rusher. We won't be able to keep them and pay some of our young guys that will need to be paid in a few years, but while they are on the team we can make a serious run.

Re-sign:

Howard, RT
Cro, CB (After cut and resign or restructure, or whatever)
Colon, RG - Continuity, keep him on one more year and hope like hell Winters and one of the 2013 mid/late round picks pans out.

The Draft

TRADES:

Kenrick Ellis to Houston for their 3rd(65): After drafting Clowney in the first, Houston adds a cog to the middle. Their dline is now the best in the league, hands down.

Our 1st (18 ) to KC for their 1st (23) and 3rd (87): Here's my thought process on this. We present the opportunity to KC as follows: We would like to trade down. You want ODB. If we aren't able to trade down, we are going to draft ODB (which is clearly not a bluff and not unreasonable, ODB would be a good pick at 18 for us).

1(23): Brandin Cooks, WR

I know every body wants a big WR, but this kid goes up and fights for the ball like a big receiver. Exactly the type of guy Geno was successful with at WVU. Playmaker.

2(49): Jordan Matthews, WR

I think he is a first round talent who will fall. I could even see him falling past this pick - but the Jets don't risk it and grab him while he's here.

3(65)HOU Trade: Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB

Just makes it to the 3rd round before we snag him. Perfect for what we need. Want him in G&W so bad. He can learn under Ware for a few years and be used situationally before taking over as starter.

3(69)TB's Pick: Troy Niklas, TE

Not the immediate big time threat that some of the earlier TE's are, but we all know he can block and has the tools to develop into a solid, dependable TE receiving. We have had some of the worst blocking TE's the last few years, this should help.

3(80): Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB

Rex can't not draft a CB, right? Reminds me of a SLIGHTLY more physical Cromartie, just based on his length. Not as fast or athletic as Cro, but his length can be a huge advantage.

3(87) KC Trade: Arthur Lynch, TE

Another solid, reliable TE. Again, not flashy, but can block and can develop into a reliable TE for Geno. We'd be able to run the crap out of the ball in our 2 TE sets and work one hell of a play action out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of trading and what ifs. But I love the players you have us drafting.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
A lot of trading and what ifs. But I love the players you have us drafting.

Yea, 2 trades. I was looking at who to trade down with, and I tried to make it realistic. I think that proposal to KC makes sense. I don't really know if teams work trades like that, but if they did, I think that's a win-win for both.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I think it's realistic
rampantjet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all of then players, I like the trade back. Not positive that Matthews will be there are our 2nd round pick, I actually expected people to jump on me for taking him in the very early 2nd in my mock, but I would love to get Cooks and Matthews. I like getting Ware and Ward, that would make our D pretty insane, but the one thing that worries me is that while I love Cooks and Matthews, having 2 rookies as our 1 and 2 WR is scary. I think we'd need to bring in a vet in FA just for someone we can count on since you never know how long it will take a rookie WR to adjust.
Imarobot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the picks. Honestly Cooks and Matthews seems like close to an ideal situation to me. (other than Cooks being there in the 2nd allowing us to take Dennard in the first). Only thing I don't like is using more than one pick on a tightend. If we take one early I think we're set with that rookie and Cumberland and I'd probably rather use the pick on a guard or a runningback.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I really like how it turned it out with Cooks and Matthews, I don't think it is likely that we head into the draft without adding a WR. Way too risky.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not understanding why people keep having us trade Ellis.

I think he's a pretty important piece to the DL. He's worth more if we keep him, IMO.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
Rich51

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:

I think he's a pretty important piece to the DL. He's worth more if we keep him, IMO.

I agree
mikejets22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:

It's not necessarily something I want to do, but I do see it as a possibility.
We can bring in dline depth, and if we can get 3rd round value I could definitely see Idzik considering it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
While I really like how it turned it out with Cooks and Matthews, I don't think it is likely that we head into the draft without adding a WR. Way too risky.

I agree, 2 rookie WR is probably a bad idea, I just don't think any of the FAWR are worth what they are going to be paid.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikejets22 wrote:
green24 wrote:

I agree, 2 rookie WR is probably a bad idea, I just don't think any of the FAWR are worth what they are going to be paid.

We still can't enter the draft with Stephen Hill and David Nelson as our starters. We won't know who will be available for us in the draft.
Kyu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love signing T. Ward, but I don't think the Browns will let him go.
I've been on the fence about potentially sign D. Ware, but depending on the cost, I'm always for adding pass rushers.
I also like the resignings of A. Howard, Cro, and W. Colon.
Not a fan of trading Ellis; I know that D. Harrison is a beast, but expecting him to play every snap is unrealistic.
I think they should rotate and keep each other fresh.
I like the trade down, but am not a fan of double dipping on WR that early.
I know you didn't add any FA WR's, but expecting big things from two rookie receivers is a bit of a reach.
I'd prefer Jor. Matthews at 23 because I don't think he makes it to our second.
I think we can go BPA for the rest of the draft while looking for TE and DB help.
Emmanuelv13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Niklas and SJB make it to their respected draft spots. They're both late 2nd round guys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: