Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alterraun Verner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dionysus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin615$ wrote:
I say cut CJ, David Stewart, and Kamerion Wimbley for sure. We also need to try and get Craig Steven to take a pay cut.

That idea is what I'm really hoping for. For some unknown reason, it seems like the guy's been swept under the rug and basically written off. I think he could be a valuable part of the offense, but he can't do it sitting on the bench. Hopefully we can retain him and get him back in the game. All of this chatter about him being just a blocker or being ineffective in the passing game is a load of nonsense. His blocking is his strongpoint, but I've also seen the guy get up the field and make some pretty nice grabs as well. Let's try to keep him and make better use of him...at the freakin' TE spot where he belongs, not HB/FB and all that other crap.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynesworth was great in 2008 and pretty darn good in 2007. That does not constitute a great player in my eyes.

Has never started more than 14 games in a year.

He was great for two seasons (played an average of 13.5 games). Good the few seasons before that but only played an average of 11 games per season during that stretch and made stupid penalties. Terrible every season since then and not only was he not worth the money, he wasn't even starter material on 3 different teams.

Far from a great player.
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not undersell him. He was great in 2007 and the best defensive player in football in 2008. Had one of the biggest impacts of any defensive players I have ever seen. He was also lazy and only in it for the money, so his post-Tennessee failures were expected and it's why most of us were happy that we chose not to come close to matching Washington's offer.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Haynesworth was great in 2008 and pretty darn good in 2007. That does not constitute a great player in my eyes.

Has never started more than 14 games in a year.

He was great for two seasons (played an average of 13.5 games). Good the few seasons before that but only played an average of 11 games per season during that stretch and made stupid penalties. Terrible every season since then and not only was he not worth the money, he wasn't even starter material on 3 different teams.

Far from a great player.

Adding my two cents to this...I agree 100%.

During his great 2-year spurt, I was saying the whole time that he was only playing for a new contract. After the second year, I figured we could make him a very fair and sensible offer, but NOTHING anywhere close to what the Deadskins offered. IMO, he acted like a real b-tch about playing in a 3-4 which was totally inexcusable. I don't care WHAT they ask of you, when you're getting paid $100M, you STFU and just do your damn job. He basically ripped off the Redskins because he didn't earn a penny of the money he did get. They pretty much just paid him to sign his name because that's all they got out of him.

Big Al was not a great player, not because he lacked the ability, but because of his attitude first and foremost and his poor work ethic. He ran himself right out of the league and got no one to blame but himself.
Rolling Eyes
TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Let's not undersell him. He was great in 2007 and the best defensive player in football in 2008. Had one of the biggest impacts of any defensive players I have ever seen. He was also lazy and only in it for the money, so his post-Tennessee failures were expected and it's why most of us were happy that we chose not to come close to matching Washington's offer.

I don't think our opinions of Haynesworth differ so much as our definition of a great player. I agree with you about 2007 and 2008.

I was happy we didn't resign him before the 2009 season even started.

History tells us that signings of that nature are rarely worth it. Of course, the Titans would look like fools if he turned out to be the best DT to play the game, but that is the risk involved and I would rather side with history than hope.
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
titans0021 wrote:

I don't think our opinions of Haynesworth differ so much as our definition of a great player. I agree with you about 2007 and 2008.

I was happy we didn't resign him before the 2009 season even started.

History tells us that signings of that nature are rarely worth it. Of course, the Titans would look like fools if he turned out to be the best DT to play the game, but that is the risk involved and I would rather side with history than hope.
I certainly agree that, when people look back at his career, he won't be considered a great football player, but man, that two year stretch was one of the best I've seen from a defensive player.

But yeah, I was happy we didn't give him that contract the second it was announced.

Actually, just went back to the thread that was made after the contract was announced. My post was as follows:

titans0021 wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Honestly, that is all. 7 years/100 million? 41 in guarantees. I don't know what to say other than the above.

Yeah, 2009 titans0021 wasn't the most impressive of posters. Laughing

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in my search for that Haynesworth thread, I ended up looking at all of the threads from that playoff game against Baltimore in Jan. of 2009. And my day is ruined.

The non-call on the delay of game still haunts me. And I have successfully been reminded of why I do and always will hate Ed Reed.

Looking back at some of the posts from opposing fans, I'm baffled as to how I didn't get banned that day.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
-CJ28MVP-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Bryant anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: