Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Daniel Kilgore Signs an Extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39974
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

struby3 wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
^ yeah, never really envisioned us drafting a C, unless they didn't think Kilgore would cut it.. which I now assume they do.



I don't think we'd draft a C specifically to challenge Kilgore. I think we might draft a lineman who can play all 3 interior spots. Iu and Snyder will be free agents after the season.


They must like Seymour since they used a 53 man roster spot on him late last season. He can play all three interior spots. So can Al Netter, although I doubt they are high on him, being as they have cut him about 30 times.


Really? I knew Netter played at G and T, but he's played C also? If so, cool.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13264
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 2 min
49ers C Daniel Kilgore extension avgs $1.8M per season w/ escalators of $900K available in last two years, plus $900K in incentives in '17.



Seems Boone-esque. Let's hope he has the same impact on the field.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
iwentundrafted


Joined: 18 Aug 2012
Posts: 3445
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Quote:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 2 min
49ers C Daniel Kilgore extension avgs $1.8M per season w/ escalators of $900K available in last two years, plus $900K in incentives in '17.



Seems Boone-esque. Let's hope he has the same impact on the field.


Quote:
Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 20m
Daniel Kilgore's 3-year extension with SF is worth $5.4M (plus $1.8M in escalators). He has $2.595M in guarantees ($1.35M signing bonus).


Just another way to see how it is broken down.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
struby3


Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 3831
Location: Iowa City
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
struby3 wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
^ yeah, never really envisioned us drafting a C, unless they didn't think Kilgore would cut it.. which I now assume they do.



I don't think we'd draft a C specifically to challenge Kilgore. I think we might draft a lineman who can play all 3 interior spots. Iu and Snyder will be free agents after the season.


They must like Seymour since they used a 53 man roster spot on him late last season. He can play all three interior spots. So can Al Netter, although I doubt they are high on him, being as they have cut him about 30 times.


Really? I knew Netter played at G and T, but he's played C also? If so, cool.


I don't know for sure, as I've never seen it. But Barrows tweeted that "They don't need to [draft a center]. Snyder, Looney can also player there. Maybe Netter too". So maybe it is purely speculation that Netter could get a look there.
_________________
And on the eighth day, God created Iowa.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13264
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

struby3 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
struby3 wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
^ yeah, never really envisioned us drafting a C, unless they didn't think Kilgore would cut it.. which I now assume they do.



I don't think we'd draft a C specifically to challenge Kilgore. I think we might draft a lineman who can play all 3 interior spots. Iu and Snyder will be free agents after the season.


They must like Seymour since they used a 53 man roster spot on him late last season. He can play all three interior spots. So can Al Netter, although I doubt they are high on him, being as they have cut him about 30 times.


Really? I knew Netter played at G and T, but he's played C also? If so, cool.


I don't know for sure, as I've never seen it. But Barrows tweeted that "They don't need to [draft a center]. Snyder, Looney can also player there. Maybe Netter too". So maybe it is purely speculation that Netter could get a look there.



But really, with two potential back-ups at C, how many do we actually need? We only dress 7 linemen on gameday anyway. I think Looney only dressed while Iu was injured, last year, and he only played when Staley missed a few plays at the same time. We won't be dressing 8 OL, so we don't really have a need for a C for this year. I feel it's more important to find someone who plays tackle at this point, and hopefully that guy is either Marquardt or Bykowski. Next year perhaps we add someone, I think.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14013
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Funny, I had always sort of expected this move. I thought it may even happen last season. Not a pat on my own back or anything... just always felt good about all that I'd seen of Kilgore.. and had a hunch that he would one day be our future at C. Can't wait to see what he can do as a starter!


I don't think we have anyone on the roster now that can play C, do we? I know Snyder plays almost every position on the o-line, but do we have another center? If not, then time to pick one up, preferably one with some potential, and one who can push Kilgore. When do people think Swanson will go? The USC center has only played 3 years of college ball and two of those were at G. So maybe he has a bigger upside than some of the other guys. If Kilgore is the starter we could afford to develop someone. On the other hand, if Kilgore got hurt he'd have to play so it has to be someone close to NFL-ready.

i also think we need a center. even even we are planning to roll with kilgore as our starter

but borrows said this
Quote:
@mattbarrows 6h
They don't need to. Snyder, Looney also can play there. Maybe Netter, too ... @bruh831 so 49ers not drafting a C this year?


The fact that a guy can fill-in in case of an emergency doesn't mean he wouldn't be a liability if forced to play there for an extended period of time, nor does it mean you wouldn't want a young guy to develop. Not one of those three guys is a "true center" and we know very little at all about the ability of two of the three of them.

If Kilgore does replace Goodwin and we let Goodwin go our starting line should be as strong as it's been the past couple of years, maybe even better if Kilgore plays well. But behind those guys it's almost a complete unkown, possibly a real problem for us. We've got Snyder who can play anywhere, not great but at least OK. After that??? No real center on the roster. The only two backup OTs have zero experience between them. One of the backup Gs also has no experience and the other has a few plays spread across 4 games. Of those four guys two were UDFAs, one was a 7th rounder, and Looney was a 4th rounder. On paper that's got to be one of the worst sets of backup o-linemen in the league. I'm expecting us to take a C/G prospect and maybe another o-line guy too.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ers Finest


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 8983
Location: San Jose
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more than I thought. But I doubt he gets those incentives. So about a mill per. Good deal for us. Hope this country boy dominates up front
_________________
***WE RUN THE WEST!***
SB AT HOME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

new sig... sorry alex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13264
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Funny, I had always sort of expected this move. I thought it may even happen last season. Not a pat on my own back or anything... just always felt good about all that I'd seen of Kilgore.. and had a hunch that he would one day be our future at C. Can't wait to see what he can do as a starter!


I don't think we have anyone on the roster now that can play C, do we? I know Snyder plays almost every position on the o-line, but do we have another center? If not, then time to pick one up, preferably one with some potential, and one who can push Kilgore. When do people think Swanson will go? The USC center has only played 3 years of college ball and two of those were at G. So maybe he has a bigger upside than some of the other guys. If Kilgore is the starter we could afford to develop someone. On the other hand, if Kilgore got hurt he'd have to play so it has to be someone close to NFL-ready.

i also think we need a center. even even we are planning to roll with kilgore as our starter

but borrows said this
Quote:
@mattbarrows 6h
They don't need to. Snyder, Looney also can play there. Maybe Netter, too ... @bruh831 so 49ers not drafting a C this year?


The fact that a guy can fill-in in case of an emergency doesn't mean he wouldn't be a liability if forced to play there for an extended period of time, nor does it mean you wouldn't want a young guy to develop. Not one of those three guys is a "true center" and we know very little at all about the ability of two of the three of them.

If Kilgore does replace Goodwin and we let Goodwin go our starting line should be as strong as it's been the past couple of years, maybe even better if Kilgore plays well. But behind those guys it's almost a complete unkown, possibly a real problem for us. We've got Snyder who can play anywhere, not great but at least OK. After that??? No real center on the roster. The only two backup OTs have zero experience between them. One of the backup Gs also has no experience and the other has a few plays spread across 4 games. Of those four guys two were UDFAs, one was a 7th rounder, and Looney was a 4th rounder. On paper that's got to be one of the worst sets of backup o-linemen in the league. I'm expecting us to take a C/G prospect and maybe another o-line guy too.



Same could have been said these last three years. We had Goodwin, then we had Kilgore who had never really played C before. He was a guard in college. If the staff was willing to go into the season with an unknown backing up at C (Kilgore), then why wouldn't they be willing to go into another season with an unknown backing up Kilgore? I know it's not ideal. Ideally, you'd want to have probowlers backing up every starter on your roster (who would also be probowlers themselves). But that's not going to happen. Now, if we were talking about wide receivers, I'd be worried, considering the success rate of Baalke. But the way we've been managing the OL these last three years has been very good. If Looney hadn't shown enough, he'd probably be gone by now. Yes, we took him in the 4th, but he had an injury to explain the drop. I think he has legitimate talent.

If we draft an interior lineman this year, it probably won't be for an immediate impact, i.e. he won't be backing up Kilgore. It would be a move geared towards next year.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group