Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

General NFL Draft Talk- Giants 1st pick at 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
bucsEST96 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
bucsEST96 wrote:
Mike mayock, the only draft guy I praise, called the Pugh pick out of now where last year( had to have info inside for that) says we need to go WR or OL as of now.

I think IMHO the pick is gonna be kelvin Benjamin

No chance. Hes not worth being picked at 12. We could pick him in 2nd round.

I agree. Unless Benjamin has a great combine and pro day I can't justify any WR except Watkins at 12

But guess what, that combine is this weekrnd, I'm sure he'rues to the occasion

So...running fast in the combine or putting up a lot of reps is going to make the Giants want him more? I don't recall that having much impact in the past...

The main thing the Giants look at is how many backflips can they do

Good one...ha
bucsEST96

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
bucsEST96 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
bucsEST96 wrote:
Mike mayock, the only draft guy I praise, called the Pugh pick out of now where last year( had to have info inside for that) says we need to go WR or OL as of now.

I think IMHO the pick is gonna be kelvin Benjamin

No chance. Hes not worth being picked at 12. We could pick him in 2nd round.

I agree. Unless Benjamin has a great combine and pro day I can't justify any WR except Watkins at 12

But guess what, that combine is this weekrnd, I'm sure he'rues to the occasion

So...running fast in the combine or putting up a lot of reps is going to make the Giants want him more? I don't recall that having much impact in the past...

Um yes, that's the point of the combine.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
Points will be credited. 4 points for 1st round, 3 points for 2nd round, 2 for 3rd and 1 for 4th
In the past 4 drafts, Our top 4 picks are:

2013:
OT 4
DT 3
DE 2
QB 1

2012:
rb 4
wr 3
cb 2
te 1

2011:
cb 4
dt 3
wr 2
ot 1

2010:
de 4
dt 3
s 2
lb 1

25 points defense
16 points offense

We have been drafting defense in the earlier rounds... majority of our defense is YOUNG.
in 2013...
JPP, Moore, Hankins, joseph, williams, prince, will hill, hosely were all under 25. hell, even stevie brown is 27 and beason is 28.

now i dont think we should go out and sign Mack. I love EDS and think him and Asamoah would be great for us... but so would a second round guard like yankey.

Beatty-asamoah-EDS-Yankey-Pugh would be an outstanding line for Eli..

What if you get the right player but in a different round?

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one of the three freaks that I wanted for the Giants has already put on a show. Greg Robinson. 6'5" 332, 35" arms, 32 reps, 4.84 forty, 1.68 10 yard split. And you just look at the guy, the way his body is built is tremendous. I expect Watkins and Clowney to follow in his footsteps tomorrow and Monday.

Taylor Lewan did well for himself as well. In terms of physical ability, Robinson and Lewan are ahead of Jake Matthews. If we are in the market for a OT, and it certainly sounds like we are, we may end up with Matthews at #12. Matthews ran a 4.91, which is very good. But he doesn't look quite as physical as either Robinson or Lewan.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Well, one of the three freaks that I wanted for the Giants has already put on a show. Greg Robinson. 6'5" 332, 35" arms, 32 reps, 4.84 forty, 1.68 10 yard split. And you just look at the guy, the way his body is built is tremendous. I expect Watkins and Clowney to follow in his footsteps tomorrow and Monday.

Taylor Lewan did well for himself as well. In terms of physical ability, Robinson and Lewan are ahead of Jake Matthews. If we are in the market for a OT, and it certainly sounds like we are, we may end up with Matthews at #12. Matthews ran a 4.91, which is very good. But he doesn't look quite as physical as either Robinson or Lewan.

Robinson is one of the best OT in recent years from a physical standpoint. If he falls to us I want him ASAP.
A report surfaced of Lewan and he allegedly sexually assaulted a woman and assaulted someone else... Not sure I want that kind of baggage in the first round, but I haven't looked into it extensively.
Matthews isn't physically gifted, but he is technically sound and a good tackle. Probably better than Joeckle, and is good value at 12... but I'd rather trade down than take him. I would rather focus on the interior line.
Speaking of Xavier Su'a-Filo looks good too. Not sure how many reps he had but his drills looked pretty good.

Can we start a combine thread?
Acgott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Robinson is one of the best OT in recent years from a physical standpoint. If he falls to us I want him ASAP.
A report surfaced of Lewan and he allegedly sexually assaulted a woman and assaulted someone else... Not sure I want that kind of baggage in the first round, but I haven't looked into it extensively.
Matthews isn't physically gifted, but he is technically sound and a good tackle. Probably better than Joeckle, and is good value at 12... but I'd rather trade down than take him. I would rather focus on the interior line.
Speaking of Xavier Su'a-Filo looks good too. Not sure how many reps he had but his drills looked pretty good.

Can we start a combine thread?

You can start any thread you want. You don't need permission
Gmen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the combine out of the way, let's take a look at how things will shake out.

Elite players. As good as gone when we pick :

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Sammy Watkins
3. Greg Robinson

QBs that should be selected above 12 :

4. Johnny Manzel
5. Blake Bortles
6. Teddy Bridgewater - I think he might fall, but hopefully not

That leaves 5 more players that will be selected before we get our hands on a pick. Looking at the best players available...

7. Khalil Mack - Mayock is really high on him. Doubtful he falls to us. He's borderline in the elite category.
8. Jake Matthews - Technically sound. Good combine. Probably won't fall to us. We need a tackle.
9. Taylor Lewan - Great display of athleticism. Character issues are only concern. We need a tackle.
10. Justin Gilbert - Good size, long arms, and fast. We need a corner.
11. Mike Evans - Measured out as expected. Long arms, ran well. We need a #1 receiver when Nicks leaves.

This would be my worst case scenario. If we can't get one of the elite players, and none of the 5 players mentioned above fall to us, I would hope for a trade down. I'm hoping one of players mentioned below, who also had good combines, entices a team to draft them in the top 12, which would allow one of the 5 players I mentioned to fall.

12. Anthony Barr - Measured out bigger than expected. Doesn't fit our system.
13. Aaron Donald - Overshadowed by Clowney, but had a great combine. My concern is how he does against the run due to his size.
14. Eric Ebron - Solid performance, but not an elite athlete. I don't want the Giants spending a 1st on a TE.
15. CJ Mosely - I just don't see the Giants drafting a linebacker in the first round.

From my viewpoint, the Giants are in a situation where we might be just out of reach of a great player. If I were Jerry Reese, I would be tempted to trade up a few spots to ensure we can grab Lewan, Matthews or Gilbert OR, trade way down in the first round and accumulate picks.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
reckless123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should go Roby or one of the Florida corners in round 2 and go either Zach Martin/Lewan or perhaps Louis Nix III/Jernigan/Mosley.

"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
EliMcAdoo2014

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Donald should be the pick.

If we pass on Donald, Cowboys will snatch him up at 16.

Do we really want to face Donald twice a year in the division for the next 10 years?
Acgott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliMcAdoo2014 wrote:
.Aaron Donald should be the pick.

If we pass on Donald, Cowboys will snatch him up at 16.

Do we really want to face Donald twice a year in the division for the next 10 years?

1st welcome to the forums! Feel free to introduce yourself here
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=208171

2nd, I would have no problem drafting him in the 1st if he is the BPA. Though I would imagine that Linval would have left in FA.

I will never argue with reloading our defensive line which we DESPERATELY need to do
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Raanan of NJ.com reports that NYG will be in the market for a guard or two via FA. He named Asamoah, Schwartz, Luavo, Beadles, and Rinehart as possible targets. Snee and Baas are expected to be back and the Giants are counting on a bounce back season from Beatty... So hopefully all of the first round OL speculation can stop now.
mlv

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
Jordan Raanan of NJ.com reports that NYG will be in the market for a guard or two via FA. He named Asamoah, Schwartz, Luavo, Beadles, and Rinehart as possible targets. Snee and Baas are expected to be back and the Giants are counting on a bounce back season from Beatty... So hopefully all of the first round OL speculation can stop now.

I can understand Baas being back, because the savings aren't that big if the Giants cut him (although they are bigger if he's a post June 1st cut from what I understand). But if Snee is brought back, even at a reduced rate, that will be all the proof that I need that Tom Coughlin has too much power in this organization (and Jerry Reese doesn't have enough).

Old, declining player, coming off major injuries with a high salary cap figure? Reese cuts guys like that all the time. So why is Snee still on the roster? Because he married Coughlin's daughter, and that's it. The nepotism stinks to high heaven, and it's going to cost us in free agency. I want JR to cut this clown and give his money to Beason and Linval, but I'm becoming less optimistic this will happen.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlv wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:

I can understand Baas being back, because the savings aren't that big if the Giants cut him (although they are bigger if he's a post June 1st cut from what I understand). But if Snee is brought back, even at a reduced rate, that will be all the proof that I need that Tom Coughlin has too much power in this organization (and Jerry Reese doesn't have enough).

Old, declining player, coming off major injuries with a high salary cap figure? Reese cuts guys like that all the time. So why is Snee still on the roster? Because he married Coughlin's daughter, and that's it. The nepotism stinks to high heaven, and it's going to cost us in free agency. I want JR to cut this clown and give his money to Beason and Linval, but I'm becoming less optimistic this will happen.

That isn't completely true nor fair. Why is it okay to keep Baas? He's an old, declining player. We kept webster at a reduced rate - also an old, declining player. We kept Tuck after he had two years of horrible play. Kiwi is old and declining, we are keeping him at a non-reduced rate. But when it comes to Snee its automatically because he is Coughlins son-in-law? Really? It has NOTHING to do with Snee anchoring the line for oh idk 10 years and maybe if he can get truly healthy Snee at a reduced rate is cheaper than another FA? Thats irrelevant? Come on man...
mlv

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
That isn't completely true nor fair. Why is it okay to keep Baas? He's an old, declining player. We kept webster at a reduced rate - also an old, declining player. We kept Tuck after he had two years of horrible play. Kiwi is old and declining, we are keeping him at a non-reduced rate. But when it comes to Snee its automatically because he is Coughlins son-in-law? Really? It has NOTHING to do with Snee anchoring the line for oh idk 10 years and maybe if he can get truly healthy Snee at a reduced rate is cheaper than another FA? Thats irrelevant? Come on man...

Off the top of my head, cutting Baas would save $1.8 million of cap room. Cutting Snee saves almost $7 million in cap room. Huge difference. We also have no alternative to Baas on the roster, unless Reese drafts a center early and he's handed the job without competition, which we know isn't happening. Cordle is not an NFL starter.

Same thing with Kiwi. Not much cap savings if we cut Kiwi. Plus, he is 30 (I think), Snee is 32, two years is a big difference in football years. Kiwi was also not coming off major injuries last year. Snee has had two hip surgeries, and an elbow surgery. I don't really care about the elbow surgery, but the hip surgery is concerning for a offensive lineman that pulls.

Webster took a big pay cut and wasn't coming off a major surgery. Tuck came off two lousy years but he's had value as a run stopping DE, and he's also the captain.

Snee hasn't anchored the line for 10 years. He was the best player for about 6 of those years and has been declining since 2009, or 2008. He has been flat out horrible in recent years and is nowhere near the player he once was. He's a total waste of a roster spot. It's wishful thinking to say he's going to turn back the clock and play like 2008 Chris Snee if he stays healthy. So yes, when Reese has cut older guys like Petitgout, O'Hara and Seubert after suffering serious injuries during the previous years, but Snee remains on the team, it's solely because of nepotism in my eyes.

The Giants can sign (or re-sign) two more good players with the cap savings from Snee's release. And I don't want him on the roster at all, even for veteran minimum, because he is the ultimate Coughlin guy and he WILL start him.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlv wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:

Off the top of my head, cutting Baas would save $1.8 million of cap room. Cutting Snee saves almost $7 million in cap room. Huge difference. We also have no alternative to Baas on the roster, unless Reese drafts a center early and he's handed the job without competition, which we know isn't happening. Cordle is not an NFL starter.

Same thing with Kiwi. Not much cap savings if we cut Kiwi. Plus, he is 30 (I think), Snee is 32, two years is a big difference in football years. Kiwi was also not coming off major injuries last year. Snee has had two hip surgeries, and an elbow surgery. I don't really care about the elbow surgery, but the hip surgery is concerning for a offensive lineman that pulls.

Webster took a big pay cut and wasn't coming off a major surgery. Tuck came off two lousy years but he's had value as a run stopping DE, and he's also the captain.

Snee hasn't anchored the line for 10 years. He was the best player for about 6 of those years and has been declining since 2009, or 2008. He has been flat out horrible in recent years and is nowhere near the player he once was. He's a total waste of a roster spot. It's wishful thinking to say he's going to turn back the clock and play like 2008 Chris Snee if he stays healthy. So yes, when Reese has cut older guys like Petitgout, O'Hara and Seubert after suffering serious injuries during the previous years, but Snee remains on the team, it's solely because of nepotism in my eyes.

The Giants can sign (or re-sign) two more good players with the cap savings from Snee's release. And I don't want him on the roster at all, even for veteran minimum, because he is the ultimate Coughlin guy and he WILL start him.

Cordle actually settled in pretty well in the center job prior to tearing his ACL. What guards do we have on the roster? Brewer? Mosley? Reynolds? There is no depth at guard just like there is no depth at center... So thats a moot point.

Kiwi was one of the worst DE in the league last year. He got stupid penalties in crucial times.

Snee is also taking a big pay cut - just like Webster. And Snee is a captain as well. Why does that not matter when it comes to Snee?

Why is it okay to keep Kiwi who is a horrible DE but not bring Snee back at a cheaper price? Tuck turned back the clock. Why can't Snee. He's had an entire year to rehab and he said he feels great. Just like Tuck did. We kept Diehl. We kept Webster. We are keeping Kiwi. Maybe the cap savings aren't that great - but they are there.

Snee will take a pay cut and stay with the team. It is a move I agree with. It has nothing to do with favoritism. We need depth. We need leadership. When we cut o'hara and seubert we had starters behind them. Who do we have? No one.

You're excluding Snee from every reason you're okay with keeping someone else. What did the guy ever do to you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 21 of 67

Jump to: